Archive for Friday, June 29, 2012

Post-birth concern

June 29, 2012

To the editor:

A recent letter from a “pro-life” Eudora woman states, “I will always advocate for those most helpless, especially the unborn.” Actually, most of the “unborn” don’t need much help until they are “born.” I guess that means that she, along with other pro-life individuals, are in favor of helping the “born” who may need social services during the course of their lifetime including affordable health care, access to nutritional foods, a good education, affordable housing and a variety of disability services from birth through old age.

If services in these areas are being cut or eliminated, as is happening in Kansas, then I would suggest that the “unborn” as well as the “born” are not being aided and supported. True acts of compassion are best demonstrated when life leaves the womb.

Comments

appleaday 2 years, 4 months ago

They're really not much interested in helping the unborn, either. Good prenatal care can help prevent premature births, some birth defects, and other problems that can affect children the rest of their lives. Many poor or young women who are pregnant do not get adequate prenatal care because they lack insurance or the means to pay for this care. What they don't understand is that a little money spent providing prenatal care can prevent severe, lifelong problems that are very expensive to treat.

Abdu Omar 2 years, 4 months ago

Did this come from Fox News or some other "good" souce?

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 4 months ago

"If you're preborn, you're fine. If you're preschool, you're #$%^&*!" - George Carlin

Phil Minkin 2 years, 4 months ago

The Supreme Court's ruling say the mandate is a tax, makes Romneycare in Mass. responsible for one of the largest tax hikes in state history. He raised taxes, the state has better healthcare and cost are now going down. A good model for the country.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 4 months ago

In a way things were better in the past before people were over educated in certain matters and started to show off the words they had learned. All that education did was to distance women from their children and their husbands. Their girl friends started to mean more to them. I also remember when unmarried mothers were treated most cruelly and few cared what happened to them or to the babies they carried.
I think we should see each other as brothers and sisters and act accordingly keeping in mind that people are always going to argue about single mothers, abortion, health care, etc.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 4 months ago

"In a way things were better in the past....when unmarried mothers were treated most cruelly and few cared what happened to them or to the babies they carried. "

Do I need to say anything?

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 4 months ago

cait48 you edited my comment to say something that I did not say. You left out a few words that were between past and when. I am not in favor of anyone being treated cruelly. I felt for those girls I went to high school with who were outcast for carrying a child. I did not and do not understand why people could just dismiss them and their babies so easily. This is a very complex subject and unmarried mothers are individuals with different kinds of lives and needs. But, they are not the only ones who are invisible. Please correct what you wrote about me. Thank you.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 4 months ago

I apologize, frankie. In some ways, things actually were better in the past. It's why all of my friends are looking around and saying, "What? We have to fight this s**t all over again?" I gave birth to my third child in a small, rural, county hospital in 1991. The town was the county seat and 50 miles from the closest "metropolitan" area. (Joplin. Which isn't exactly Kansas City or Topeka.) I remember that there were ten women in my prenatal class at the county health department. Half of those "women" were in high school. One, who was a senior, was there, pregnant with her second child. None of them were married. I recently read a statistic from the Guttmacher Institute. It stated that the highest rates of teen pregnancy were in red states, most likely a result of "abstinence only" sex education.

asixbury 2 years, 4 months ago

Is it not more important to take care of those of us already born?

xclusive85 2 years, 4 months ago

From the first letter: "I will always advocate for those most helpless, especially the unborn." What the letter writer interpreted: I will always advocate for those most helpless, but that is only the unborn.