Archive for Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Archaic beliefs

June 20, 2012

To the editor:

Jill Cannon made sense in her guest column regarding state interference in women’s health. Sadly, her statements will fall on deaf ears. Whether it’s opposition to Planned Parenthood, contraception or abortion, gray-haired old men and unmarried clergymen will oppose women’s decisions on reproductive rights.

While they try to convince us they’re protecting the unborn, the need to dominate women is at the core of their crusade. Keep the “little woman”  pregnant, in the kitchen and dependent by controlling the money. As she tries to provide for her children, the man will have complete authority over her.

To find where this animosity comes from, our conservative, evangelistic brothers will need to trace their roots to the Bible. It’s likely they’ve  never forgiven Eve and  Eve’s daughters for the Garden of Eden episode. Although it didn’t take much effort to dupe Adam, the blame for introducing sin into the world is laid at Eve’s feet. As a result, they’re convinced that no woman has the moral fortitude to make the right decision and they make sure we are reminded of that daily.

You may win a few battles, but you won’t win this war, gentlemen. This younger generation of males will not be governed by such archaic beliefs. They want equal partners, not subservient robots. How sad that our Topeka legislators are dominated by mind-sets dating back to the last century. It’s time for women to fight back at the ballot box. In the 2012 election, get out and vote for those candidates representing your best interests.

Comments

Lawrence Morgan 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm also offended deeply by this talk about grey-haired men. I am grey-haired, and I feel that your comment is ageist. You do not in any way describe me, or many other men. Your letter is very much against older men, and I resent that. Younger men are much the same - they have all kinds of feelings. It does not have to do with color of hair, or age.

tange 1 year, 10 months ago

Arkaic beliefs: that women are vessels and the unborn are cargo.

/ and that captains... are

Armstrong 1 year, 10 months ago

This is so hysterical it's hard to figure which part to start ripping. Here is just one classic point.

It’s time for women to fight back at the ballot box. In the 2012 election, get out and vote for those candidates representing your best interests.

Anna are you talking about just your interests ? It sounds like you're not happy unless dead babies are involved, some poeple find that objectionable and not in their or the babies interest.

Liberty275 1 year, 10 months ago

Whine all day about "women's decisions regarding their bodies, but until you find yourself concerned with every American citizen's right to make decisions regarding their bodies, you are a hypocrite.

That's the difference between libertarians and liberal/progressive/whatever. We care about everyone's rights all the time. You only care about your cause-du-jour.

Also, I have gray hair and I am probably more pro-abortion than you could stand to be.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 10 months ago

I am offended by all this negative talk about old, gray men. They do not deserved to be stereotyped more than any other group. Pick one man whose views you don't like and then dispute those views. The reader can then choose for themselves which once they agree with.

shotgun 1 year, 10 months ago

Right on Anna! You sure got a rise out of the hateful old grey men! I happen to be an old grey man who agrees with you!

I am so tired of the loose use of the terms conservative and liberal. People wake up! There is so much between those worn out bookends!

Time to get over the fact that a great American Hero (John Mc Cain) got beat by OH MY! a black man!!!! I realize you were heart broken because that good lookin' doofus (Sarah Palin) really turned you on, ironically she is what brought him down. Quit your whining and get on with life.

denak 1 year, 10 months ago

Wow, where to begin. It is letters like these that give women a bad name. The letter is devoid of reason and is filled with nothing more than outlandish stereotypes and conjecture. It is also demeaning to women. Women are not mindless idiots who can not defend themselves nor do they all think alike. There are many women in various different professions, including the clergy, the legal fields, and politics, that do not support abortion or the government's interference in the free practice of religion. They are not subserviant, mindless robots nor are they married to cavemen who want to put them back in the kitchen. They are not puppets of a vast "war on women" or grey haired men with some sort of Eve complex. Women make up the majority of college graduates in this country. Nine out of the ten fastest growing jobs in the U.S. are female dominated. And 40% of households now have a woman who outearns her husband. And contrary to the hysterical tone of this letter, 99% of American women have used and/or have access to birth control. Lastly, women do not need a new breed of men--not governed by archiac beliefs--to marry/rescue us. I think we can figure it out ourselves--grey haired old men notwithstanding.

Jason Bowers-Chaika 1 year, 10 months ago

Men, if you are against abortion, then get a vasectomy. Otherwise, an egg is not a chicken.

bisky1 1 year, 10 months ago

get out of the house much anna?

Timothy Eugene 1 year, 10 months ago

Scientists discover life on the moon, a one-celled organism!

"What a celebration of life!" proclaim the scientists. "We must do all we can to protect this fragile life form!"

Woman discover she is pregnant because she wanted to have sex.

"It's just a mass of cells. KILL IT!" Scream the scientists. "It's her right!"

Mike Ford 1 year, 10 months ago

BornAgainAmerican 1 year, 10 months ago

Is it any wonder that more women are coming over to the Romney camp by the day? War on Women...Sheeeeesh!!!

tbaker 1 year, 10 months ago

“While they try to convince us they’re protecting the unborn, the need to dominate women is at the core of their crusade.”

The only way Ms. Slemmer can hope to make an argument is by using this baseless attack against her detractors. She cannot take them at their word. Ordinarily, intellectually feeble authors like this would at least attempt to employ a fallacy at this point, but she doesn’t even do that. All she manages to do is add more tired dogma and hyperbole and not a shred of evidence to support her claim.

Epic fail.

George Lippencott 1 year, 10 months ago

Here we go again. This is the third letter making the same basic charge. The first one at least had the courage to tie the charge to the church refusal to fund certain new medial reproductive service requirements. One more time

1 Nobody is making war on women (except the fundamentalists all over) 2 People have a constitutional right to their religious beliefs and the requirement in question is new - not of long standing 3. The vast majority of medical providers and insurance companies support the currently understood scope of reproductive services for women 4. It is inconceivable that the few providers that may bow to their conscience as a result of new law (some already do not provide full service) will lead to anybody experiencing more than minor inconvenience in obtaining necessary services (not new freebees).

The real issue is a bankrupt group of isolated liberals trying to create a wedge issue by shrilly and repeatedly proclaiming a non-existent problem and blaming it on their political opponents – most of whom actually support our current system

jhawkinsf 1 year, 10 months ago

Abortion is to a woman's health what eating at McDonald's is to eating a healthy diet. Every now and then, a person does indeed go to McDonald's and eat a salad and a glass of water. But far more times, it's a greasy burger and over salted fries. And yes, every adult who enters McDonald's has the right to make their own choice. Just don't look me in the eye and with a straight face say that that burger and fries is healthy. Then you're just pissing on my leg and telling me it's raining.

Cait McKnelly 1 year, 10 months ago

It all comes down to one simple truth; Woman did not come from Man's rib, Man came from Woman's vagina. It's sad that he's never forgiven her for that.

Armstrong 1 year, 10 months ago

Always willing to put your words in somebody elses mouth, liberalism at it's "best" ?. Thanks for the thrilling view of how you see others with opposing views.

Agnostick 1 year, 10 months ago

All stereotypes have a tiny grain of truth at their center. Nobody invented the idea that, for example, black people love fried chicken and watermelon. Most likely, someone actually observed a black person, or a black family, eating fried chicken and watermelon.

The problem begins with the generalization that because one person, or a few people are exhibiting a behavior, then all the people sharing a certain trait--skin color, faith, country of origin--engage in the same behavior.

While I agree that misandry is just as bad as misogyny, consider the number of states this year that have taken up some form of legislation, with the intent to limit or eliminate access to abortion, preventative birth control, and other health care options.

It's not a conclusion without merit.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 10 months ago

The God I believe in is not a sky god, but the Creator of the Multiverses and thus does not reside in one place but is everywhere. The baby is an individual separate from the mother and should be treated with love and respect from conception. It is not the womans body. I really don't think there is a war on women, it is that core beliefs have been challenged by both sides of this and both sides are responding in emotion mind. It is my belief that this ranting about old white guys should stop. It is stereotyping, sexist and racist. I can assure you there are old white guys who have truly loved a woman and treated her with respect and dignity. They also love their children.
For every controlling man there is a bossy woman, and I mean in numbers not litterally.

mycatsrightorwrong 1 year, 10 months ago

As a 20-something male, who won't be governed by archaic beliefs, I have to say this is a biased, crappy article. I didn't argue once (or care) when my wife wanted to keep her last name, I think gays should be able to marry, and I'm not religious. But I still don't like killing unborn babies (& if you don't know when they're "babies", the only humane thing to do is err on the side of caution), and I could give a damn less about dominating women. As I always say, sex, condoms, and pills for all!

verity 1 year, 10 months ago

More of if you can't argue with the facts, attack the messenger.

The ferocity of the attacks which are not supported by what the letter actually says is very telling.

"Wow, talk about a bitter man-hater. Feminism has become a terribly cynical world-view in which everything men do is interpreted as an effort to control women." Not at all what the letter said and your generalization of feminism is as wrong as most generalizations are.

You can call us any names you want---it only causes us to be more determined. My generation may never see true equality, as far as the law goes, but we will continue to fight for the generations to come. And we will put those who won't treat with as equals out of our lives as much as possible.

SnakeFist 1 year, 10 months ago

"While they try to convince us they’re protecting the unborn, the need to dominate women is at the core of their crusade."

Wow, talk about a bitter man-hater. Feminism has become a terribly cynical world-view in which everything men do is interpreted as an effort to control women. This reflects the intellectual laziness of pseudodisciplines like sociology and women's studies that blame all problems on the holy trinity of racism, classism, and sexism.

While I am pro-choice and support reproductive rights (for both men and women - it takes two to reproduce, after all), I can at least recognize that many pro-lifers honestly believe abortion is wrong. You can disagree with someone without vilifying them.

tolawdjk 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm looking and all I am seeing is attacks against the person: "she's been treated like a woman", "man hater", "abortion". blah blah blah.

Not once have I seen an arguement against her message.

Must be what passes for "intellectual zingers" from the knuckle dragging crowd populating this board.

Dan Eyler 1 year, 10 months ago

Clearly Ann has issues with men in general. Never had one or never had one that treated her like a woman. But on the other hand Ann and others who have posted here have never treated men as men. All these poor controlled women. Sad isn't it?

BornAgainAmerican 1 year, 10 months ago

Someone better tell my wife about this "War on Women". Anna Slemmer projects as if she speaks for all women. Fact of the matter is that I haven't heard a peep from my wife about this. Of course, I'm not sure any man alive today would have the chutspa to control her. I wonder who the old white guys are that are so threatening to Ms. Slemmer? Maybe I can learn something from them.

Mike Ford 1 year, 10 months ago

archaic trolls take the actions of their elected yet biased and incompetent line bluring churchlican stools I mean politicians and act as if they're legitimate and totally ignore the obvious legislative war on women that is being waged because churchlicans have to please their base while the rest of the constituency waits for real problems to be dealt with. by the way where will the churchlicans send their beloved genuis terry lois gregory to carpetbag this time????

grammaddy 1 year, 10 months ago

Another reason I gave up on the Bible. Find a woman in there that isn't evil.That book was about control from the beginning.

hujiko 1 year, 10 months ago

"This younger generation of males will not be governed by such archaic beliefs. They want equal partners, not subservient robots."

This is true. The anti-woman crusaders are for the most part old grumpy men that won't be governing for much longer. They can believe in their heaven and talking snakes all they want.

Time's ticking, boys.

Gotland 1 year, 10 months ago

Isn't the idea of killing the most vunerable without recource, the most "Archaic belief" Tribes women used to through twins into the woods. They died of exposer? Is that women's right too?

Gotland 1 year, 10 months ago

Sugesting women can only control their reproduction with abortion treats them like children.

FalseHopeNoChange 1 year, 10 months ago

"will oppose women’s decisions on reproductive rights."

And Of course, those righteous "women's decisions on reproductive rights " only 'start' AFTER their carnal knowledge. Before carnal knowledge "reproductive rights" are not a problem.

Margaret Sanger would be "proud" of Liberal women today.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 10 months ago

I thought the "War on Women" talking point had already dropped out of the heavy rotation list.

cato_the_elder 1 year, 10 months ago

"In the 2012 election, get out and vote for those candidates representing your best interests."

I fully intend to. And you can bet your bippy that it won't be for any of the far-left moonbats that this letter writer is in love with.

Dan Eyler 1 year, 10 months ago

I’m sitting here in the easy chair this morning drinking my coffee and reading the LJ World and the letter from Ann. The only thing that comes to my head is thinking how sad it is that the person writing this letter is so darn unhappy. Her world is out of control, a man hater trying to find somewhere to fit it, searching for a fight. The only thing I hope and pray for is that all young men of this generation will avoid a relationship with someone like the writer of these comments, someone who seems so angry and depressed. If there is one thing God teaches men, it is to stay clear of vengeful women.