Letters to the Editor

Noise pollution

June 19, 2012

To the editor:

Every day as I travel around this great city, I am accosted by the sounds coming from beat-up or souped-up vehicles. These boom basses stimulate the ire of everyone aboard the bus I drive and causes them all to respond in a very negative way. The worst part is that as cool as the teen (or an adult acting like a teen) thinks he is, he is destroying his hearing, a sense that needs to be protected not made to suffer.

Of course I am talking about our ears that need the quiet of the streets. The boom basses shake the windows in the bus and therefore shake the very body of each and every person there.

Isn’t there a law against the disturbing of the peace or a noise pollution ordinance? What right does a person have to destroy the sounds in my car, bus, truck or whatever for the sounds of their horrible “music”? Don’t I have rights too? Can’t I enjoy what I am listening to without being interrupted by these loud, annoying and disruptive missiles of sound? If there isn’t, there ought to be a law!!

Comments

Benjamin Roberts 2 years, 6 months ago

17-116.1 LOUD SOUND AMPLIFICATION (http://police.lawrenceks.org/content/noise-problems)

The City of Lawrence recognizes that loud vehicle stereo equipment has become a noise problem. Ordinance 17-116.1 was adopted on July 1, 1999, in order to deal with this problem. A violation of this ordinance can result in a traffic ticket with a minimum fine of $80. The ordinance states:

No person or persons operating or occupying a motor vehicle on any street, highway, alley, parking lot or driveway shall operate or permit the operation of any sound amplification system from within or upon the vehicle so that the sound is audible at a distance of fifty (50) feet or more from the vehicle. Nothing in this ordinance shall require the witnessing law enforcement officer to physically measure the distance from the officer to the allegedly offending vehicle operator and vehicle prior to the issuance of the citation.

Loud sound amplification devices used for public safety, emergency situation and authorized public events are exempt from this ordinance. (Ord. 7056, http://www.lawrenceks.org/documents/Ordinances/Ordinances-7000s/Ord7056.pdf)

JackMcKee 2 years, 6 months ago

I think this was supposed to be a Sound Off question. It's slightly more intelligent but not by much. Pro tip: next time don't put your name on it, unless it's a pseudonym. In that case, congrats on a fantastic trolling job.

Carol Bowen 2 years, 6 months ago

Jack, your comment is demeaning and discourages open dialog. There is no need for personal insults.

JackMcKee 2 years, 6 months ago

In any case, thanks for the old man rant. Now, get off my lawn!

Liberty275 2 years, 6 months ago

Mr Omar, it isn't too loud, you are just too old.

madameX 2 years, 6 months ago

Devil's advocate question (devil's advocate because as I"m sure I've already posted before, IMO all-privately-owned-roads is a recipe for all kinds of bad):

Suppose all roads were privately owned. The LW encounters the same kind loud obnoxiousness, tells the owner of the roads, but the owner replies that he or she doesn't care because, say, the loud, obnoxious drivers generate more income for the owner than the LW does. What then? In theory the solution is to take his business elsewhere, but It's not like he can choose a different way to get around town. Does he just have to live with it? And if so, how is being at the mercy of a business owner's decisions any better than relying on the government?

JackMcKee 2 years, 6 months ago

"boom basses"? Only a dirty rat talks like that.

beatrice 2 years, 6 months ago

And why can't they do something about getting these dang kids off my lawn?

geoismeo 2 years, 6 months ago

The letter writer forgot to mention motorcycles. You Harley riders are making all motorcyclists look bad by your disregard for everyone else. At night I can hear these slow moving vehicles a mile away. You are not cool.

BlackVelvet 2 years, 6 months ago

Get rid of the loud, noisy, obnoxious busses! They are disturbing.

Carol Bowen 2 years, 6 months ago

Whoa, folks. This ordinance also includes late night party noise next door to you. A person has rights until they infringe on another person's rights. In this case, the right to peace and quiet.

Carol Bowen 2 years, 6 months ago

Let's not discourage folks from contributing. And, did it occur to you that David has to stick to a schedule and that requires some downtime?

Abdu Omar 2 years, 6 months ago

Well, you all laugh at this article, as I did when I first read it, but on Yahoo, today, there is an article claiming that traffic noise is a contributer to heart attacks. Read the article yourself:

If this truly is the case, Mr. Omar is 100% correct. The noise felt in his bus must have been substantial for him to write his article and what if one of the people on the bus were in a bad situation and was heart attack prone? The noise is a factor and young people (teens as he says) should be aware of the risk they face in creating a problem with their stereos in the car.

Liberty275 2 years, 6 months ago

"The worst part is that as cool as the teen (or an adult acting like a teen) thinks he is, he is destroying his hearing, a sense that needs to be protected not made to suffer."

Just exactly what gives you the right to tell a person which of his senses need to be protected? My mother is dead and I don't need another.