Letters to the Editor

Abortion view

June 12, 2012

To the editor:

In her guest commentary printed in Saturday’s paper, Jill Cannon wrote, “I want to state that no one likes abortion.” When Leonard Pitts Jr., made a similar statement in one of his syndicated columns printed in the Journal-World, I decided to see if that was true. If you will enter the phrase “I like abortion” or even “I love abortion” into an Internet search engine, you will find that there are plenty of people who claim to like, even love, abortion; you can even purchase a T-shirt or bumper sticker proclaiming said sentiment.

Comments

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 3 months ago

I suppose that in a way, that's an interesting subject, so I checked it out. Google supports phrase search, so I checked "I love abortion": There were about 56,300 results.

I checked the phrase "I love killing people": There were about 211,000 results

I checked the phrase "I love murder": There were about 263,000 results.

I checked the phrase "I love suicide": There were about 6,020,000 results.

So yes, apparently it is true that there are some people that love abortion. But many more love killing people. But even more than that love murdering people. BUT the most of all, people love suicide.

Over six million love suicide, and only 56,300 love abortion. Wow.

Apparently that means that for every person that loves abortion, almost 107 love suicide.

And yes Kory Willis, you can buy "I love suicide" T shirts and bumper stickers. Are you going to buy one, since they're so popular?

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 3 months ago

There's a potential problem with suicide, because you can't know for sure that there is no such thing as reincarnation here on Earth.

You might be conceived into a zygote that gets aborted.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 3 months ago

And if that happens then you will get conceived again into one that isn't. Funny how that works, huh?

Tex 2 years, 3 months ago

Ron, Ms. Cannon made a misstatement; that was the point of my letter. The result of your internet phrase searches shows that, if Ms. Cannon had said, "I want to state that nobody likes murder," she would have been incorrect. I do not love suicide, so, no, I will not be purchasing a t-shirt bearing that message.

jaywalker 2 years, 3 months ago

Took a tack along same lines as Ron, Kory. "Trayvon Martin got what he deserved" has plenty of representatives - 38 million links; and there was just another world wide sweep of an internet pedophile "club".
I imagine it's not difficult to find support for even the most heinous subject somewhere on the Net.

repaste 2 years, 3 months ago

"A MAN WITH A CONVICTION is a hard man to change. Tell him you disagree and he turns away. Show him facts or figures and he questions your sources. Appeal to logic and he fails to see your point." So wrote the celebrated Stanford University psychologist Leon Festinger (PDF), in a passage that might have been referring to climate change denial—the persistent rejection, on the part of so many Americans today, of what we know about global warming and its human causes. But it was too early for that—this was the 1950s—and Festinger was actually describing a famous case study in psychology.

Festinger and several of his colleagues had infiltrated the Seekers, a small Chicago-area cult whose members thought they were communicating with aliens—including one, "Sananda," who they believed was the astral incarnation of Jesus Christ. - Chris Mooney

jonas_opines 2 years, 3 months ago

33,600,000 hits for the search Hitler is Awesome. Google even autofilled it as soon as I started to type the "a"

I recall one of the older posters here once tried to use this tactic regarding how much worse child-molestation was with teachers than with clergy members, arguing that since there were 10 times as many links for "teachers" and "molestation" as "clergy" and "molestation" or something like that. Breaking it down to click-per-capita, though, clergy still came out a little bit on top, due to the lower population numbers.

But all of that paled to when I entered in that posters username and "molestation". Turns out there were 15,000 links for that. Since he was the only one with that username, I figured that meant that he was in a Very high risk group. Or that it was all just meaningless, and let him pick between the two.

Don't think he responded.

jonas_opines 2 years, 3 months ago

What does it do with all of your bizarre quote marks?

Fred Mertz 2 years, 3 months ago

I guess I am missing the point of the posters above. So what if you can find links to other heinous acts. Does that change the point that the LTE writer was making; it is false to state as an absolute that no one likes abortion?

jonas_opines 2 years, 3 months ago

All absolute statements are false, including this one.

chootspa 2 years, 3 months ago

Did you make sure the "sarcasm" filter was on when you tried this search? I believe it's somewhere in the advanced search settings.

Did you also try searching for, "Am I actually making a point, or am I being deliberately too literal in order to avoid conceding that even people who support the choice of legal abortions don't rejoice in having them?" Because that's a search that might have found you a more useful answer to your query.

woodscolt 2 years, 3 months ago

Ljw must be petty hard up for Lte's.

beatrice 2 years, 3 months ago

"Google logic" should be a new Godwin type phrase.

I have no doubt someone might actually want to sell an "I heart Mitt Romney" bumper sticker, but this wouldn't mean anyone outside of his family actually loves Mitt Romney. Google logic is no logic at all.

Alyosha 2 years, 3 months ago

The letter writer apparently has no insight into the rhetorical trope of sarcasm.

When it's common for people to make claim that Planned Parenthood actively encourages women to get abortions specifically so they (PP) can make money, and a so-called "abortion industry" exists again simply to make money, it shouldn't be surprising to people like the writer of the letter above that other people attempt to make fun of such a ludicrous belief by sarcastically co-opting the idea that someone would "love" or "like" abortion. Such t-shirts and bumper stickers are intended to mock and make fun of the idea that anyone would like or love such a thing. They're saying "you're completely missing the boat, folks."

Kind of like when Sarah Silverman says "“I was going to get an abortion the other day. I totally wanted an abortion. And it turns out I was just thirsty” or "Got a quickie aborsh in case R v W gets overturned."

Mocking one-dimensional thinking in other words.

jafs 2 years, 3 months ago

Did you read the article you linked to?

If so, you'll find that she also prefers to reduce the need for abortion with birth control - her argument for abortion is that failures occur, women get raped, and there are health issues as well for pregnant women.

Tex 2 years, 3 months ago

Yes, I did read it. The author states, unequivocally, that she likes abortion. Several other people used the comments box to agree with her. The point of the letter above is that it is objectively false to say that nobody likes abortion.

jafs 2 years, 3 months ago

Read it again, if you want to understand her point.

She's using exaggeration to make a point - that abortion is better than having unwanted children (that you tried to prevent), bearing the child of a rapist, or dying while giving birth.

She's not saying that everybody should go out there, have unprotected sex, and then have abortions left and right.

Ragingbear 2 years, 3 months ago

I saw it on the Internet, so it must be true.

beatrice 2 years, 3 months ago

This letter appears on a google search for "I love abortions." I guess this means that the letter writer must then love abortions, right?

Liberty275 2 years, 3 months ago

"it's none of my business what you do with your body"

About 8,190 results (0.22 seconds)

Linda Endicott 2 years, 3 months ago

I did a search for "False Hope No Change Loves Abortion"...and it came up with 2, 510,000 htis...

Which means absolutely nothing, as I couldn't really find an article listed that was about either one...it's just the nature of the beast, and the weird way that search engines work and how key words work...it means NOTHING...

But you know how the internet is...no matter what your view is, about anything, eventually you'll find sites online that support that view, if you look long enough...doesn't make them truthful, but you'll find them...

Liberty275 2 years, 3 months ago

You've seen Merril's copypasta posts too, huh?