Archive for Friday, July 20, 2012

DMV staffing

July 20, 2012

To the editor:

Jeannine Koranda, Kansas Department of Revenue spokeswoman, was talking about the long wait times at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offices (Journal-World, July 15). “And there’s been no reduction in staff at the local office,” she said.

I was at the Lawrence office on North Third Street a week ago. I got there at 1 p.m., and the line — about 50 people — snaked around the room. There were two staff behind the counter and two empty chairs. I asked the woman at the front of the line how long she had been waiting. She said two and a half hours.

I waited. Later, a third staff member came in and began taking customers. Occasionally, one of the staff would be answering a phone, sometimes with long conversations about DMV regulations. Once, one of the staff left the office for about 30 minutes with someone who was taking a driving test. The line never got any shorter because more people were coming in as others left.

Around 2:30, a fourth staff member arrived to fill the fourth chair behind the counter. Then the line really began to move! Perhaps those who arrived now would be out in one hour. As for me, I was out in two hours. And there were still about 50 people in line.

I wanted to ask these guys, “Where have you been? Who is in charge at the Lawrence office? Why isn’t it fully staffed?” Maybe Ms. Koranda could have asked them, but she wasn’t there.

Comments

woodscolt 3 years, 1 month ago

New computers and software, understaffing is all part of strategy to make it difficult to obtain ID's. Expect it to continue through november.

Getaroom 3 years, 1 month ago

That's just how life is here in Brownbackistan. Don't worry, it will get worse. Just making it more efficient(new computers and software) for people to get voter IDs in time for voter the suppressed upcoming elections. Kobach just couldn't wait to get his hands on BIG GOVERNMENT so he could have it his way.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 1 month ago

"That's just how life here in Brownbackistan." - Of course, we could go to many places where progressives rule, go to their DMV and see similar or worse government bureaucracies. The common denominator isn't the politics of the head of state, it's the bureaucracy itself.

appleaday 3 years, 1 month ago

The Affordable Care Act has nothing to do with delivering health care. Those of us who work in health care will still be employed by private hospitals. The ACA is about regulating insurance companies so that they can't cut you off when you get sick or call any old thing a pre-existing condition so you can't get coverage and about helping the uninsured to get insurance.

Clara Westphal 3 years, 1 month ago

I waited at the Lawrence office to get a photo id and the line moved one space while I was there. The line was a double circle and out the door. There were two clerks processing and one taking new drivers out for a test drive.

I could see I wasn't going to make it the counter in my lifetime so I went to Tongie. Waited about 15 minutes and was done.

You can get a license/id in any county in Kansas.

Terry Sexton 3 years, 1 month ago

Thank you, that is an excellent alternative.

kernal 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't care what excuses anyone has for the long wait these days. The last time I got my license renewed it only took me 15 minutes from the time I walked in the door, had my picture taken and got my new license. This time I had to go back because I didn't have 2+ hours to wait in line and the second time I was there half an hour before opening and it still took an hour once they opened.

Absolutely ridiculous! You'd think we were in California.