Archive for Thursday, July 19, 2012

Chronic wasting disease confirmed in 7 Kansas deer

July 19, 2012

— The Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism says chronic wasting disease has been confirmed in seven deer in the state.

The agency also said there are two other presumptive positive samples that require more testing. The number is down slightly from the 10 found with the disease last year.

Since testing began in 1996, Kansas has had 49 confirmed cases of deer with chronic wasting disease. The disease was first detected in Cheyenne County in 1955.

The fatal disease causes holes in the brain, giving it a sponge-like appearance. The agency says there's no evidence that the disease in deer poses a risk to people or livestock.

Comments

Paul Wilson 2 years, 5 months ago

In humans the condition is commonly known as LiberalisDemocratice.

jrpigman 2 years, 5 months ago

Actually, it's called spongiform encephalopathy, and when it appears in cattle, it's called "Mad Cow Disease." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_...

I'll be skipping the venison this year.

Jayhawk1958 2 years, 5 months ago

Far-Right Nazi Republicans aren't human.

Topple 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't know any Republicans that are Nazis...

Paul Wilson 2 years, 5 months ago

Wow!!! Hate much? C'mon man...lighten up. You gotta admit that was a little funny? Calling Republicans Nazis just shows how ignorant you really are. If you are extreme right or extreme left....you're a nutjob. Thanks for clarifying which one you are.

Firefighter10 2 years, 5 months ago

I know the article says the disease doesn't pose a risk to humans but I wonder if that's no risk while just sharing an environment, or also no risk if you hunt them and consume them?

LawrenceTownie 2 years, 5 months ago

I have not eaten deer for about 25 years, ever since I found out they carry this disease. I live on a farm with several cattle, and deer are around all the time. We used to have several barn cats who always stayed in the 3 barns and several outbuildings we have. At times they could be seen hunting along the creeks, or just out for a stroll in the timber, but the barns are where they were fed cat food we purchased in bulk. We had two cats who started losing weight, even though they were fed as much cat food as they wanted. When I took them both to the vet, I assumed they had worms, and just needed a few pills to get rid of them. But I was told they both had wasting disease, and nothing could be done. I was worried about them passing it to the other cats, and the vet told me not to worry. No other cats got it, and those two lived along time, but never recovered and I finally had to have them put to sleep. One of the hardest things I ever had to do. I think my cats drank water from the creek that the deer urinated in, don't know for sure. I do not think deer meat is safe to eat.

Joe Hyde 2 years, 5 months ago

I read somewhere that chronic wasting disease in deer is associated with small, isolated watering holes where the animals come into frequent contact with one another while getting a drink. Perhaps the mechanism of deer-to-deer transmission involves ingestion of water contaminated earlier by an afflicted deer, or it's from physical contact with a sick deer, or by close quarters airborne transmission.

Deer congregating at isolated watering holes may not be the key factor in last year's deaths. But if it is, we'll probably see higher mortality figures from this disease statewide due to the drought. Maybe not so so many in our area quite yet; probably most deaths will occur in the much drier central and western regions of Kansas.

I'm not a deer hunter, but people who are might want to educate themselves on this subject. Wildlife & Parks no doubt has much information useful to hunters, that gives hunters a way to participate in tracking the movement of this horrific disease.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

Good points Joe. It has been reported in the past that as deer population increase the possibility of CWD "epidemics" would occur. Couple this with drought conditions, reducing ponds and streams to mere mud holes, the conditions are now ripe for this to happen. After several years of being unable to hunt my favorite field, I may pass again this year to see how this unfolds.

gr 2 years, 5 months ago

CJD. Mad Cow. Mad Deer.

They say you can't get it, that it's safe and not to worry. But... not to eat the brain, spinal, and nerve areas. And to quarantine your cow herd.

But it's safe.

A prion you cannot destroy....? Is it worth the risk?