Archive for Thursday, July 19, 2012

Another home burglary reported early Thursday in Lawrence; police again warn residents to lock doors, windows

July 19, 2012

One day after Lawrence police said that trying to solve “several dozen” aggravated burglary reports in the past three months was a priority, a suspect apparently struck again early Thursday morning in northwest Lawrence.

Residents awoke about 4:45 a.m. Thursday in the 400 block of Vine Drive to see an individual with a flashlight in their bedroom. Vine Drive is northeast of Sixth Street and Folks Road.

“The occupant yelled at the suspect, and the suspect fled the house,” said Sgt. Trent McKinley, a police spokesman.

The suspect took a purse and its contents, and McKinley said police believe a car in an attached garage was burglarized.

“It is believed the suspect made entry to the home through an unlocked garage door,” McKinley said.

At least two similar incidents were reported in the past two weeks.

Police have warned people to routinely check to make sure all doors, including sliding glass doors, and windows are locked before they go to bed. Garage doors also should be closed at night, McKinley said.

Comments

Richard Heckler 1 year, 9 months ago

Another police station will not stop this activity....

Police cannot stop this activity.... but maybe if victims could call in quietly the LPD might be able to nab the victim.

Perhaps the LPD could set up a code that a crime is being committed NOW while at the same time matching the phone number to an address? 4119 maybe... all in an effort to eliminate the need for voices.

Keep cell phones nearby the bed etc etc etc

The more Lawrence grows the more crime will grow. Lawrence is known as an affluent neighborhood.

alcoholbliss 1 year, 9 months ago

"Locks keep out only the honest." Proverb, Jewish

400 block of Vine Drive, http://goo.gl/maps/xT6D http://goo.gl/maps/hijD An old west /east Lawrence poser development. At least the burglar knows where the good stuff might be.

Lawrenceks 1 year, 9 months ago

It cracks me up when people get broken into because they leave their doors unlocked then want to blame the police. How about using a little common sense???? Lock your doors then you won't have to call the police because the your stuff won't get stolen. The police are busy enough without having to clean up after your laziness!! The police can only do so much!

onthebreeze 1 year, 9 months ago

I fear this person who keeps wandering into bedrooms is working up to a more serious crime. Maybe he is looking for a woman home alone....

flyin_squirrel 1 year, 9 months ago

LPD's focus is on busting young coed's at ku drinking. They avoid the high school parties because those involve parents who will complain, and just go after the ku students.

It would be nice to see a police officer even drive thru my neighborhood once a month.

mikekt 1 year, 9 months ago

Hey. People who don't..... "lock it"...... are just "job security" for the police, the court system, the jail, lawyers, claims adjusters and of course, .......the tax mans "best friend".

kusp8 1 year, 9 months ago

Lulz to the hide yo kid reference.

Starlight 1 year, 9 months ago

My wife is a teacher but she rarely deals with reckless drunken drugged raping killing dead dying ill thieving victimized people. LEOs deal with people at their worst and in the worst situations. I truly do not understand anyone being so blind to this fact. To the perp: 12 gauge will make a good sized hole in your belly, or the nylon 66 22cal holds about 16 shots. Which do you prefer to experience?

caton1982 1 year, 9 months ago

They spend more time giving people seat belt tickets then doing there job, I was robbed as well in East Lawrence and could pin point a 12 hour period when it happened. I need a police report for insurance and they tell me I need to pay to get one. So bottom line is I need to pay you for being robbed and you not doing your job. Then he left somethings out of the report that I told him was stolen! Just as bad as the Topeka police!

Lathrup 1 year, 9 months ago

In bad economic times I expect an increase in this type of crime. That's why I only use Browning (TM) Quad 50cal Ak Ak gear for my hunting and home defense needs. Try one out today! You'll be glad. you. did!

reality_check79 1 year, 9 months ago

Wow!!! The ones complaining about the cops are the ones who are against a tax for more officers lol... Hypocrites can't have it both ways... You refuse to pay more taxes yet want improvements done to streets and other public services... Who should have to pay for the upgrades???

Lateralis 1 year, 9 months ago

I sure hope these criminals don’t try this on my property. I’ll give them a stand your ground and a God’s will response.

tbaker 1 year, 9 months ago

When seconds count, police are only minutes away, hence the riot shotgun with #4 buckshot loaded in it next to my bed. This guy is lucky the home owner just yelled at him.

Rick Aldrich 1 year, 9 months ago

hope he has all his ducks in a row if he comes to visit me. won't be any yelling just bang!

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 9 months ago

tswizzle, I was thinking the same thing. I just can't see someone going from house to house trying door knobs and then tiptoeing in. I bet they didn't get that much as the people always seem to wake up and chase them away. They don't seem to make an effort to be quiet, but clump around loudly and move things like they want to make sure the homeowner/renter knows they are there. I have not read any sort of description of the robber I took my daughters bicycle down to the police station and they marked it with a number using some sort of laser so it could easily be traced if it was stolen. It was also registered for a small fee. Can you do that with pricey electronics to track them down in case someone tries to sell one to a pawn shop?

tswizzle 1 year, 9 months ago

I wonder if the perp knows his victims before he goes in. Maybe he knows that they do not have guns, or that the victim lives alone...

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 9 months ago

In the off chance the perp reads about this stuff here as a thrill, Let me just say this; Stop now while you are ahead. Nothing good will come of this. Jail or possibly death? Stop now .

who_said_it 1 year, 9 months ago

Hide ya kids...hide ya wife...and hide ya husband, cause they rapin everybody out here

youngjayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Common sense - lock your doors!

optimist 1 year, 9 months ago

This person will eventually pick the wrong home...problem solved.

KANORADO 1 year, 9 months ago

I WONDER WHAT COLOR THEY WERE ?

nate cleveland 1 year, 9 months ago

Media in this country is a joke. Its all about fear. Why is it that there is hardly ever any good news in the papers, news broadcasts, etc.. Thats because the news and the newspaper are all about FEAR! Its all about scaring the people reading or watching.

g_rock 1 year, 9 months ago

why no lock, folks? why? whyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Caz Snwot 1 year, 9 months ago

I moved here from baldwin recently... I have to say I'm amazed at how few people lock their doors, and even fewer people own guns. My Lawrence friends always called me a paranoid hick because I always locked my door and I own several guns for hunting... But locking the door just seems like a smart idea. the gun thing is a personal preference and I don't think I'd turn it on a person even if they were in my house, unless they had one on them. Which all the reports I've read indicate these suspects runaway after being discovered which makes me feel a little better.

50YearResident 1 year, 9 months ago

The perp is getting bolder. It's only a mater of time before he enters the wrong home and is met with some kind of incapacitating force. It won't be pretty when it happens either.

RoeDapple 1 year, 9 months ago

Funny thing about people who complain about teachers and cops. The whiners I know who complain about them couldn't do either job. And usually are the slackers where they are employed. The employable ones anyway.

Kyle Chandler 1 year, 9 months ago

Extremely difficult? I wonder what your thoughts are on teachers

Liberal 1 year, 9 months ago

March & toe....you are idiots....oh did I just break the terms? Probably.

The Lawrence Police Department is a group of very hard working individuals who have an extremely difficult job. You should be praising them for all they do.

toe 1 year, 9 months ago

This sudden increase in home invasions is conveniently timed to the "need" for a police station and more police. Interesting.

MarchSadness 1 year, 9 months ago

Good thing we have an honorable police department that will catch these criminals and keep us safe......oh wait, I forgot that I was refering to the Lawrence Police Department. Completely worthless!