Archive for Thursday, July 19, 2012

Another home burglary reported early Thursday in Lawrence; police again warn residents to lock doors, windows

July 19, 2012

One day after Lawrence police said that trying to solve “several dozen” aggravated burglary reports in the past three months was a priority, a suspect apparently struck again early Thursday morning in northwest Lawrence.

Residents awoke about 4:45 a.m. Thursday in the 400 block of Vine Drive to see an individual with a flashlight in their bedroom. Vine Drive is northeast of Sixth Street and Folks Road.

“The occupant yelled at the suspect, and the suspect fled the house,” said Sgt. Trent McKinley, a police spokesman.

The suspect took a purse and its contents, and McKinley said police believe a car in an attached garage was burglarized.

“It is believed the suspect made entry to the home through an unlocked garage door,” McKinley said.

At least two similar incidents were reported in the past two weeks.

Police have warned people to routinely check to make sure all doors, including sliding glass doors, and windows are locked before they go to bed. Garage doors also should be closed at night, McKinley said.

Comments

MarchSadness 2 years, 1 month ago

Good thing we have an honorable police department that will catch these criminals and keep us safe......oh wait, I forgot that I was refering to the Lawrence Police Department. Completely worthless!

kernal 2 years, 1 month ago

Sorry, sad sack, Lawrence police officers haven't been cloned yet and robo cops are only imaginary.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 1 month ago

CALL UP CSI, NCIS, footprint samples, tire treads, fingerprints, DNA samples!

What do you want the LPD to do, exactly? Perhaps we can station an officer in every household so they can catch these individuals, and to identify them as officers, we will give them red coats to wear! Maybe the national guard will patrol the streets and stop every individual they find suspicious. Better yet, cameras on every street light, we will be much safer that way.

I have no doubt the LPD is doing the best they can with the little information that comes from a home burglary, especially one of opportunity where the criminal seems to be just going from house to house to find an unlocked door. Do your part by locking your doors at night.

BlackVelvet 2 years, 1 month ago

And if they spent all their time chasing burglars, when a college kid gets drunk and DEAD, you'd be the first to complain the cops weren't doing anything to stop underage drinking.

Rich Noever 2 years, 1 month ago

BV, you are right! Some people are never happy. Sounds like Larry N has had run ins with the LPD before or he is just immature

DillonBarnes 2 years, 1 month ago

Are you implying that the LPD is allowing this criminal behavior to persist or that the LPD is actually robbing people of Lawrence?

deec 2 years, 1 month ago

It would be interesting to compare rates from the last few years with this year. Are there actually more burglaries, or are they just receiving more publicity?

triplegoddess13 2 years, 1 month ago

You are overlooking the poverty level and the fact that is has been declining rapidly. Burglaries and other crimes are more prevalent when people are desperate; such as now.

fu7il3 2 years, 1 month ago

That might be the stupidest idea I have ever read.

Kyle Chandler 2 years, 1 month ago

Extremely difficult? I wonder what your thoughts are on teachers

MarcoPogo 2 years, 1 month ago

Teachers should quit committing all these burglaries. And your thoughts?

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

Funny thing about people who complain about teachers and cops. The whiners I know who complain about them couldn't do either job. And usually are the slackers where they are employed. The employable ones anyway.

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

Never said they are my friends.

50YearResident 2 years, 1 month ago

The perp is getting bolder. It's only a mater of time before he enters the wrong home and is met with some kind of incapacitating force. It won't be pretty when it happens either.

mdlund0 2 years, 1 month ago

Agreed. That'll put an end to it though...

EJ Mulligan 2 years, 1 month ago

Good point. Wasn't there just an article in the LJW this week that there is a record number of concealed-carry permits issued so far this year?

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

There is no connection between concealed carry and home invasion.

EJ Mulligan 2 years, 1 month ago

My point is that a lot of people have guns. So this guy will run into one in a home sooner than later.

Charles L Bloss Jr 2 years, 1 month ago

Or he goes further and starts killing people inside. Aggravated burglary is a very serious crime. Eventually he will either get shot, or he will hurt someone. A good alarm system or dog would give residents warning that someone is burglarizing their home. Leaving the garage door open is incredibly stupid.

Caz Snwot 2 years, 1 month ago

I moved here from baldwin recently... I have to say I'm amazed at how few people lock their doors, and even fewer people own guns. My Lawrence friends always called me a paranoid hick because I always locked my door and I own several guns for hunting... But locking the door just seems like a smart idea. the gun thing is a personal preference and I don't think I'd turn it on a person even if they were in my house, unless they had one on them. Which all the reports I've read indicate these suspects runaway after being discovered which makes me feel a little better.

fu7il3 2 years, 1 month ago

Or...it could be that they are trying to tell people to lock their doors.

If you aren't scared of someone coming in your house while you are sleeping, there is something wrong with you.

Caz Snwot 2 years, 1 month ago

Yes, I suppose the news should just be a dispassionate list of all the events that have occurred the world over during the day. That would be good. Except of course, it would take forever!

optimist 2 years, 1 month ago

This person will eventually pick the wrong home...problem solved.

youngjayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Common sense - lock your doors!

who_said_it 2 years, 1 month ago

Hide ya kids...hide ya wife...and hide ya husband, cause they rapin everybody out here

Thomas Bryce 2 years, 1 month ago

In the off chance the perp reads about this stuff here as a thrill, Let me just say this; Stop now while you are ahead. Nothing good will come of this. Jail or possibly death? Stop now .

tswizzle 2 years, 1 month ago

I wonder if the perp knows his victims before he goes in. Maybe he knows that they do not have guns, or that the victim lives alone...

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 1 month ago

tswizzle, I was thinking the same thing. I just can't see someone going from house to house trying door knobs and then tiptoeing in. I bet they didn't get that much as the people always seem to wake up and chase them away. They don't seem to make an effort to be quiet, but clump around loudly and move things like they want to make sure the homeowner/renter knows they are there. I have not read any sort of description of the robber I took my daughters bicycle down to the police station and they marked it with a number using some sort of laser so it could easily be traced if it was stolen. It was also registered for a small fee. Can you do that with pricey electronics to track them down in case someone tries to sell one to a pawn shop?

Rick Aldrich 2 years, 1 month ago

hope he has all his ducks in a row if he comes to visit me. won't be any yelling just bang!

tbaker 2 years, 1 month ago

When seconds count, police are only minutes away, hence the riot shotgun with #4 buckshot loaded in it next to my bed. This guy is lucky the home owner just yelled at him.

Anthony Mall 2 years, 1 month ago

Wow!!! The ones complaining about the cops are the ones who are against a tax for more officers lol... Hypocrites can't have it both ways... You refuse to pay more taxes yet want improvements done to streets and other public services... Who should have to pay for the upgrades???

Lathrup 2 years, 1 month ago

In bad economic times I expect an increase in this type of crime. That's why I only use Browning (TM) Quad 50cal Ak Ak gear for my hunting and home defense needs. Try one out today! You'll be glad. you. did!

2 years, 1 month ago

They spend more time giving people seat belt tickets then doing there job, I was robbed as well in East Lawrence and could pin point a 12 hour period when it happened. I need a police report for insurance and they tell me I need to pay to get one. So bottom line is I need to pay you for being robbed and you not doing your job. Then he left somethings out of the report that I told him was stolen! Just as bad as the Topeka police!

DillonBarnes 2 years, 1 month ago

How is the 12 hour period suppose to help? They know exactly when these burglaries are happening, that doesn't make identifying the individuals much easier.

How much did you have to pay for the police report?

kusp8 2 years, 1 month ago

Lulz to the hide yo kid reference.

flyin_squirrel 2 years, 1 month ago

LPD's focus is on busting young coed's at ku drinking. They avoid the high school parties because those involve parents who will complain, and just go after the ku students.

It would be nice to see a police officer even drive thru my neighborhood once a month.

onthebreeze 2 years, 1 month ago

I fear this person who keeps wandering into bedrooms is working up to a more serious crime. Maybe he is looking for a woman home alone....

Lawrenceks 2 years, 1 month ago

It cracks me up when people get broken into because they leave their doors unlocked then want to blame the police. How about using a little common sense???? Lock your doors then you won't have to call the police because the your stuff won't get stolen. The police are busy enough without having to clean up after your laziness!! The police can only do so much!

Richard Heckler 2 years, 1 month ago

Another police station will not stop this activity....

Police cannot stop this activity.... but maybe if victims could call in quietly the LPD might be able to nab the victim.

Perhaps the LPD could set up a code that a crime is being committed NOW while at the same time matching the phone number to an address? 4119 maybe... all in an effort to eliminate the need for voices.

Keep cell phones nearby the bed etc etc etc

The more Lawrence grows the more crime will grow. Lawrence is known as an affluent neighborhood.