Archive for Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Lawrence burglary reports pile up

Another resident wakes up to burglar in home

July 18, 2012

After another recent burglary in which a sleeping Lawrence resident woke up to find an intruder in her home, police said Wednesday that several dozen aggravated burglaries have been reported in the last three months.

Sgt. Trent McKinley, a police spokesman, called it an “uptick” for a crime that’s not common in Lawrence.

“It is a priority right now. We have detectives that are assigned to the cases as well as working a coordinated effort with both evening and midnight shift patrols,” he said. “We are basically giving them the best information that we can about what’s gone on and what data we’ve collected. So hopefully we can catch another one of these individuals in the process of committing a crime.”

Police arrested a 32-year-old Lawrence man, William D. Washington III, on June 9 after they allegedly caught him trying to enter someone’s home as they investigated a burglary reported minutes earlier nearby, in the 3400 block of Augusta Drive. Washington has not been charged with any other aggravated burglaries.

Prosecutors said this week Washington is in custody in another jurisdiction.

However, with him in custody, those types of burglaries in Lawrence have not stopped.

About 5 a.m. Sunday, a woman reported she awoke to hearing footsteps in her house in the 3900 block of West 10th Place near Monterey Way and encountered a man with a flashlight inside. He ran away but not before taking $1,900 in cash and electronics.

Also on July 11, a 74-year-old woman awoke early in the morning to see a man holding a light standing in her bedroom in the 1300 block of Raintree Place, east of University Drive and Iowa Street.

Police began warning residents in June to make sure doors and windows were locked at night after several similar aggravated burglaries occurred in southwestern Lawrence.

“In talking to detectives, it’s probably fair to say that we have enough differences in some of the crimes to believe that there is more than one person involved,” McKinley said.

It has become difficult to get an accurate suspect description, he said, mostly because it’s dark, and sometimes residents don’t even wake up when the person’s inside. They later notice something missing from their home or garage. McKinley said not all of the “several dozen” recent aggravated burglaries fall into the category of someone waking up to find a stranger in their home, but police have noticed a spike in those reports.

Police are asking residents to keep an eye out for suspicious people in their neighborhoods late at night or early in the morning.

“We want to encourage people to go ahead and call it in and give us the opportunity to investigate it,” McKinley said.

Officers are also advising people to routinely check to make sure all doors and windows are locked before they go to bed — especially sliding glass doors.

Garage doors also should be closed, and officers do advise people to leave on exterior lights, including porch lights, throughout the night, McKinley said.

Comments

Richard Heckler 2 years ago

When a city grows so does criminal activity. Lawrence is known as the most expensive city in Kansas so will likely attract more robbers and other criminal types.

Can Lawrence taxpayers afford more crime? How does new growth pay for itself in Lawrence considering the cost of local law enforcement budgets...... ever expanding.

Yes I remember the good ole days when one could leave cars unlocked and home unlocked in Lawrence,Kansas.

kernal 2 years ago

We may be the most expensive city to live in, which I'm not sure is correct, but last I knew Johnson County is the richest county in KS.

LeBo 2 years ago

And you thought the police could keep you safe. The biggest lie in government. One officer per 1000 taxpaying residents, eating donut, burritos, or hamburgers can maintain your life and property. Impossible. Just a way for lowly educated bullies to wear an uniform and parade around as honorable persons that never served their county and/or community.

p.s. 'Collecting data.' This is not a research project at KU. Someone will have to die before you care!

irvan moore 2 years ago

it's the darn retirees we are attracting, everybody knows the elderly are easy prey

Leslie Swearingen 2 years ago

Easy prey? I think not. You try this elderly grandma, Sunny Jim, and she will put you right back on your young butt. Honestly!

irvan moore 2 years ago

i was being sarcastic, grandpa here is 65 years young. i'm with you grandma

RoeDapple 2 years ago

With a handle of "beatnik" I had a feeling you were a part of the fold . . .

Tara Painter 2 years ago

NO its not we were robbbed too, July 16 and maked a report and we bust or A** off. They stole all our yard equipment.

Flap Doodle 2 years ago

Relax and have a popsicle, Le. It's a cool and fruity treat on a summer morning.

geekin_topekan 2 years ago

Wha? This story has been up since midnight and not a single dbag thumping his chest and talking about his artificial penis, er, gun will greet this guy?

geekin_topekan 2 years ago

Booya, roe got me good with this one!

Yessiry. Whatever happened to "takes one to know one" or "I know you are but what am I"?

50YearResident 2 years ago

and this one: "Jealouscy will get you no where".

MarcoPogo 2 years ago

I don't think you're using the word you meant to use.

lawrencekansas 2 years ago

The drug/meth epidemic in Lawrence is fueling the crime.

Adrienne Sanders 2 years ago

Would really like to know, in how many of these cases did the burglar actually break in, and in how many did he/she just walk in through an unlocked door?

Jstanobservation 2 years ago

I don't believe it makes a difference legally.

Topple 2 years ago

Well, it would be somewhat valuable to know if they are just targeting people with open windows or unlocked doors versus willing to kick in your door, or break a window to get into your home.

The former is easy to remedy, the latter...

rtwngr 2 years ago

I'll see your flashlight and raise you a powder flash from my 9mm.

Jayhawk1958 2 years ago

Not surprised given the state of this economy people have to resort to drastic measures to survive.

Topple 2 years ago

They're just Liberals in raw form...redistribute the wealth you old retired money hoarders!

Jeremiah Jefferson 2 years ago

anyone know where a guy can get some good ammo in lawrence?

RoeDapple 2 years ago

RoeDy's House of Paranoia rolls his own . . .

Crazy_Larry 2 years ago

Go to Wally-world and buy their cheap 12 ga. target ammo and make a few dozen waxers out of them.

Crazy_Larry 2 years ago

I hope you don't think I'm runnin'. I know you don't think I'm scared. You must of forgot who the hell I am. The man with the braids - BEWARE!! That's yo' *** mister post man. Sucka stompin' and swingin' with both hands!!

oldbaldguy 2 years ago

No after Rusty's left. You got Walmart and pawn shops. Federal 38 Special + 95 grain hollow point is a good load.

Matthew Herbert 2 years ago

Your flashlight = 12-14" swing zone. My Louisville Slugger = 33" swing zone. You'll be an easy suspect to pick out of a lineup with "POWERIZED" imprinted on your forehead.

3up3down 2 years ago

No need to have to do a line-up when they are laying out on a slab in the morgue.

RoeDapple 2 years ago

Ole RoeDy turned a beautiful walnut bat out on the lathe a few years back. Now, walnut is no good for hitting baseballs, would splinter to nothing with a good hit, but standing next to the nightstand I refer to it as my first line of defense. Lines two and three are also nearby.

David Albertson 2 years ago

This is where I break ranks with the more Liberal members of these boards. To me, if someone breaks in to my house, that is a threat to my life and to the lives of my family. I should have every right to kill that person. Why should I have to wait for that person to display a lethal weapon before I can shoot? By then it would probably be too late. If someone is brave enough to rob another persons house while they are there, surely they would come armed.

Also, I moved out of Lawrence for this very reason. My house was broken in to 3 times in 4 years. The LPD was absolutely no help. A piece of paper documenting the robbery is a joke. The best advice I can give? Get a dog. Not a small lap dog but a large breed. It's in their nature to protect their "pack" and most burglars would rather find an easier target. At the very least the barking dog will give me time to load the 12 gauge.

Matthew Herbert 2 years ago

It's a bad sign for your political party that you have to break with the party to protect your family.

Crazy_Larry 2 years ago

"I should have every right to kill that person." And you do have that right in Kansas now.

21-5223. Same; defense of dwelling, place of work or occupied vehicle; no duty to retreat. (a) A person is justified in the use of force against another when and to the extent that it appears to such person and such person reasonably believes that such use of force is necessary to prevent or terminate such other's unlawful entry into or attack upon such person's dwelling, place of work or occupied vehicle. (b) A person is justified in the use of deadly force to prevent or terminate unlawful entry into or attack upon any dwelling, place of work or occupied vehicle if such person reasonably believes that such use of deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or another. (c) Nothing in this section shall require a person to retreat if such person is using force to protect such person's dwelling, place of work or occupied vehicle. History: L. 2010, ch. 136, § 22; L. 2011, ch. 30, § 8; July 1.

RoeDapple 2 years ago

"Hey Roed, do you get a deal on ammo if you buy a tinfoil hat too?" - CWGOKU

Nah, Walmart sells ammo for what it costs me to load my own.

RoeDapple 2 years ago

Now let's not pick on Geekin, he was just tryin' to get the ball rollin' . . . guess he did.

TopJayhawk 2 years ago

We get lots of practice in Topekie.
Chased a guy out of my garage last yr with my .38 Special Airweight . Didn't have the heart to shoot him as he spoke no English.
Don't feel as soft hearted this yr. No habla, no mercy.
I keep it in my pocket at all times around the house.
If they are in the house, well, that's a job for the ol' .44 spec. More deadly ot humans than a .44 mag. Ah well, everyone can't be Dirty Harry. Don't come peekin' Geekin'.

Charles L Bloss Jr 2 years ago

It is usually true that you must provide your own protection. We live out in the county, I am retired. We have a big dog that barks a lot and doesn't like strangers invading her territory. She wakes me up. Then I grab my .45 and check out the problem. Do not dismiss elders as being potential victims. Many of us know people think that, so we are prepared.

Alceste 2 years ago

During the course of such an aggravated burglarly (I do believe that means there is a person in the house at the time the burglary is taking place????) DOES a Kansas citizen have the right to flat out shoot the intruder irrespective of whether the intruder is armed or not? Shooting to maim ok?

oldbaldguy 2 years ago

actually, you do. Kansas adopted the "Castle Doctrine.". Never shoot to maim. Do a double tap center of mass or engage until neutralzied.

50YearResident 2 years ago

I think that is a gray area, depending on if you feel your life is threatened.

Jstanobservation 2 years ago

Aggravated burglary is reason (legal) for the use of deadly force.

Crazy_Larry 2 years ago

50YearResident 2 years ago

There are many weapons that an intruder can kill you with that are not guns. Some of them are hands, feet, kitchen knives, a vase, a club, a lamp and last but still lethal is a pillow. They don't have to bring some of these with them because they are readly available in your house.

Crazy_Larry 2 years ago

I stopped a burglar from entering my home once...chased them down and beat their butt. However, I got in trouble for shooting my pistol off within city limits (forgot to grab my cell phone when I left the house...I shot the pistol into the ground so people would call the cops). Later on, the LEO told me I should have just let them enter the house and shot them. Just remember this: warn them first (tell the perp that you have a gun, feel threatened, and will shoot) then take careful aim and shoot. If you fear for your life (or the life of another) then do what you have to do. Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Jstanobservation 2 years ago

If you are going to warn them and give away your position you had better be aiming as you do so.

rtwngr 2 years ago

Fire the warning shot into them.

oldbaldguy 2 years ago

never fire a warning shot. could get you in trouble, aggravated assault. the statute may have been changed to cover that. depends on what county you are in and whether the county attorney is worried about "vigilantes".

geekin_topekan 2 years ago

I knew all the wannabe Zimmers would come out in droves!

Why do you shorties equate un-armed with helpless?

RoeDapple 2 years ago

Damn! You don't give up do you?

;-)

50YearResident 2 years ago

Most of us didn't learn self defense and penis envey in county jail.

kernal 2 years ago

Don't leave your doors unlocked while you're working in the yard either. That's how an armed intruder gained entry to a residence in central Lawrence one summer.

oldbaldguy 2 years ago

i am not advocating shooting someone for the heck of it. however you do have the right by statute to defend yourself, your loved ones and your home. i hope no one is put in that position. unless you are a sociopath, taking life changes you. you will never get over it.

Jayhawk1958 2 years ago

Just by an alarm system for Christ's sake.

oldbaldguy 2 years ago

alarms are good ideas but what do you do while waiting for the police to show up? assuming the alarm works?

RoeDapple 2 years ago

Yeah, I have alarm(s). So does my neighbor. I've listened to his go off for nearly an hour before anyone responded. I have his code but what the heck. Always fun to see 3 or 4 emergency vehicles roll in for a false alarm. Nice guy but I ain't gonna take a bullet for him.