Lawrence city commissioners will meet at a special time at 3 p.m. Tuesday. Commissioners are scheduled to primarily handle administrative matters, including a resolution that will give the city the authority to issue up to $400,000 in general obligation bonds to pay for road improvements on Iowa Street.
The resolution is in preparation of a 2013 project that will involve repaving Iowa Street from 29th Street south to the Lawrence city limits. The total project is expected to cost $530,000. The Kansas Department of Transportation will pay for a portion of the project.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from June 26.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions.
• Approve all claims. The list of approved claims will be posted to the agenda the day after the City Commission meeting.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the City Clerk’s Office.
• Bid and purchase items:
a) Set a bid date of August 14 for Bid No. B1238; Pump Station 15 Reconstruction project UT0919CS General Wastewater Pumping Station Improvements. Bid documents to be available Wednesday.
b) Set a bid date of August 7 for replacement of three sections of the Senior Center/Fire Medical Station 1 roof system and adopt Resolution No. 6979, amending Resolution No. 6937, increasing general obligation bonds by $45,000 and approve expenditures of up to $24,000 from the capital improvement reserve fund.
c) Approve the purchase of two crew truck chassis for the Utilities Department from Olathe Ford off the Metro cooperative purchasing contract for a total of $112,856 and two utility bodies and under body air compressors from American Equipment, off the City of Olathe bid contract for a total of $93,894.
• Adopt the following ordinances on second and final reading:
a) Ordinance No. 8756, for the rezoning (Z-11-27-11) of approximately 12.40 acres and adjacent right-of-way from IG (General Industrial) to GPI (General Public and Institutional), at 138 Ala.
b) Ordinance No. 8757, for Comprehensive Plan Amendment (CPA-4-3-12) to Chapter 6 of Horizon 2020 to revise the existing commercial centers section, and to Chapter 14 Specific Plans, to revise the West Sixth Street and Wakarusa Drive Area Plan.
c) Ordinance No. 8758, for the rezoning (Z-4-6-12) of approximately 2.42 acres from RMO (Multi-Dwelling Residential-Office) to CN2 (Neighborhood Shopping Center), at 650 Congressional Drive.
d) Ordinance No. 8759, for Special Use Permit, (SUP-4-3-12) for an office/retail building with a drive-thru for an eating and drinking establishment use at 650 Congressional Drive.
e) Ordinance No. 8760, for the annexation (A-5-2-12) of approximately 12.29 acres, at 1783 E. 1450 Road (also known as 1545 N. Third St.), for Lawrence Recycle Center.
f) Ordinance No. 8761, for the rezoning (Z-5-7-12) of approximately 12.29 acres from I-2 (Light Industrial) County Zoning District to IG (General Industrial), at 1783 E. 1450 Road (also known as 1545 N. Third St.).
g) Ordinance No. 8762, for Special Use Permit (SUP-5-5-12) for Lawrence Recycle Center, at 1783 E. 1450 Road (also known as 1545 N. Third St.). (PC Item 5C; approved 9-0 on June 25.)
h) Ordinance No. 8763, allowing the possession and consumption of alcohol on the public right-of-way during the Sandbar Birthday Party, 1 p.m. Aug. 11 through 1 a.m. Aug. 12.
• Adopt Resolution No. 6978, authorizing the issuance of general obligation bonds for main trafficway improvements on Iowa Street in an amount of $400,000.
• Approve Special Event Permit, SE-12-00054, for the Lawrence Flea, a seasonal market and parking on the southwest corner of Eighth and Pennsylvania streets on Aug. 4. Submitted by Angela Longhurst for Lawrence Flea. Property owner of record is Tony Krsnich for Ohio Mortgage Investors, LLC.
• Approve a Temporary Use of Public Right-of-Way Permit allowing the closure of Vermont Street from Seventh Street south to the Parking Lot 13 entrance from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Aug. 2 for the Lawrence Public Library Last Bash of Summer; adopt on first reading, Ordinance No. 8766, allowing the possession and consumption of alcohol on the public right-of-way during the event.
• Approve a Temporary Use of Public Right-of-Way Permit for the Lawrence Busker Fest for the use of sidewalks and 10 parking stalls in front of 900 Mass. and the closure of the 100 block of East Eighth Street and the 100 block of East 10th Street Aug. 24-26; adopt on first reading Ordinance No. 8765, allowing the possession and consumption of alcohol on the public right-of-way on the 100 block of East Eighth Street during the event.
• Authorize the city manager to execute a license agreement permitting Bishop Seabury Academy, 4120 Clinton Parkway, to use certain portions of the Clinton Parkway right of way in accordance with the terms of that agreement.