Archive for Friday, July 6, 2012

Lawrence man, 29, sentenced to prison for sexually assaulting 13-year-old girl

July 6, 2012

Douglas County District Judge Peggy Kittel on Friday sentenced Brian L. Watson, who is now 29, Lawrence, to 32 months in prison after Watson pleaded guilty to one count of attempted aggravated indecent liberties with a child.

The case involved the sexual assault of a 13-year-old girl in December 2010. A misdemeanor charge of sexual battery involving another victim was dropped by prosecutors as part of a plea deal.

Watson’s attorney, J.C. Gilroy, asked Kittel to depart from the sentencing guidelines and order probation. The victim and her father also addressed the court during the hearing, however, and both asked that Watson be sent to prison.

Before handing down the sentence, which was two months less than the maximum under sentencing guidelines, Kittel said Watson’s actions and the statements he made during evaluations show he poses a risk to the community. Once released from prison, Watson will require lifetime court supervision and registration as a sex offender.

Comments

somebodynew 2 years, 5 months ago

"Kittel said Watson’s actions and the statements he made during evaluations show he poses a risk to the community."

Good Job, Judge !!!! Recognizing this fact and doing what you could about it. And think about it, how (whatever) must you be to make statements during an evaluation for court that proves you are dangerous ??!!?? I don't think society will miss this guy much.

kwilkins74 2 years, 5 months ago

If only all cases of this nature went this way!

loreniiii 2 years, 5 months ago

If only you all new the whole story. Then, and only then, you might be able to make an educated decision; However you do not know the whole story; so stand on your moral soap box and play the role of self appointed judge, jury, and executioner. Insert Nirvana's Serve the Servants lyrics

"Serve The Servants"

Teenage angst has paid off well Now I'm bored and old Self-appointed jugdes judge More than they have soul

If she floats than she is not A Witch what we thought A down payment on another One at Salem's lot

Serve the Servants - oh no Serve the Servants - oh no Serve the Servants - oh no Serve the Servants That legendary dirvorce is such a bore

As my bones grew they did hurt They hurt really bad I tried hard to have a father But instead I had a dad

I just want you to know that I Don't hate you anymore There is nothing I could say That I haven't thought before

loreniiii 2 years, 5 months ago

Hold on get of your soap box! I do know this guy, and the whole story. It is not my story to tell! If asked I would testify for him but it never came to that. I am not generally into posting things on here. Nor am I interested in justifying myself or him to people who do post on sights like this. This time that would include me. I am insouciant when it comes to people and their posts on most days. When your stupid shows like that i can't help myself. I don't usually concern myself with those who have nothing better to do than to sit and give the world their opinion as if the world or I truly cared what they had to say! Seriously get a twitter account, and post a tweet so you can feel important and justified in your own opinion. Also known as being conceited! My only point is people need get a life stop posting on here. I don't want to hear stories of righteous indignation and the system working this time from kwilkins74 or reneekangaroo on how I should not have an ill opinion or berate some of the other bloggers. I don't offer an opinion on something I know nothing about. Nor should anyone else that is my point. I guess that is an expectation on my part and that would fall under the expectation violation theory or on the psychology side it would say that expectations are premeditated resentments. moving on. As for kwilkins74 comment, it is my opinion that this intolerance would lead to the mentality that breeds the type of arrogance that gave birth to the saying kill'em all and lot god sort 'em out. Not a good way to handle these type of situations. I digress! As for the song lyrics they are fitting in this instance! Two reasons people who judge on this blog and the civil process was not served correctly lets face it if it happened and they had proof he would have got 25 years not 3 this is a win for the prosecutors office no doubt politics are in play here. think about it Jessica's law 25 years minimum sentence they pleaded down because they had nothing and they want one for the books they played a game of poker with him they bluffed and they won. It is the old adage "are you feeling lucky" he wasn't the justice system does send innocent people to jail. Not just those that say they are cause lets face it everyone in jail says they are innocent.

FloridaSunshine 2 years, 5 months ago

I've got an opinion you're not going to like AT ALL, Loreniiiiiiiiiiiii...

You are one sick cookie.

loreniiii 2 years, 5 months ago

Oh ouch, you hurt my feelings. Grow up!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 2 years, 5 months ago

It's pretty unusual for TWO victims to come forward and for police to have enough evidence to charge on multiple victims unless there is some legitimacy to the charges. One 13 year old girl could be confused or whatever, but they had two sex crime victims making unrelated claims against this guy.

Are you saying there was NO sexual contact? If there was ANY sexual contact, then he deserves what he got. Either it was nothing more than a fabrication (two victims), or he really needed to get this conviction.

Which is true?

Armored_One 2 years, 5 months ago

Here... Have a cookie, and some milk. Now that you have had a snack, go on outside and play, now that you have oh so viciously placed everyone in their places. How dare someone have an opinion, especially an opinion that not only doesn't mesh with your opinion, but one that you are intentionally hampering by not "giving the whole story".

Face it, princess. If you didn't testify, you likely either have something to hide, or you are just blowing sunshine to make yourself feel better in one form or another.

Either open up and share this secret insider information, or shaddup, press on, and leave well enough alone. Playing the "I have a secret" game is moronic in grade school, and I am reasonably certain you are at least in middle school.

Jayhawk_4_Life 2 years, 5 months ago

your writing would make a 6th grader cringe

beatrice 2 years, 5 months ago

29 year old man + 13 year old child = whole story

sickofdummies 2 years, 5 months ago

Whole story? What possible justification can there be for a 29 year old taking 'indecent liberties' with a 13 year old?

loreniiii 2 years, 5 months ago

again you know what happened you were there ? then offer no opinions

FloridaSunshine 2 years, 5 months ago

Listen honey child...I'll give my opinion any ol' time I wish to do so. That's what this forum is all about. I think you've had too much to drink or you're on "something"...or it could be that, as I said before, you're just one sick cookie!!

loreniiii 2 years, 5 months ago

"Wow" I did not know that you could think. Good for you! You get yours, god knows it should be good. I don't drink, do drugs or anything of that nature. If the you are going to make a comment like that don't you typically need to say it once; before the as I said before applies? You did not say it before. So you might consider going back to school to learn how to form complete thoughts, and sentences! Clearly my IQ is higher than yours. Good grief! It is so neat how extra periods put some kind of emphasis on your worthless bombast as if you can't find the words needed to drive your point home........... So now we have to use a conjunction such as you're. You did have proper usage of you're I am glad that you can differentiate between your and you're. Next time you are ready to attack think it through, type it out, and please try harder next time. You did give it "the old college try" but I bet you did not got to college. You have got to bring your A game next time.

Linda Endicott 2 years, 5 months ago

I would suggest you take your posts here to the nearest English professor at any college, and let them see if they can find a complete thought or complete sentence in any of them...

I haven't understood half of what you've tried to say, as your posts are rambling, disjointed, and apparently have words missing here and there...

Clearly, your IQ is not higher than any other poster here...

FloridaSunshine 2 years, 5 months ago

Little girl...Loreniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii....you're starting to get on my last frayed nerve. Just look a few posts above where there are several "replies" to your rant...click on that and you'll see that I did, indeed, tell you before that you are one sick cookie. And I'm telling you again, so that's THREE (3) times. Now, you need to go home, get on the phone, and arrange some summer classes to better yourself in school for the future rather than defending some perverted 29-year-old. You are self-destructing right before our eyes with every comment you post on here regarding this issue. Save yourself before it's too late.

FloridaSunshine 2 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, Jayhawk...and, unfortunately, her being psycho probably has something to do with the 29-year-old pervert.

missH 2 years, 5 months ago

It is only peoples right to have a opinion I do believe that is what the comments are for is for people to voice there opinion. just sayin

beatrice 2 years, 5 months ago

loreniii, everyone's taxes pay for the prosecution and now jail time for this convicted perv, thus everyone has every right to his or her opinions on the matter.

I suspect you wouldn't feel the same sense of indignation about the comments being made if it was your little sister, now would you?

FloridaSunshine 2 years, 5 months ago

+1 (I cannot get the "thumbs up" to work.)

FloridaSunshine 2 years, 5 months ago

Nor can I get some of my responses to "land" where I want them to "land"...such as the +1 above. Perhaps all the bugs will be worked out someday soon...hopefully.

Chris Baker 2 years, 5 months ago

There is a 52 year old man in the county jail for worse charges, or rather, not just "attempted" indecent liberties, and with more than one child. He was in court today and I am hoping the LJW will report on it somehow.

missH 2 years, 5 months ago

As you said @loreniiiiii nobody knows the whole story not even you only that 13 yo and 29 yo know what the truth is and they are also the ones that have to live with the effects of everything that has happen.

Steve Jacob 2 years, 5 months ago

I cut some slack on some of these cases, but 29 and 13 I can't. Loreniiii I understand pleading guilty and not getting 25 years, but if you plead guilty, you are guilty.

loreniiii 2 years, 5 months ago

Well the childs mom knows because she was there!!

kwilkins74 2 years, 5 months ago

Hey lorniii.... You have your opinion I have mine. Our life has been turned upside down by a similar circumstance. My opinion.... Get off YOUR soapbox so you can get your head out of the clouds. It seems to be obscuring your view.

loreniiii 2 years, 5 months ago

i dont condone this sort of thing. I am sorry for what happened to turn your life upside down. That does not mean he is guilty of indecent liberties nothing happened ask the mom. My head is not in the clouds. the children's story changed two or three times i think he got railroaded why change your story if it is the truth. not to mention the grandmother who coached them the whole way first it was that the guy beat the kids when that did not stick then it was he touched the kids they all had rape kits done and were examined but doctors no evidence was found. to top it off when brian was on his way out of court everyone was laughing as if it was a game sounds fishy. if harm was done to those kids i think they would have cried not laughed just saying the guy did not even have a chance it was truly guilty until proven innocent. that is some of the information that not everyone has. besides this is the second time this same family has sent someone to jail for similar actions the boy who cried wolf comes to mind

loreniiii 2 years, 5 months ago

This is no attempt to be a heavy thinker. This is simply how large my vocabulary is. I know quiet impressive. Thanks!!! Oh you spelled Kurt's name wrong. Kurt Donald Cobain is his name. The spelling in the previous sentence the correct spelling. If you would take the time to look it up and make sure your facts are straight you would have known that. Laziness. I Am glad you can laugh at this it makes me feel warm and tingly inside. If you would make sure you take note of the structure and the way in which I systematically shut most comments down. With ideas of expectation violation theory; such psychology concepts that expectations are premeditated resentments. Those ideas are truly moronic on my part and would clearly be above your head and simply throwing them out on the table thinking that you might have a clue would indeed make me a idiot. good day

Jayhawk_4_Life 2 years, 5 months ago

"quiet impressive", "The spelling in the previous sentence the correct spelling"....Nuff Said.

curious_one 2 years, 5 months ago

First of all if you are innocent, why would you plead guilty or enter into a plea deal? If it's a frabricated story why wouldn't you fight till the end and let justice previal.

I simpily do not beleive he is innocent. If you pled guilty, you are guilty. Unless he just wanted to be supervised by the court and be placed on the offenders list for life.

Right Lorniii.

loreniiii 2 years, 5 months ago

well on the outside it would appear that way if it was me i would have fought it tooth and nail if i was not guilty he simply did what the attorney told him to do

ebyrdstarr 2 years, 5 months ago

I have absolutely no dog in the fight of this particular case, do not know the facts of this case, etc.

But I do want to say that people who are innocent most certainly do enter into plea deals and plead guilty. If you're charged with a felony, you're either in custody pending the resolution of the case or someone has posted your bail. If you're in jail, you're probably going to lose your job and the longer you stay in jail, the harder it will become to keep it. If you're out of jail, someone is out a considerable amount of money and may be faced with losing more if you are accused of screwing up on bail.

Then there are the attorneys fees. It costs a lot of money to defend against criminal charges. So if you're looking at paying, say, $5K just for a plea or $20k and up to go to trial, you begin to see that there is often a very real financial incentive to pleading just to make the costs less.

And there is also the fear of the unknown. Your faith that you won't be convicted of something you didn't do is already shaken because you've been arrested and dragged into court for something you didn't do. You no longer assume that the truth will set you free, that the next round of people looking at your case will see your innocence because the people up to this point haven't cared. So then you get offered a deal that gets you probation or only 2 years in prison when you could be facing 25. It's not so crazy to take that deal. End the stress. The financial strain. And get out of the nightmare that you're now starting to fear could last for decades.

Again, no one should read any of this comment as a reflection on this particular case. I just felt compelled to give a general response to the idea that an innocent person would plead guilty. We all want to believe that we would fight for justice for ourselves all the way, but the reality is we don't all have the ability to do so.

jayhawkstalk 2 years, 5 months ago

It is amazing how people close to offenders always think there is another side that justifies the guy's actions, or somehow explains how it is all incorrect. It is ridiculous! This frame of mind is a distinct problem. Just because you know someone or care about them doesn't mean you should only see what you want to see. Sex offenders can't be cured. They won't. They will fight the rest of their lives to overcome their urges- if the therapy works- and will probably give in someday. If it doesn't, they will just repeat their crimes sooner rather than later.

These sex offenders are the reason that we as parents can't let our kids play alone outside, or walk to the park alone, or ride their bikes out of our line of vision, or spend the night with a friend whose father we don't know. These sex offenders don't just change the lives of the children they abuse, but also of all the families who have to watch out for them day in and day out.

If this guy in this article pled guilty, then there isn't a doubt. He should be put away. There is not enough of a hidden or back story to change that. He is a sex offender who should be punished. Don't forget, there are many parents out there who would take much more drastic action against someone who hurt their child. A few years away in a cell somewhere? Not strong enough, not long enough, and will in no way cure it. But at least it will get this guy away from kids for a few years.

loreniiii 2 years, 5 months ago

I am not saying he is innocent I am saying their are things that need to be addressed. did you know that the child's own mother is a sex offender and that she was present when any indiscretions allegedly took place she hid from the cops the whole time they were looking for her to testify on the event that took place. She is the only other person who could have put this to rest. She ran in ran in fear. It was her duty as a parent to take the stand and be her child's advocate don't you think.

loreniiii 2 years, 5 months ago

once those things are addressed then the truth will come out

beatrice 2 years, 5 months ago

Actually, yes, you did say he is innocent. You stated very clearly "nothing happened ask the mother." Nothing happened equals innocent. You are now defending a convicted and imprisoned sex offender.

However, you are free to feel about this as you wish. And when Watson gets out of prison you can be nice and give him his first job ... babysitting your children. I mean, he did "nothing," so why would you ever hesitate from being around any children in your family?

lynncobb37 2 years, 5 months ago

look this person is my cousin, All this is based on is accusations coming from the in laws,because they dont like him. His wife also had alot to do with this, but where is she to be found. she has been MIA since the beginning. So before you speak on this you should find out the facts. I believe he has been wrongly accused. Its sad hes never been in trouble before with the law, and now he is gonna spend 3 years in prison for something I believe is not true.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 5 months ago

People like to be on the sides of those who are "insouciant".

Steve Jacob 2 years, 5 months ago

Fact is he pleaded guilty, end of it. If he went to trial he gets the benefit of doubt until the very end.

loreniiii 2 years, 5 months ago

I am not even going their with you number 1 grandma if I am wrong I am sorry if the mom would come forward and say if this stuff actually happened I would leave well enough alone in fact I will leave it alone now I am sorry for any harm to those kids no kid should be subjected to that as for birds of a feather comment that's pretty bold and slanderous and looks as if it was said to try to get a reaction not going to give it any other response again hope and pray if this stuff is true that the kids are ok and get the help they need to work through this whole ordeal

beatrice 2 years, 5 months ago

This is your brain.

This is your brain without punctuation.

Any questions?

FloridaSunshine 2 years, 5 months ago

What an unbelievable situation. Pathetic...

polopony 2 years, 5 months ago

Loreniiii, where did you go to school? Who was your English teacher in high school? "I am not even going their with you number 1 grandma" people will have more respect for your opinions if you are able to understand the difference between their, there and they're. Until you are able to spell properly and are able to use punctuation in a sentence, no one, and I mean no one, will be willing to listen to your rants. I cannot even read what you are saying just because it hurts too much to look at. You won't get far in this world if you cannot use proper grammar. They have this cool new software called 'spell check'. Use it my friend.

LadyJ 2 years, 5 months ago

Love it when cuzins and friends get on.

MaxBlue80 2 years, 5 months ago

It saddens me greatly that there are apparently still people out in the world who commit these horrible acts. But hopefully there's now one less.

broken_angel 2 years, 5 months ago

I do not normally respond to things on here but this hit a nerve. One thing is correct. No one but him and those girls know what happened. My heart goes out to the girls. I am glad that the one girl father stood up and made a statement.. I don't think the girls were laughing . Maybe they might have been smiling because now they can have some kind of closure. They were robbed of a childhood,trust,a normal life, and family. So if he is locked up for that short of time then he deserves it. Those girls have to deal with this for the rest of their lives. He only has to deal with it a short time of being locked up. I think they should throw away the key. And as far as the mom is goes no one knows for sure if she was there or not during the time these were happening because she was not in court. If she was there then she should be held accountable also and get more time than him.

curious_one 2 years, 5 months ago

When you are arrested, you are read your marianda rights. First thing they tell you "you have the right to remain silent". Obviously this right was never exercised,because he made statements that made him a risk to the community. If you keep your mouth shut untill your attorney is present there is no evidence to convict you. If you plead guilty,you are guilty.

lynncobb37 2 years, 5 months ago

well im just saying that I dont believe that he did what he is accused of. and yes i read the part of him being a risk to the community. I dont know exactly what went on in court, but im sure that he was scared of being found guilty going to a jury trial, therefore he took the plea agreement. His so called wife needs to com forward to. and take responsibility also. and I do know tht all this crap and accusations towards brian started right after he threw his mother in law out of his house for disrespecting him. I mean what would you do 3 years plea agreement verses 56 years if found guilty, theres alot of people sitting in jail and prison today that are innocent. Its just sad .

beatrice 2 years, 5 months ago

"It's just sad"

That is exactly how I would sum up your comment as well.

broken_angel 2 years, 5 months ago

It's just really sad that they can not see what he has done to these girls. If he was not guilty then he would not be in jail. There had to be enough proof for the judge to find him guilty. I am sure if the police thought the girls were not telling the truth then charges would not have been brought against him. Now also he told them he had done some things to the girls. He needs to come clean so he can get the help HE NEEDS... Yes the mom needs to be held accountable for her part in all this as well. But if she won't show up for court then to stand by her girls then that shows her guilt.

Linda Endicott 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't even know anything about this case...if he is guilty then yes, he needs to be in jail...

But surely you aren't naive and gullible enough to believe that only guilty people go to jail...

Many innocent people go to jail...and many guilty people walk free...the justice system isn't perfect...

lynncobb37 2 years, 5 months ago

No he didnt tell the law that he did some things to the girls, I dont know where you got that from. thats all i have to say on this subject. two sides to every story, know the facts before you speak on it, Just sayin Ya'll have a nice evening.

beatrice 2 years, 5 months ago

No, there are not two sides to every story. Any adult praying on a child does not have a side, only a perverted motive.

lynncobb37 2 years, 5 months ago

AND YES THE MOM SHOULD STEP UP AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY!

broken_angel 2 years, 5 months ago

And were you in court during the trial? Do you know what was said at his trial ? If so I guess you might have missed what he admitted to! Just saying I know some of the things that was said in court.

LadyJ 2 years, 5 months ago

"two sides to every story" The only side that counts is the victim's. Excuses and finger pointing is NOT a "side", sorry.

lynncobb37 2 years, 5 months ago

Ok Trial, it never went to trial. so much you know

broken_angel 2 years, 5 months ago

You are right it was not trial it was just court. Where he had the chance to tell his side to the judge and everyone else that was there. But he choose not to. He could have gotten up and spoke for his self plus the other people that were there on his side could have spoke on what a good person they thought he was. No one stood up for him on record. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

acg 2 years, 5 months ago

Child raper, execute him, end of story!! He preyed on a child. He's an adult. There is no other side to it. If the mother is somehow culpable she should lose her kids and spend the rest of her life in prison for allowing this monster to be anywhere near her girls. God I hate baby diddlers!!!

shersher 2 years, 5 months ago

As a Girl Scout leader and PTO board member of 8 years of the time this family was together not only did I spend time with the family, but it was mandatory for me to make reports if such issues were suspected. I also was at the court hearing last friday. The judge did not sentence him based on the evaluation. The evaluation did not show any evidence of having isuues that pertatained to the case. In fact the physical and sexual examinations done a year and a half ago when allegations started did not show any evidence of such allegations. The judge said because he gave advise about staying abstinent to a 16 year old that he did not know his boundaries because that is the parent's job. However the child's mother was in jail for hitting the child and the father she had never met. The DA called the father's girlfriend of the three middle children as one of the child's younger sibling's name who was not even present. And that father said no to giving a statement. The father of the oldest child said he had known the man for years and called him by the name of the father of the three middle children when giving his statement. The oldest child who gave a statement said she was scared to say anything then turned around and said she had said something several times and nothing was done. She also said she left the home a year before and allegation were brought up. She left the younger children in the home.The girls did laugh periodically during court and all the way down the hall upon leaving.Many of the previous opinionated comments were made against the mother and stepfather.The mother was not MIA and both the mother and the father of the child (5th and youngest) had supervised visits the past year with their child. The accusation that the mother is a sex offender was made by the mother of the father of the oldest child when the parents were both teenagers at time. Reasons for the sex charge made such as getting the mother away from the mother's mom were also given. I had gaurdianship of the youngest child for the past year. I watched how this effected everyone.

shersher 2 years, 5 months ago

Brian waived his rights to read such reports because he can not read well and waived his rights for a lawyer at the 6 hour taped investigation because he felt he did nothing wrong. Brian took the plea to protect everyone. So that the girls would not be condoned to lieing and the family would not have to hear this and go through more pain than it has already cause. I never had suspected any such issues or made any reports or concerns other that offer support and suggest counseling for mother and grandmother, and mother and children relationships. Once the physicals reports were unsubstanciated from january of 2011 when the children wanted to stay with their fathers other reports of sexual were than made. Reports were made and found unsubstatnciated until the law intended for protection came into play. Now the older girls have their dad and the youngest does not. And those one absent parents sre no longer obligated to pay child support. Brian is a small uneduacationed guy with a loyal loving and huge heart. He was the step parent and stood by the family regaurdless of the step backs or downfalls. The mother is compassionate and heart broken that the oldest said comments such hurtful things. Both from a background of poor sociaonomic background and both of them love the children still. Blaming isn't getting anywhere. Blamming of the oldest girl telling the second to oldest girl she knew how to get what they wanted and get back at the parents. blamming the grandmother and mother for not giving the kids the relationship they wanted, and blaming the justice system, and riduiculing the family is not the answer. It only causes more pain for everyone involed.