Archive for Thursday, July 5, 2012

Amber alert canceled: 16-year-old girl in Leavenworth found

July 5, 2012

Authorities have cancelled an Amber Alertafter locating a missing 16-year-old girl from Leavenworth.

Jenna Marie Hord.

Jenna Marie Hord.

Logan Burris

Logan Burris

Police responded to a disturbance on Wednesday at a convenience store and learned that two male suspects had been involved in a fight.

One of them, 17-year-old Logan C. Burris, was reportedly seen grabbing the missing girl and shoving her into the passenger side of her vehicle. Burris has also been located by law enforcement in Hiawatha, Kansas by the Brown County Sheriff's Office.

Comments

hujiko 2 years, 3 months ago

LJW: Might want to check the headline one more time.

chansirlong 2 years, 3 months ago

msezdsit 2 years, 3 months ago

So, this really warranted an amber alert. Might have been a community, family, local police matter? My only concern is whether this type of situation discredits the "amber alert" You know, when you hear it you think, oh thats just a couple teenagers (whom have had a history with each other) jumping in a car and driving off like they have done many times before. The kids will show up wondering what all the hoop la was all about. Maybe in a little trouble with their parents.

missmagoo 2 years, 3 months ago

Agreed. The signs were up all over the interstates and all, for what? Romeo and Juliet?

I never read any media reports stating she had been kidnapped or was being held against her will. Amber alerts are for abductions and kidnappings of children. Not teenage runaways, sheesh.

mdab1609 2 years, 3 months ago

"Logan C. Burris, was reportedly seen grabbing the missing girl and shoving her into the passenger side of her vehicle."

Seems a little more serious than teenage runaways.

acg 2 years, 3 months ago

If he was seen grabbing the girl and shoving her into a car, what would you have wanted people to do if it had been YOUR teenaged daughter? Besides, when you think about the numbers of girls that are in abusive relationships with twisted, hateful little boys, then I for one am glad they used the Amber Alert in this instance. It all worked out in the end, and it is obvious now it was just some kid drama, but it could've been much worse.

msezdsit 2 years, 3 months ago

I am aware of what reports were made. This was a situation with a history between these two teenagers. I wouldn't imply that this wasn't a dangerous situation. However the "amber alert" was created to separate situations that are particularly dangerous to children and you either use if for that purpose or water it down in which case undermines its original purpose. I just don't think this warranted an amber alert and I predicted the outcome as well.

bad_dog 2 years, 3 months ago

Last night at 10:00, KCTV 5 news reported the young man allegedly told the girl to get in the car or he would shoot her in the head.

I'm no Nostradamus, but this sounds like a good enough reason for an amber alert.

msezdsit 2 years, 3 months ago

The gun appeared after the story had been told many times without a gun being mentioned. I think it took the addition of a gun to re-energize the story.

bad_dog 2 years, 3 months ago

The authorities don't always reveal all the details in early reports of events. Nevertheless, neither I nor KCTV5 stated there actually was a gun, just that a witness indicated the young man stated he had one and would shoot her if she did not go with him. What you or I believe isn't as important as what the authorities; the parties responsible for gathering the facts and issuing the alert believe.

Regardless whether there was a gun involved, IMHO this was much more than just a couple of teenagers jumping into a car and driving off like they have done many times before as you mused above. With or without a gun, if it was my daughter involved I'd be thankful the authorities agreed.

msezdsit 2 years, 3 months ago

Sure, most parents would feel this way if it was their daughter but that, in itself, doesn't warrant an "amber alert". My bet is that there have been many incidents carrying a similar weight of danger that have never been elevated to an amber alert. If we declare everyone of those situations an "amber alert", the sense of emergency and danger will be diminished, thus the entire purpose of the "amber alert" will be diminished.

bad_dog 2 years, 3 months ago

If "most" parents would feel that way, than those directly involved and affected have the "most" viable opinion, IMHO. At least this turned out well.

Enjoy your weekend.

mcmandy 2 years, 3 months ago

http://www.amberalert.gov/guidelines.htm Seems to me that the call was warranted per the guidelines. That there may have been a "history" between the two should throw up more red flags rather than just chopping it up to "teenagers will be teenagers."

Phoghorn 2 years, 3 months ago

mcmandy: I may have to report your comment as you are offering quality links to official information. Posting facts, instead of armchair quarterback opinions, is a gross violation of the terms of usage around here.

msezdsit 2 years, 3 months ago

Come on in out of the Phog phoghorn, I recently read the "terms of use" and nowhere does it say people aren't entitled to express their opinions. Guess you have decided to stray from the facts.

Phoghorn 2 years, 3 months ago

You might want to re-read my comment :-)

Phoghorn 2 years, 3 months ago

Uh, oh, maybe my own sarcasm dector is broken. I know that Roe Dapple has a tinfoil hat business. Does he also do sarcasm detector repair?

msezdsit 2 years, 3 months ago

Not sure where the volley left off on this but It is a good thing when people post facts (links to facts) and certainly the more the better. I'm relatively new to this forum but I would agree that when people post opinion and try to impose it as fact it is not a good thing. I too am very pleased that this young women is apparently safe and I hope that in fact is a fact.

msezdsit 2 years, 3 months ago

Amber Alerts should get peoples full attention. When people get to a situation where they start picking and choosing or just ignoring amber alerts then they become less affective thus undermining the whole benefit (safety) they should provide. There are certainly situations that don't warrant an amber alert. There are many situations that we have not heard about because the "amber alert" was not deemed necessary. This is not to say those situations weren't dangerous to the persons involved.

Phoghorn 2 years, 3 months ago

Glad she is safe. I also don't want Amber Alerts issued everytime a child climbs a tree and disappears from view. That being said, this had all the hallmarks of a kidnapping. Hats off to the Brown Co. Sheriff Department all others who assisted in locating this young lady.

bevy 2 years, 3 months ago

She is under 18, therefore, she is a CHILD. She was forced into a car against her will (according to witnesses) therefore, she was kidnapped. The Amber alert was appropriate. Don't let facts get in the way of your spurious argument, though.

ebyrdstarr 2 years, 3 months ago

Being forced into a car against your will is kidnapping. Police had a report that this is what had happened to this girl. The Amber Alert guidelines call for an alert to be used for anyone under 18. A 16 year-old in Michigan counts as an Amber Alert success story for very similar circumstances. Her boyfriend kidnapped her in May 2009. She was rescued when someone spotted the car described in the alert and called police. A quick look through of Amber Alert success stories on a missing kids websites reveals other incidents of teenagers being rescued thanks to Amber Alerts. Seems like people are paying attention.

msezdsit 2 years, 3 months ago

You make the point of how valuable the "amber alert" system has been. If it is overused this will diminish that value. This isn't a question as to what the fine line definition of the "amber alert" states but rather about the publics opinion of the program. Most people aren't going to pull out the official guidelines of what qualifies as an amber alert but rather will take the story at face value and decide if they are concerned about it or not.

ebyrdstarr 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm sorry, I'm not really sure what your point is. My point was that there are set guidelines for use of the system. This case fit those guidelines. As have other similar cases, which had successful resolutions thanks to the system. Therefore, this was an appropriate use of the system and the evidence of similar cases demonstrates that this is not a case to which people will not pay attention.

bevy 2 years, 3 months ago

I know this has been all over the news, and I suppose pictures of both kids have been, as well. But what happened to keeping pictures of juveniles out of the paper in criminal cases?

msezdsit 2 years, 3 months ago

I think it would be hard for people to report "have you seen this child, call the police" if they didn't know what they looked like.

paulveer 2 years, 3 months ago

Interesting comments on both sides of the "Amber Alert" issue, but am I the only one left baffled by the story itself. It's disjointed, confusing, and apparently missing some information.

Fred Mertz 2 years, 3 months ago

Gosh darn golly, they issued an amber alert for a teenager and I wasted 10 seconds reading it. 10 seconds of my life I'll never get back.

Gosh darn golly, what a waste of time, except if it were my child that went missing then I'd be all over it.