Archive for Thursday, July 5, 2012

Amber alert canceled: 16-year-old girl in Leavenworth found

July 5, 2012

Authorities have cancelled an Amber Alertafter locating a missing 16-year-old girl from Leavenworth.

Jenna Marie Hord.

Jenna Marie Hord.

Logan Burris

Logan Burris

Police responded to a disturbance on Wednesday at a convenience store and learned that two male suspects had been involved in a fight.

One of them, 17-year-old Logan C. Burris, was reportedly seen grabbing the missing girl and shoving her into the passenger side of her vehicle. Burris has also been located by law enforcement in Hiawatha, Kansas by the Brown County Sheriff's Office.

Comments

Brock Masters 1 year, 9 months ago

Gosh darn golly, they issued an amber alert for a teenager and I wasted 10 seconds reading it. 10 seconds of my life I'll never get back.

Gosh darn golly, what a waste of time, except if it were my child that went missing then I'd be all over it.

paulveer 1 year, 9 months ago

Interesting comments on both sides of the "Amber Alert" issue, but am I the only one left baffled by the story itself. It's disjointed, confusing, and apparently missing some information.

Gotland 1 year, 9 months ago

Amber alerts aren't for Wiskey Tango spats.

bevy 1 year, 9 months ago

I know this has been all over the news, and I suppose pictures of both kids have been, as well. But what happened to keeping pictures of juveniles out of the paper in criminal cases?

Phoghorn 1 year, 9 months ago

Glad she is safe. I also don't want Amber Alerts issued everytime a child climbs a tree and disappears from view. That being said, this had all the hallmarks of a kidnapping. Hats off to the Brown Co. Sheriff Department all others who assisted in locating this young lady.

msezdsit 1 year, 9 months ago

Amber Alerts should get peoples full attention. When people get to a situation where they start picking and choosing or just ignoring amber alerts then they become less affective thus undermining the whole benefit (safety) they should provide. There are certainly situations that don't warrant an amber alert. There are many situations that we have not heard about because the "amber alert" was not deemed necessary. This is not to say those situations weren't dangerous to the persons involved.

mcmandy 1 year, 9 months ago

http://www.amberalert.gov/guidelines.htm Seems to me that the call was warranted per the guidelines. That there may have been a "history" between the two should throw up more red flags rather than just chopping it up to "teenagers will be teenagers."

acg 1 year, 9 months ago

If he was seen grabbing the girl and shoving her into a car, what would you have wanted people to do if it had been YOUR teenaged daughter? Besides, when you think about the numbers of girls that are in abusive relationships with twisted, hateful little boys, then I for one am glad they used the Amber Alert in this instance. It all worked out in the end, and it is obvious now it was just some kid drama, but it could've been much worse.

mdab1609 1 year, 9 months ago

"Logan C. Burris, was reportedly seen grabbing the missing girl and shoving her into the passenger side of her vehicle."

Seems a little more serious than teenage runaways.

msezdsit 1 year, 9 months ago

So, this really warranted an amber alert. Might have been a community, family, local police matter? My only concern is whether this type of situation discredits the "amber alert" You know, when you hear it you think, oh thats just a couple teenagers (whom have had a history with each other) jumping in a car and driving off like they have done many times before. The kids will show up wondering what all the hoop la was all about. Maybe in a little trouble with their parents.

hujiko 1 year, 9 months ago

LJW: Might want to check the headline one more time.