Archive for Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Silent auction?

July 3, 2012

To the editor,

Leaving aside (for now) the question of whether the conservative Supreme Court’s “Citizen United” decision was politically motivated, perhaps someone would explain to me the benefit of having massive amounts of secretive (foreign?) money pumped into our electoral system at the federal, state and local levels. I would really like to hear how this is a good thing. For this man, it feels like what we’ve done is replace a political system with a silent auction. Perhaps we should really enjoy the upcoming 4th of July, while it still means something.

Comments

cato_the_elder 5 years, 5 months ago

Foreign money? The writer must be referring to money from George Soros.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 5 months ago

I know this is one of your typical throwaway posts, high in attempted cuteness, short on facts, but the fact is, Soros has been a US citizen for more than 50 years.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 5 months ago

But you probably worship the Koch brothers who do the same.

Kirk Larson 5 years, 5 months ago

"who keeps his billions in offshore accounts."........like the presumptive republican candidate for President.

parrothead8 5 years, 5 months ago

"...who keeps his billions in offshore accounts."

What's wrong with that? Mitt Romney has offshore accounts in Switzerland, Bermuda, and the Cayman Islands.

ivalueamerica 5 years, 5 months ago

ohh, cato...how embarrassing for you. To humiliate yourself so deeply in public must take a toll at some point.

cato_the_elder 5 years, 5 months ago

It's foreign money, pal. Sorry to see you humiliate yourself so badly.

ivalueamerica 5 years, 5 months ago

really out of touch with reality response, as usual.

I live in Peru and I am a US citizen who votes, pays taxes and fully participates in my duties as a US citizen. If I make some of my money in Peru and some of my money in the USA, according to your definition, it is foreign money.

Your post is an epic fail...and your fighting tooth and nail to pretend not to see it is so sad. Good luck with that.

Crazy_Larry 5 years, 5 months ago

June 15, 2012 McCain laments 'foreign money' in Romney's presidential campaign "Sen. John McCain said in an interview posted online Friday that "foreign money" was helping fellow Republican Mitt Romney's presidential hopes and singled out one of his ally's most generous supporters." http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/06/15/4036241/mccain-laments-foreign-money-in.html

SnakeFist 5 years, 5 months ago

You forgot to use the word "flex". I always look forward to seeing it in your nonsensical posts, and now I've been disappointed. Sadness.

Crazy_Larry 5 years, 5 months ago

That 'condom comment' was pretty funny though.

Carol Bowen 5 years, 5 months ago

Am I missing something? I thought the writer was referring to our electoral system. What does that have to do with liberals?

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

Looks like some of the big donors to the Mope's campaign in 2008 have gotten buyer's remorse.

cato_the_elder 5 years, 5 months ago

The incompetent clown who lives at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Matthew Herbert 5 years, 5 months ago

It's hard to call the court conservative in light of the health care decision

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 5 months ago

Roberts used this ruling as a backdoor way to attack the use of the commerce clause, which is the foundation for a good deal of federal law and regulation-- so, yes, it is still a very conservative court.

Kate Rogge 5 years, 5 months ago

That's how I read it too. That and Roberts wants to be the biggest swinging ***k and the focus of all attention paid to the SCOTUS. IMHO

Brock Masters 5 years, 5 months ago

I don't think pumping lots of corporate money into elections is a good thing, but the issue isn't if it is good or not, but whether it is constitutional. The SCOTUS shouldn't look at whether an issue is good or bad, but whether it is constitutional.

If the constitution allows something that is detrimental to society then society can amend the constitution. It is not the role of the SCOTUS to deviate from what is constitutional simply because it is the "right" thing to do.

We, as the people, must accept decisions that are constitutional regardless of our personal beliefs. We then, if we feel strongly enough, can work to amend the constitution to address the concern.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 5 months ago

There's nothing in the constitution that says corporations are people.

Brock Masters 5 years, 5 months ago

And yet, it is constitutional. Nothing in the constitution about being able to tax people who don't buy health insurance and yet, it too is constitutional.

Brock Masters 5 years, 5 months ago

And see, when the SCOTUS doesn't consider an issue solely on its constitutionality, we get bad decisions.

Crazy_Larry 5 years, 5 months ago

The population of the USA in 1992 was about 255,000,000 people. The population today is around 320,000,000... Now, let us postulate that the number of citizens on disability is 1% and that percentage stays constant year after year... In 1992 there were 2.5 million people on disability and in 2012 there are 3.2 million people on disability. My goodness, look at the number grow! Same percentage of the population is disabled though. Math is amazing...

SnakeFist 5 years, 5 months ago

Yaaaayyyyy! A plethora of "Flex". Thanks, FalseHopeNoChange. I hope the nursing home never takes your computer away or ups your meds.

Crazy_Larry 5 years, 5 months ago

Another point to be sussed out is whether or not the increase in those on disability are veterans returning from the Bush Co. wars in Iraq (they lied us into that one) and Afghanistan (likely another war we were lied into). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF16BF...

somedude20 5 years, 5 months ago

I hope I don't get out bidded on the race for "Dog Catcher" as I really want that bubba in my back pocket. Oh, I love the smell of power in the morning!

beatrice 5 years, 5 months ago

What do you mean by "Librul Thang"? Why this form of slang?

paulveer 5 years, 5 months ago

pizzapete: yesterday you asked some posters to stop posting because their idiotic drivel was giving real Repubs a bad name. While that is certainly true, it's mostly your own fault. You guys swept Brownback and the Tea Party into office, and now, like it or not, FHNC and BAA are your spokespeople. If your are embarrassed and shamed, maybe it's time to clean house, vote responsibly, and bring sanity back to public discourse. Your post was a small step, but a good start.

Mike Ford 5 years, 5 months ago

born again immigrant....southern conservatives talk like you just did....I grew up amongst them.....why make fun of smart when one sounds like a raging simpleton.... false like a true conservative hit on the people who can't defend themselves..... my father waited on a liver transplant from November 2004 to May 2009... he was on disability for that time after 37 years of ministry where he was taxed at 31% as self employed. His taxes paid for his disability. My brother had a horrific car accident in 1993 that nearly killed him. He was left permanently blind in one eye and deaf in one ear with no short term memory from a closed head injury. He was hospitalized for three months and was on disability until the doctors cleared him eight months later. He's now a father and a successful worker who is now overcoming leukemia. Please refrain from sounding like heartless simpletons when looking for strawmen to attack in a classic Bill O Reilly manner.