Letters to the Editor

Equality issue

January 24, 2012

To the editor:

Gov. Sam Brownback recently released a list of 51 “out of date, unreasonable, and burdensome” laws to be repealed. Missing from that list is the law banning same-sex relationships.

The same law in Texas was declared unconstitutional and overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court in 2003. Apparently, Supreme Court decisions as to what is unreasonable, burdensome (and unconstitutional) have little or no influence on Brownback’s selections, unless they match his personal religious/political/ideological perspectives.

Even though the U.S. Supreme Court has made clear that being gay or lesbian is not a crime, the Brownback administration’s announcement indicates that, in their eyes, our family members and friends who happen to be lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender deserve to remain marginalized and denied full equal rights!

As parents of a gay person and as members of the local PFLAG Chapter we are appalled and disappointed. We will continue to love, support and accept our family members and friends who happen to be LGBT. Further, we will continue to work for their equal rights in spite of the callous disregard shown by Brownback and his staff.

Comments

poolside 2 years, 6 months ago

I have a friend who found true identity through Christ. And that said more to me on how we should view" the LBGT community" than any other event. Gov. Brownback needs to open his heart since he seems unable to open his mind.

Liberty275 2 years, 6 months ago

Delete the anti-homosexual law and 90% of the rest. Then rewrite and reorganize every remaining law so that a person with a solid high school education can read and understand them.

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 6 months ago

Re-write them so a hs grad could understand them? Good luck with that- most of our society doesn't function at a high school graduate level. Most newspapers for instance are written at a 3rd-4th grade reading level. If the United States Constitution read like the LJWorld, we'd be in some trouble.

Abdu Omar 2 years, 6 months ago

There really is a very subtle difference, in my opinion, to all of this gay-marriage rhetoric. First, I firmly believe that any act of homosexual sex is an abomination as described in the Bible, both old and new testament, and the Quran. I also believe that because it is so described there that it can't be a condition/trait of a human being passed though geneology. I believe it is learned and chosen. If I vote for, speak on behalf of, or keep quiet about this issue, I am violating my personal beliefs and going against my own religion. This I cannot and will not do. Period. On the other hand, I don't care what two or more consenting adults do in their private space nor do I want them to lobby me, ask me to join, or force me to agree with them. I don't want to see them in parades or pushing others to agree with them. this is a personal issue and should be kept that way. If they want to have homosexual attachments and love each other, go for it, but keep me and my fellow Americans out of it. This is not the norm and I will not be part of making it so.

jaywalker 2 years, 6 months ago

" I also believe that because it is so described there that it can't be a condition/trait of a human being passed though geneology."

Right. Because the apostles were experts.
The Bible is an excellent resource for how to treat your fellow man. To take it literally is intellectually void, at the least.

" I believe it is learned and chosen."

Excellent. Then please enlighten us as to the time and place when you "chose" to be heterosexual? Stands to reason if homosexuals had to choose then you must have had that same epiphany one day, right? "I think I'll be straight." Is that what you said to yourself?

This kind of mentality and ignorance is unbelievably, irretrievably sad.

Abdu Omar 2 years, 6 months ago

Being "straight" is the norm. When did you develop a hunger for food? This is normal.

I know a guy who had twin daughters. When they went to college in separate towns, both of them became enamored with the lesbian life style. One had a lover until the day she met her husband, she threw out the lover and married. If she was "born" to be lesbian, why did she throw out her lover?

The other one married a woman and were living happily in Southern CA. They had a nice house, nice life, both very wel educated. Then one day at a business meeeting, the other twin met a guy. They were immediately attracted to each other. She sued for divorce and married the guy, they are now pregnant, which is totally a great joy for her.

With this knowledge, can you tell me that being homosexual is an act of birth? No, I don't believe it.

jaywalker 2 years, 6 months ago

"Being "straight" is the norm"

Only if you're straight.

Thanks for that lovely story. Perhaps you're unfamiliar with the term 'bi-sexual.'

And why are you avoiding the simple question of when you chose? Was it a struggle? Could it have gone either way?

Darrell Lea 2 years, 6 months ago

Dear wounded_soldier - Believing something does not make it so. Even "firmly" believing something will not necessarily make the non-factual fact.

Anyway, this is not about you, your fellow Americans or your belief systems, whatever they may be. It's about an antiquated, unenforcible, and unconstitutional law that should be repealed. It has nothing to do with you. Mind your own business.

Abdu Omar 2 years, 6 months ago

That is exactly my point, "it has nothing to do with me".

Abdu Omar 2 years, 6 months ago

That is exactly my point, "it has nothing to do with me".

Darrell Lea 2 years, 6 months ago

It has nothing to do with you, yet you say "If I vote for, speak on behalf of, or keep quiet about this issue, I am violating my personal beliefs and going against my own religion. This I cannot and will not do. Period."

Belief and action are two separate things. You may not believe in many aspects of another's lifestyle. They may not believe in yours as well. Who is to say what is right or wrong?

"Judge not, lest ye be judged" "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Have a nice day.

Bob Forer 2 years, 6 months ago

Soldier, do you really think a person would choose a sexual preference that subjects them to public scorn, discrimination, personal attacks, death threats, and in some extreme cases, death

When did you become a biologist.

voevoda 2 years, 6 months ago

You are entitled to your opinion, wounded_soldier, but then you'll need to accept the kind of responses people make when you publicize it.
If you don't want to see gays, wounded_soldier, I suggest you go someplace else whenever you happen to see them. A majority of your fellow Americans don't have any problem sharing our public space with people who are gay. Why do you expect them to hide themselves because you have a problem with homosexuality? In some countries, men demand that women veil themselves in public because the men are uncomfortable with the emotions that normally-dressed women invoke. We in the US think that's unreasonable, even outrageous. It's similarly unreasonable and outrageous for you to demand that gays hide themselves from your sight.

jafs 2 years, 6 months ago

Don't go to their parades.

If I don't want to see a parade, I don't go to it.

Plurilingual 2 years, 6 months ago

This isn't about gay marriage. This is about the legal status of homosexual relations between two consenting adults. As you said, you "don't care what two or more consenting adults do in their private space". Therefore, I suppose you would support the repeal of this law that Brownback has refused to consider?

jaywalker 2 years, 6 months ago

"Even though the U.S. Supreme Court has made clear that being gay or lesbian is not a crime,"

Mr. and Mrs. Swall,

Though I stand with you in striving for equal rights for the homosexual community, I believe you're mixing issues here. The fact being gay or lesbian is not a crime has little to do with the "lawfulness" of same-sex marriages. I'm all for same-sex marriages, too, but the reasons that's not being legalized are more complex than simply the lawfulness of being gay.

Keep fighting the good fight.

Plurilingual 2 years, 6 months ago

I see no mention of marriage in their letter, so I think it s you who have conflated the issues. This letter is about the law that forbids sexual relations between two consenting adults of the same sex, and Brownback's refusal to consider it for repeal.

jaywalker 2 years, 6 months ago

You're absolutely right, Pluri! I re-read the letter and have no idea how I swapped "relationships" for marriages. Completely my fault.
What's worse, now I'm even more upset w/ Brownback's omission. Hate to see Kansas' mentality in lock-step with Iran's on this matter.

jaywalker 2 years, 6 months ago

wounded_soldier (anonymous) replies… "That is exactly my point, it has nothing to do with me".

Sorry, but the disclaimer at the end of your original post doesn't erase the antiquated, close-minded, and bigoted meat of that post.

But maybe you're right; maybe everything in the Bible should be taken literally with no thought or science or common sense utilized as filters. Maybe the Earth is flat, maybe a NAKED Eve tempted Adam with an apple, maybe all 7 billion of our family tree's can be traced back to that couple a little more than two thousand years ago, ........

Probably not, though.