Letters to the Editor

Equality issue

January 24, 2012

To the editor:

Gov. Sam Brownback recently released a list of 51 “out of date, unreasonable, and burdensome” laws to be repealed. Missing from that list is the law banning same-sex relationships.

The same law in Texas was declared unconstitutional and overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court in 2003. Apparently, Supreme Court decisions as to what is unreasonable, burdensome (and unconstitutional) have little or no influence on Brownback’s selections, unless they match his personal religious/political/ideological perspectives.

Even though the U.S. Supreme Court has made clear that being gay or lesbian is not a crime, the Brownback administration’s announcement indicates that, in their eyes, our family members and friends who happen to be lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender deserve to remain marginalized and denied full equal rights!

As parents of a gay person and as members of the local PFLAG Chapter we are appalled and disappointed. We will continue to love, support and accept our family members and friends who happen to be LGBT. Further, we will continue to work for their equal rights in spite of the callous disregard shown by Brownback and his staff.

Comments

jaywalker 2 years, 2 months ago

wounded_soldier (anonymous) replies… "That is exactly my point, it has nothing to do with me".

Sorry, but the disclaimer at the end of your original post doesn't erase the antiquated, close-minded, and bigoted meat of that post.

But maybe you're right; maybe everything in the Bible should be taken literally with no thought or science or common sense utilized as filters. Maybe the Earth is flat, maybe a NAKED Eve tempted Adam with an apple, maybe all 7 billion of our family tree's can be traced back to that couple a little more than two thousand years ago, ........

Probably not, though.

jaywalker 2 years, 2 months ago

"Even though the U.S. Supreme Court has made clear that being gay or lesbian is not a crime,"

Mr. and Mrs. Swall,

Though I stand with you in striving for equal rights for the homosexual community, I believe you're mixing issues here. The fact being gay or lesbian is not a crime has little to do with the "lawfulness" of same-sex marriages. I'm all for same-sex marriages, too, but the reasons that's not being legalized are more complex than simply the lawfulness of being gay.

Keep fighting the good fight.

Abdu Omar 2 years, 2 months ago

There really is a very subtle difference, in my opinion, to all of this gay-marriage rhetoric. First, I firmly believe that any act of homosexual sex is an abomination as described in the Bible, both old and new testament, and the Quran. I also believe that because it is so described there that it can't be a condition/trait of a human being passed though geneology. I believe it is learned and chosen. If I vote for, speak on behalf of, or keep quiet about this issue, I am violating my personal beliefs and going against my own religion. This I cannot and will not do. Period. On the other hand, I don't care what two or more consenting adults do in their private space nor do I want them to lobby me, ask me to join, or force me to agree with them. I don't want to see them in parades or pushing others to agree with them. this is a personal issue and should be kept that way. If they want to have homosexual attachments and love each other, go for it, but keep me and my fellow Americans out of it. This is not the norm and I will not be part of making it so.

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 2 months ago

Re-write them so a hs grad could understand them? Good luck with that- most of our society doesn't function at a high school graduate level. Most newspapers for instance are written at a 3rd-4th grade reading level. If the United States Constitution read like the LJWorld, we'd be in some trouble.

Liberty275 2 years, 2 months ago

Delete the anti-homosexual law and 90% of the rest. Then rewrite and reorganize every remaining law so that a person with a solid high school education can read and understand them.

poolside 2 years, 3 months ago

I have a friend who found true identity through Christ. And that said more to me on how we should view" the LBGT community" than any other event. Gov. Brownback needs to open his heart since he seems unable to open his mind.