Letters to the Editor

Ironing out the irony

January 21, 2012

To the editor:

It was not a “party.” Vietnam was a nightmare, one the soldiers of Vietnam have never stopped living. I have been called to task by several Vietnam vets for my attempted use of irony in the letter published in Friday’s Journal-World. I have apologized to them, and I apologize to anyone who was misled by my use of the word “party.” The soldiers in the photo will be living a similar nightmare for the remainder of their lives. When we send men off to fight our wars we should not be quick to judge them harshly.

Comments

beatrice 2 years, 3 months ago

Its my party / and I'll kill Charlie if I want to

Nice to see all agreeing for once. No harm, no foul. Play ball.

grahambailey 2 years, 3 months ago

Agree with all responses. I don't always agree with William but greatly respect that he offers his views and signs his name after them. That's why I comment under my name, if I'm willing to say something, I should be willing to sign it.

BornAgainAmerican 2 years, 3 months ago

Bill...no apology is necessary for my part. Your letter was not offensive to me. To quote a line from a classic movie, "I guess we all died a little in that damn war".

George Lippencott 2 years, 3 months ago

Twas not offended at all - understood your meaning.. Thanks for your letters

Ken Lassman 2 years, 3 months ago

Hey, Bill, Thanks for recognizing that even tho it didn't even rise to the point of recognition for most of us, there are vets out there who paid a high price out there and had their skin thinned by the experience through no choice of his or her own. I have friends who can't stand the 4th of July for precisely this reason, and it's a gut response that they can't control. Thanks for recognizing that.

its_just_math 2 years, 3 months ago

I took note of that use of the phrase "missed the"party" too, but not enough to let any political correctyishness make me freak out. I am not a real politically correct kinda guy. Don't sweat it Bill.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 3 months ago

"When we send men off to fight our wars we should not be quick to judge them harshly."

Especially when they were drafted, and had no choice of whether they wanted to go or not.

Benjamin Roberts 2 years, 3 months ago

Seriously? Your original LTE (http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2012/jan...), which praised and defended our vets and servicemen, offended some? Because of a colloquialism? People are getting too thin-skinned. It is a saying, for crying out loud, not a statement about the event. In fact, you used it as a statement about yourself - not the event.

Nice of you to apologize, Bill. However, anyone who took insult was just looking for a reason to be offended; and, the apology will not matter.