Letters to the Editor

Hunting benefit

January 4, 2012

I am writing this letter to encourage the “city farmers” who own property in the county to allow the hunters to hunt deer and turkeys on their farms. Do you realize the amount of damage the wildlife does to the crops on your farms and also the many dollars of damage through accidents the deer cause on the roads?  If you don’t allow the hunters the opportunity to control the wildlife there will be an overproduction and it will become more detrimental. Please open up your farms.

Comments

cato_the_elder 2 years, 10 months ago

Amen, and many times over. This letter is spot-on. Deer and turkeys cause enormous amounts of losses to crops every year, and the highway hazards presented by the overpopulation of deer are known to all.

Gentlemen farmers, please allow responsible hunters to do their job. It will benefit you financially.

beatrice 2 years, 10 months ago

Trannyfarmers? Aren't those the toy cars that turn into robots? I think they made a couple movies about them, too.

imastinker 2 years, 10 months ago

Doris,

This is spot on and I agree with you. While you're writing letters, please write to our legislators about the cost of a hunting permit and deer tags. I love hunting but the cost of these items just isn't worth it. It's nearly $200 before you get your first deer.

TongiJayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm all for cheaper fees, but it's not $200 unless your from out of state and it's even cheaper is you are a landowner. Resident Deer Tag: $32.50 (Landowner Deer Tag: $17.50) Resident Hunting: $20.50

somedude20 2 years, 10 months ago

I was gettin my hunt on at Dempseys the other night. Cost $7.99 for my catch and was able to get a drinking license for $3 a pint. They clean the kill and then throw it on the grill all for a few dollars.

If the "hunters" get what they want, I hope they are a good shot, as I am sure the farmers do not want to be hit with their stray bullets

beatrice 2 years, 10 months ago

I've never seen any turkeys, but okay. I'll open the ant farm for hunting this year.

verity 2 years, 10 months ago

"I am sure the farmers do not want to be hit with their stray bullets" Right on, Somedude.

I'm sure all of you who hunt are polite and law abiding, but, even if you have blanket permission to hunt on somebody's property, always check in with them and let them know you are there. My family once spent three days rounding up newly shipped-in cattle which were spooked by hunter's gunshots and broke through a barbed wire fence---even a good fence won't hold a bunch of stampeding cattle. Not to speak of the hunters who cut through people's fences so they could drive through.

If you go and talk personally to people who don't allow hunting on their property, you might be surprised at the result if they realize you are a responsible hunter.

HW 2 years, 10 months ago

Stinker,

Just curious where you came up with $200 dollars? I just looked at my permit and deer tag and it is nowhere near $200. $20.50 for a hunting permit, and 32.50 for the first deer tag. Total of $53.00. I think it is $13.00 for each game tag after that. So, I have $53.00 for one deer or an average of $32.50 for two.

tolawdjk 2 years, 10 months ago

With my lifetime license it cost me about 57.00 for my first whitetail only and second whitetail doe only, and that was with the internet convience fee added on!

It hasn't cost $200 in years.

I also want to profusely thank my folks for the lifetime hunting license they bought for me on my 14th birthday. Parents and grandparents out there, it is something to definately think about as a gift.

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 10 months ago

That's same numbers I come up with for Kansas resident deer tags, Need to have longer regular deer season and also start it about 2 weeks earlier, when the bucks are more active

xclusive85 2 years, 10 months ago

actually, hunters need to take more does and not just trophy hunt. Normally, a doe is really taking two or three deer because they are normally just pregnant durning deer season.