Archive for Sunday, February 26, 2012

Tiger coach laments War’s end

February 26, 2012

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 87-86 overtime victory over Missouri on Feb. 25, 2012.

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU players Tyshawn Taylor, Thomas Robinson and Conner Teahan

KU players Tyshawn Taylor, Thomas Robinson and Conner Teahan talk about the Jayhawks' 87-86 overtime victory over Missouri on Feb. 25, 2012.

KU vs. Missouri

Box score

Missouri coach Frank Haith made it clear once again after Kansas University’s 87-86 victory over MU on Saturday: He isn’t convinced the KU-MU Border War rivalry should end after this season.

“If you saw the atmosphere out here today and the atmosphere at our place, it’d be sad if we don’t play,” Haith said. “I just don’t understand it, and hopefully we can get to it and continue to play. This is too good of a game and too good of a rivalry to not play.”

The contest had many similarities to the teams’ first game on Feb. 4, with the roles reversed this time.

This time, Missouri was the road team that wasn’t getting the benefit of a home whistle. That included the final seconds of regulation when a potential game-winning layup by Phil Pressey was blocked by KU’s Thomas Robinson.

“It was a lot of contact,” Haith said. “Hey, some of the bounces don’t go your way.”

MU guard Marcus Denmon said he thought Pressey might have been bumped going into the lane.

“We are on the road, so we knew we probably wouldn’t get a call,” Denmon said. “We were just trying to get a good look at the basket.”

Haith had a few words with the officials about the no-call before overtime began.

“I was just hopeful that we could get the same contact calls on both ends,” Haith said. “If there’s going to be no-call, then there should be no-call on the other end. That’s the only thing I had a conversation with the officials about.”

Haith’s main beef appeared to be a whistle a few seconds earlier. With KU trailing, 75-72, Robinson put in a layup while drawing a foul on MU guard Michael Dixon.

Robinson completed the three-point play to tie it with 16 seconds left.

“I want to see what happened on that foul,” Haith said, before pointing at a media member and winking, indicating he wanted to say more but couldn’t.

MU led, 67-53, with 10:40 left in the second half before being held without a field goal for six minutes, 50 seconds.

During that time, KU went on a 13-2 run to close the deficit to 69-66.

“We had the game in our hands, just like they apparently had the game in their hands in Columbia,” MU senior guard Kim English said. “We had the game in our hands. We gave them a gift.”

KU’s victory secured at least a share of its eighth straight Big 12 regular-season championship under coach Bill Self.

“Bill’s done a helluva job, boy, because that’s hard to do,” Haith said. “What’s he’s done is pretty amazing, and I have a lot of respect for what he’s done here, no question about it.”

Comments

noot 2 years, 10 months ago

There is one easy way to keep the rivalry going - Missouri can call the SEC and say we have changed our mind, nothing can be better for us than keeping a great rivalry. It's not like Missouri isn't used to going back on commitments, they did it to the Big XII.

News_to_me 2 years, 10 months ago

Anyone not from here would never be able to understand the "hatred" that exists. It goes way back and we hate to lose to them in anything. It's almost like playing the Russians in the Olympics, only bigger. Personally, I don't hate the people (I have friends in Missouri) I hate the state and it's legacy. "Good basketball game?" That was a great basketball game, my friend. And nobody died, as in past conflicts.

Jayhawk1958 2 years, 10 months ago

The rivarly ends but the classlessness of Misery continues.

jjinks 2 years, 10 months ago

The end was of their own choosing. What are they going to do now that the only two games that any over there cared about are gone. The coach seems to be the only one smart enough to realize this fact, he's a good find, they will not hold on to him long. Playing to an empty house will not last long.

Blessed70 2 years, 10 months ago

Haith should look at the bad call he made and he has done it in other games as well. When Mizzou gets a good lead he has them take their foot off the gas pedal. I know that is the classical coaching move but his guys are rhythm players and when he changes the flow of the game they lose the advantage of their style of play. Kansas improved defensively because Missouri started playing the style that Kansas could defend very well.

Brett Fuller 2 years, 10 months ago

If administrators at MU were as passionate about playing KU as Haith instead of being so greedy they would be able to play KU twice a year. This should never be about KU and always be about MU being greedy and selfish for leaving.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 10 months ago

When your offense is geared around jump shots, fatigue becomes your greatest enemy, and in this game, it appeared that KU's conditioning was better than MU's-- playing in Allen Fieldhouse often has that effect. In the closing 10 minutes of the game, KU's defensive intensity went up at the same time that MU's legs got tired, so jump shots went off line and pick-and-rolls slowed down. Those are 80% of MU's offense.

Gregory Newman 2 years, 10 months ago

he stuck his elbow in T-Robs back while easing his way up under him as an undercut. If I was refereeing that game it would have been a Tech. That was dirty thats play ground ghetto ball that folks do when jealous of folks that has hops

jayhawklawrence 2 years, 10 months ago

I just think the gene pool around Columbia is contaminated with something. That is the only logical explanation I can come up with.

Don't let your kids date anyone from that area.

They can recruit good players every once in awhile but I doubt any of them want to stick around after they graduate.

It is what it is.

grahambailey 2 years, 10 months ago

I tell my Missouri acquaintances the same thing I tell my K-State friends, "You have a nice university, but you're not KU, you never will be."