City commissioners will have a study session with the Solid Waste Task Force to discuss the task force’s final report. Commissioners then will accept public comment on the report at their 6:35 p.m. meeting.
The report makes several recommendations, including exploration of a citywide recycling program; mandated use of trash carts to allow the trash collection system to become more automated; and overall improvement in the city’s recycling rate. City commissioners during the coming weeks are expected to discuss how much it may cost to change the system and address concerns that have been raised about requiring residents to use city-owned trash carts instead of bags or cans.
4:30 p.m. study session:
• Study session with the city’s Solid Waste Task Force.
6:35 p.m. regular meeting:
• Approve commission meeting minutes from Feb. 7.
• Receive minutes from boards and commissions.
• Approve claims.
• Approve licenses recommended by the city clerk’s office.
• Approve appointments recommended by the mayor.
• Bid and purchase items:
a. Waive bidding requirements and authorize the purchase of two 1-ton extended cargo vans for the Parks and Recreation Department to Laird Noller Automotive for $27,115 each.
b. Award the base bid for 2012 microsurfacing to Vance Brothers for $1,373,709.03.
c. Award bid for Delaware Street, Eighth Street to Ninth Street, for street, storm sewer and waterline improvements to King Construction Company Inc. for $809,061.40.
• Approve these regarding the use of synthetic turf:
a. Text amendments and an ordinance on first reading pertaining to use of synthetic turf as a landscaping material in the land development code.
b. An ordinance on first reading regulating use of synthetic turf for all properties in the city, including requiring city commission approval of synthetic turf installations.
• Adopt an ordinance on first reading that enacts scrap metal dealer registration requirements mandated by the state.
• Authorize the city manager to execute an agreement between the city and Kansas University to allow installation of a communications duct and cables in the 11th Street right-of-way between Memorial Stadium and GSP residence hall.
• Approve a temporary use permit for the St. John Mexican Fiesta, allowing the closure of Vermont Street from South Park Street to 12th Street on June 22-23; and adopt an ordinance on first reading that allows possession and consumption of alcohol on Vermont Street as part of the event.
• Receive request for additional funding from the Lawrence Community Shelter; refer to staff for review.
• Receive the 2011 System Development Charge report.
• Authorize the mayor to sign a release of mortgage for Joseph Stafford, 1342 Conn.
• Receive 2011 annual report of revenues and expenses related to the regulation of building activity.
• Receive city manager’s report.
• Receive Solid Waste Task Force report.
• Receive city auditor’s performance audit on the Rental Housing Licensing Program.