City commissioners will receive the annual report detailing Taser usage by the Lawrence Police Department.
In 2011, the department used Taser devices on seven individuals. The report details that a Taser was used in situations where the suspect either had a weapon — everything from a gun to a sharp lathe tool were cited as weapons that were displayed while officers tried to make an arrest — or the suspect became violent, either hitting or kicking officers before the Taser was deployed. The report found that usage of the Tasers fell within department guidelines.
- Proclaim Feb. 21- April 22 as Helping Citizens of Lawrence Fulfill the American Dream of Home Ownership.
• Approve all claims.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the City Clerk’s Office.
• Approve appointments as recommended by the Mayor.
• Bid and purchase items:
A.) Approve sale of surplus equipment on Gov Deals.
B.) Waive bidding requirements and authorize payment to JCI in the amount of $26,388 for repairs at Pump Station 5.
C.) Authorize purchase of electrical equipment for ball diamond lights at the Youth Sports Complex from Western Extralite Co. for $31,546. The city is utilizing the State of Kansas Cooperative Purchasing Agreement for this purchase.
D.) Award bid for storm sewer pipe, precast curb inlets and junction boxes for Project No. PW1126, Delaware Street, Eighth to Ninth Streets, Storm Sewer, & Waterline Improvements to Cretex Concrete Products Midwest in the amount of $99,625, provided the fabricator can meet the terms established in the contract documents.
• Adopt on second and final reading, the following ordinances:
A.) Ordinance No. 8704, to rezone (Z-11-26-11) approximately one-fifth acre from IG (General Industrial) to IL (Limited Industrial), located at 920 and 920 ½ Del.
B.) Ordinance No. 8705, to rezone (Z-11-28-11) approximately 41.15 acres from RS10 (Single-Dwelling Residential) to RM12 (Multi-Dwelling Residential), located at 1900 W. 31st St.
C.) Ordinance No. 8706, for Special Use Permit (SUP-11-5-11) for Aspen Heights for the development of multiple detached dwelling structures on a single lot in an RM District as required by Section 20-402 of the Land Development Code.
• Adopt Resolution No. 6963, authorizing the Mayor and City Clerk to execute a Deed, Bill of Sale, and Termination of Lease Agreement, and to take all other actions necessary to transfer to DST Realty, terminate all interest of the city in the project and carry out the intent of the resolution, all pursuant to retired industrial revenue bonds for the property at 2000 Bluffs Drive.
• Authorize Staff to negotiate an Engineering Services Agreement with Professional Engineering Consultants for Design and Construction Phase Engineering Services for project UT1105DS, 2012-2013 Watermain Relocation/Rehabilitation Program.
• Authorize the City Manager to execute a Professional Services Agreement with Viable Third Community, LLC, which would provide for public participation services for the update of the Metropolitan Transportation Plan at a total cost of no more than $20,000. The costs related to this contract will be paid by federal funding, at no cost to the City.
• Receive 2011 report on Police Department TASER use.
• Authorize the Mayor to sign revised Subordination Agreements for Russell and Carol Beeson, 507 La.
• Receive city manager’s report.
• Conduct a public hearing regarding the issuance of sidewalk dining licenses for 3 Spoons Yogurt, 715, 8th St. Taproom, Aladdin Café, Buffalo Wild Wings, Einstein Bros. Bagels, Jackpot Music Hall, Jefferson’s Restaurant, Signs of Life and The Bourgeois Pig.
• Consider approving Site Plan, SP-2-13-12, a request by Briggs Automotive to use the right-of-way of West 29th Terrace and a portion of the Iowa Street Frontage Road for the commercial display of automobiles including the display of signs and a wind turbine.
• Consider waiver request by Grob Engineering Services LLC from City Code section 19-214(c) with respect to Site Plan SP-12-82-11, 720 E. 23rd St. Raco Carwash.