To the editor:
Journal-World front page news (Feb. 8) is all too familiar in our city. “City allows fake grass at apartments.” This decision is one of thousands that reflect what is wrong with our country: misguided decisions crafted by politicians that protect the elite 1 percent at the expense of the other 99 percent.
In a 4-1 vote, city commissioners rewarded an elite for violating a city code. The only thing that was grandfathered was a continuation of cronyism over democracy. City staff and a majority of the electorate did not and do not support this decision.
Four commissioners chose to protect an elite rather than represent the majority opinion of the electorate. They know it, we know it, and they know that we know it. An elected official is obligated to make decisions that are in the best interest of the majority of the electorate. Invertebrates posing as vertebrates have no role to play in a democracy.
The one bright spot in City Hall’s recent decision is Commissioner Bob Schumm. He had the fortitude to represent the majority opinion of the electorate rather than embracing cronyism. For that he deserves a thank you. The four invertebrates posing as vertebrates should be remembered at the next city election. I say it is time to send them home to their day jobs. What say you?