Letters to the Editor

Pummeling KU

February 10, 2012

To the editor:

I am now convinced that Dolph Simons Jr. stays up nights, scouring any data source, looking for some way to criticize Kansas University and the chancellor. Now he doesn’t like the chancellor’s State of the University 2012 video. If it isn’t one thing, it is another. Picky, picky. I suspect the video will turn out to be a home run.

It is as if KU and Gray-Little can do no good, and I am frankly getting tired of what feels like his arrogant, know-it-all attitude. KU is not perfect, but it does not deserve near weekly pummeling in the J-W. You can always find an anonymous (a favorite Simons’ tactic) someone whose nose is bent out of shape, which is why I find Simons’ assessment of faculty/staff morale less than credible.

I prefer Gene Budig’s comments in the same J-W issue of Feb. 4: “Some of the nation’s greatest schools, such as Ohio State and Kansas University, pride themselves in accepting students from a wide range of backgrounds. …They provide a superb education, and their reputations are second to none” — except in the editor’s office.

Comments

cato_the_elder 2 years, 6 months ago

With "professors" like this letter writer on the faculty, it's no wonder that KU's reputation throughout the state has declined over the last two decades.

It's not by happenstance that one now sees an abundance of Power Cat license plates on cars all over Kansas City.

It's not Dolph Simons who's arrogant, folks.

Getaroom 2 years, 6 months ago

True folks, it's not all Dolph in the act of arrogance, it's cato too.

cato_the_elder 2 years, 6 months ago

If you mistake reality for arrogance, that's your problem.

Keith 2 years, 6 months ago

And mistaking arrogance for reality is yours.

cato_the_elder 2 years, 6 months ago

Not so. KU's standing within the State of Kansas has gradually deteriorated over the last two decades, as is demonstrated by, among other things, K-State's dramatic rise during that same time.

You may not care how KU is viewed within the state, but if you are at all concerned about state funding for KU then it's time you and your other pals on this forum removed your blinders.

thebigspoon 2 years, 6 months ago

OK, I'm willing to listen to--or read--your proof of that statement. Those are pretty sweepiong statements, and I'd like to see the stats. Will be holding my breath, in fact. Just ask for Mr. Blue.

thebigspoon 2 years, 6 months ago

OK, I'm willing to listen to--or read--your proof of those statements. Those are pretty sweepiong accusations, and I'd like to see the stats. Will be holding my breath, in fact. Just ask for Mr. Blue.

cato_the_elder 2 years, 6 months ago

As in "Mr. Blue" by the Fleetwoods?

appleaday 2 years, 6 months ago

What about KU's standing in the rest of the US? The words "Kansas" and "education" are sort of incongruent. I agree with Dr. Dailey. Dolph Simons usually seems put out that he hasn't been asked to make decisions at KU.