Letters to the Editor

Gun sense

February 7, 2012

To the editor:

I read, with dismay, the Feb. 1 article in the Journal-World that there is a move in the Kansas Legislature to allow concealed weapons on college campuses. I’ve always been wary of the concealed carry law, but to expand it to college campuses seems a bit extreme to me. What’s next? Nursery schools? Day care?

I remember when concealed carry was passed, but I was totally in the dark until I read this article that it allowed people with vision disorders and physical disabilities to also carry a gun. A few years ago, I had major corrective ocular surgery. I think of myself before that and there was little chance that I could have used a concealed weapon effectively. At the least, I would have needed scattered birdshot, at best, a cluster bomb to ward off an assailant. I think the same limits would apply to anyone afflicted with Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis or any other physical disability that restricts bodily movement and quick response to a dangerous situation. I question this section of the law, and the law itself, which does not consider the time of reaction for a disabled person to ward off an attacker and may bring greater danger to the disabled person.

When I moved to Kansas 22 years ago, I knew its residents to be straightforward, hard working, and with a broad streak of common sense. Now, it seems many have been duped and shoved aside by wild-eyed ultraconservatives, and pseudo Christians whose actions seem orchestrated by the Mad Hatter.

Comments

Flap Doodle 2 years, 2 months ago

I'll go for a stroll on the plastic grass whilst toting my combat Tupperware.

ochocinco 2 years, 2 months ago

I have no idea why we argue so much about this issue. As a peace branch to liberal readers, here is some advice...

Since Kansas is such a conservative state, run of course by eeeevil white men with theocratic intentions, I suggest all tolerant, open-minded socialists leave while they have the chance. With Brownback threatening to take away the rights of women I'm told, liberal women should certainly move to Colorado or Missourah or somewhere safe.

With concealed carry laws being amended, obviously derranged gun nuts will begin shooting up day cares and nurseries. After all, it was the worry of being caught with a gun without a license that prevented them from doing it in the first place. In light of these new facts, it might be safer for the bougeous Bolcheviks in our midst to move somewhere even further, like Berkeley or Vermont.

Get out while you can!!! No, really. Please leave.

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years, 2 months ago

My money is on Ba'al economics.

For some people, the end of the world as we know it is upon us, and there is no better time than now to start preparing.

Such is the concept of National Geographic Channel's new reality show Doomsday Preppers, which profiles Americans who have taken extreme measures to plan for a forthcoming apocalypse — whether natural disaster, nuclear war or economic crisis.

(from a source)

Flap Doodle 2 years, 2 months ago

What seems like mass hysteria to some are reasonable precautions to others. (from a source) (BTW, is there a website with a snarky phrase generator that all you disappointed progressives use?)

Getaroom 2 years, 2 months ago

Pssst! Snappy no crackie pass this along, the mass hysteria for CC is amassing on the border nonreality. Boo! Obama is going to take your guns and ammo away..... right..... now!.
News falsh! Sorry, it didn't happen and all that paranoia for nutin'. The Supreme Koch of Brownbackwardistan however is alive and well and looking to stick it to you from all angles. Beware, sound bite man, they are comin' to get ya!! Boo!

Lynn731 2 years, 2 months ago

There is nothing in the Constitution about sick people being armed. In fact, there is nothing about government requiring a permit to be armed. All elected persons take an oath to support and defend the constitution The ones that fail to follow the oath they have taken, should be removed from office. Enough said

Flap Doodle 2 years, 2 months ago

Psst, snakey, an 18-year old can't get a concealed carry permit in Kansas.

SnakeFist 2 years, 2 months ago

I teach on a college campus. The last thing you want is some stoned/drunk and/or depressed eighteen year old kid carrying a gun to class. Its tragic enough when it happens illegally, there's no reason to make it legal.

defenestrator 2 years, 2 months ago

You don't need a permit to carry a gun--only if you want to conceal it.

Liberty275 2 years, 2 months ago

We took a trip to Bass Pro Shops last night and now I've got to have that Bushmaster AR15. It's a little hard to conceal though.

jayhawklawrence 2 years, 2 months ago

The scary gun issue seems similar to the scary gays issue. The Democrats don't have as many ways to scare people as the Republicans so they grab on to this one and exaggerate the hell out of it.

Sounds like Jack fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Too bad we can't filter out the nonsense in politics and get to solving some real problems.

Cai 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm still trying to figure out: a) how a college campus compares to a nursery school any more than say.... the downtown next to the college

b) how my daughter could, as a 4 year old nursery school student, get her hands on a CC permit.

c) why Jack thinks that the parents of nursery school children don't already have guns when they pick up their kids. K-12 has rules against guns in the building ... but nursery schools often don't.

its_just_math 2 years, 2 months ago

Love how the unhinged far-left and the corrupt lamestream media jump to conclusions about a nutcase like Jared Loughner----knee-jerking that he was a right-wing nut or motivated by right-wing propaganda, but when the Ft. Hood (Hasan?) shooter yelled "Allah akbar" and started blowing people away, the corrupt liberal mainstream media was rather silent by contrast at least initially, instead sitting scratching their collective heads as how to report on the massacre in a sensitive and responsible manner. Joke.

drake 2 years, 2 months ago

Those wild-eyed ultra conservatives are the straightforward, hard working ones with a broad streak of common sense. The know-it-all elitist snobs on your side? Notsomuch

rtwngr 2 years, 2 months ago

Hey, Jack, it is a statistical fact that violent crime rates are less in states that have CC laws.

rtwngr 2 years, 2 months ago

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 2 months ago

Nice article there Jack, me thinks you should have done a little more research to get your facts straight before you write your next letter to editor.

Mike Ford 2 years, 2 months ago

spoken by a lifetime Democrat and Obama supporter and thirty year gun supporter... falsehope.....do you have anything at all smart to say or is it all just baiting comments and bells and whistles.....I fear no one and own hunting weapons and I've never used them in self defence because I'm not as delusional and paranoid as some of the people I refute.

Gotland 2 years, 2 months ago

Issues like this really expose the lefts elitists attitude towards fellow citizens they aspire to rule.

Gotland 2 years, 2 months ago

THe blind with CC is a non issue.

BigAl 2 years, 2 months ago

I must admit that I was against concealed carry. But, to my knowledge there hasn't been one instance where there has been a problem with CC. I still am cautious of the government determining who can and who cannot carry a gun but so far..... so good. I personally don't understand folks that feel the need to arm themselves but to each his own. (as long as it doesn't affect me or my family)

501gdm2 2 years, 2 months ago

Well I guess you can move to another state again.

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years, 2 months ago

I didn't realize the people that are "frightened/terrified" of firearms are usually the ones harmed by them. Obama and Holder should stop arming bandits so "fast and furiously". This will help the "fightened/terrified" in New America from being harmed.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 2 months ago

I knew a man that was legally blind that got a driver's license here in Kansas.

He had a small spot of vision, and he was instructed to be constantly scanning back and forth whenever he was driving. He did have a bit of trouble with the traffic lights at some intersections.

Dan Eyler 2 years, 2 months ago

I am in taking the concealed and carry class and I am amazed by the stupidity in these comments. I consider the training good. We spent a great deal of time on the law and the issues that come up for those who decide to license themselves. It carries a great deal of responsibility. I have hunted since I was a boy here in Kansas but the responsibilities associated with concealed and carry are far different. I encourage all Kansans to take the class whether or not you plan to get the permit. Find out for yourself. Poor Jack is simply talking out his you know what. His comments compared to reality of concealed and carry demonstrate that he simply wants to deny Kansans the right to protect and defend themselves. I have a good friend who suffers seriously with MS. He has difficulty walking at times, but his mind is good, his vision is plenty good enough to defend himself. He has as much a right as I do to defend himself if necessary. But he also will know when that disease has taken away his ability to fulfill his obligation to safely handle his firearm. Take the class Jack and stop your childish chatter.

its_just_math 2 years, 2 months ago

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Stupid letter, yet I got a good laugh out of it.

"...wild-eyed ultraconservatives, and pseudo Christians whose actions seem orchestrated by the Mad Hatter."

LOL!

Jack, are you the Mad Hatter?

Hey Jack, it's a right, just like a womens's right to abort a baby. Only gun rights were in the original constitution, not conjured up by some activist US court.

tange 2 years, 2 months ago

/ oh, look, a snap sandwich

tange 2 years, 2 months ago

[tangedit]

They'll shoot you when you're walking down the street They'll shoot you when you're trying to keep your seat They'll shoot you when your walking on the floor They'll shoot you when your walking to the door But I would not feel so all alarmed Everybody must get armed

Flap Doodle 2 years, 2 months ago

Same old, "why can't everyone in Kansas drink the Flavor-Aid and join the Brave New World of the Current Regime?"

tange 2 years, 2 months ago

They'll shoot you when you're walking down the street They'll shoot you when you're trying to keep your seat They'll shoot you when your walking on the floor They'll shoot you when your walking to the door But I would not feel so all alone Everybody must get armed

jaywalker 2 years, 2 months ago

"What’s next? Nursery schools? Day care?"

How to lose credibility in four sentences or less.

jhawk_36 2 years, 2 months ago

I have been blind in one eye for 30 years and i still hunt and carry a pistol and rifle and so dont let what the goverment put in the C.C law make you wander as it has been said you have to pass back ground checks and tests. In '94 i lived in So. Dakota and thier C.C was obtainable by simply appliing payin $15 or 20 fee and they did a check to make sure you were a resident and you were legal to carry a gun and they sent you 1 with it it allowed to buy any gun and take it home the same day no waiting time, kansas it behind times. It has always been that you can carry,wear, or have a gun on your self in public as long as its not concelled Ide rather have it in the open than concelled but the anti gun nuts these days would have a cow and get stupid it everyone that has a C.C and has there gun with them would carry it in the open for a week this i would love to see and hear thier reactions... Heck some people in New York think we still wear a 6 shooter and ride horses every were we go....

Abdu Omar 2 years, 2 months ago

I have not taken the CC course but I understand it is designed to weed out those who cannot perform with proficency. Only the best should be awarded a license to carry.

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

I am amazed at the number of vision impaired applicants who have been rushing to take advantage of this loophole.

<< rolls eyes

Jane 2 years, 2 months ago

The last sentence of this lte couldn't be more succinct.

Benjamin Roberts 2 years, 2 months ago

A third point is also willingly overlooked. (http://ag.ks.gov/docs/documents/concealed-carry-regulations.pdf) (3) require trainees to display firing proficiency by successfully completing the shooting requirement established in K.A.R 16-11-4. (b) To „„successfully complete‟‟ means to obtain a passing score of 100% on an examination approved by the attorney general and to display proficiency with a handgun by shooting at least 18 hits out of 25 rounds on a designated portion of a target approved by either the Kansas commission on peace officers‟ standards and training or an equivalent body as determined by the attorney general.

The law provides equal ACCESS to concealed carry permits; it does not discriminate based upon a physical disability. The disability, not the law, prevents the applicant from passing the course.

Mike Gerhardt 2 years, 2 months ago

Gandalf, people like Jack are myopic when it comes to this issue.

Gandalf 2 years, 2 months ago

This lte is missing 2 important facts.

1. Being disabled does not automatically remove constitutional rights.

2. In order to CC you have to take and pass a class.