• Lawrence Plastic Surgery employees Patty Rymer, aesthetician, and Cheri Thompson, registered nurse, recently hosted a “Lunch and Learn” program. The event featured a speaker from Allergan, sharing information regarding dermal fillers and Botox. Attendees also observed a live demonstration. The next monthly program is at noon Feb. 13. Contact Lawrence Plastic Surgery for more information, 843-7677.
• The Kansas Association of Defense Counsel has installed Sarah Warner, of Thompson Ramsdell & Qualseth, P.A., in Lawrence, as director for 2012.
• Joan Schultz has been named executive director of Willow Domestic Violence Center. She has been interim director since July when Sarah Terwelp resigned. Schultz has held positions in private, governmental and nonprofit organizations. Most recently, she was director of customer affairs for the Kansas Children’s Service League. Founded as Women’s Transitional Care Services in 1976, The Willow Domestic Violence Center is a nonprofit organization that provides safe shelter, peer counseling, advocacy and other services to survivors of domestic violence in Douglas, Franklin and Jefferson counties. In 2010, it provided shelter for 148 women and 118 children and answered 1,683 crisis calls.
• The Pregnancy Care Center of Lawrence will host an open house and ribbon-cutting ceremony at 2:15 p.m. today at its new facility at 2200 Harvard Road, Suite 102. PCC of Lawrence was founded in 2003 with the help of Topeka’s Caring Pregnancy Options. Then known as Advocate Pregnancy Center, PCC began operations in an office in the Hillcrest Center at Ninth and Iowa streets.
In 2006, local support grew to allow PCC to become independent of the Topeka center, and it began sharing ministry space with the LEO Center at the old Riverfront Mall. The Pregnancy Care Center of Lawrence Inc. is a nonprofit, nondenominational Christian ministry established to help women in the area facing unplanned pregnancies.
• Frank Norman, president and senior ecologist of Norman Ecological Consulting LLC in Lawrence, attended the Kansas Natural Resources Conference Jan. 26-27 in Wichita. Norman presented the talk “Muscotah Marsh, a True Wetland Jewel of Kansas.”