Letters to the Editor

One-term gov

February 1, 2012

To the editor:

Kudos to Judy Grant for her letter to the editor of Jan. 30 titled “Statehouse bully.” It is right on target.

From his decisions to defund the Kansas Arts Commission, close SRS offices and cut funding to our schools, the governor has shown disdain for the poor, disabled and lower-income residents of Kansas. And now comes an effort to eliminate or drastically cut the  Kansas income tax, which will have the ultimate effect of raising local property and sales taxes. The governor ignores the fact that states such as Texas and Florida have alternate methods of funding to offset their lack of income taxes, be it oil, natural gas or tourism.

According to a Journal-World article in the Jan. 28 issue by Scott Rothschild, a nonpartisan Center on Budget and Policy Priorities says the governor’s proposals will create a new giveaway to large businesses at the expense of state services and other taxpayers.

Since there seems to be little interest in recalling Gov. Brownback, it seems the only option we have is to make sure he is a one-term governor. Only then will we be able to begin repairing the damage done.

Comments

geekin_topekan 2 years, 10 months ago

Tothe editor, why do we get 16 sports stories, 3 LTEs, and 8 news?

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 10 months ago

Great question! This is why our country is so screwed up...Only idiots care about games.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 years, 10 months ago

This guy was a lousey senator. Why would any intelligent person think he would make a better governer??

pace 2 years, 10 months ago

Please put your remarks in context. Why would any intelligent person think he would make a better governor than Brownback. Who wouldn't?

pace 2 years, 10 months ago

ANY intelligent and I should add, more honest person would make a better governor. While I am horrified at the efforts by elected government officials, using tax money, to restrict a citizens rights to access a legal medical procedure. I don't put all pro-choice and anti-choice persons into broad categories. Abortion is a serious medical procedure, so serious it should be left to the patient and the doctor, not to the mob or politicized. It is a legal procedure, The laws being passed disguised as regulatory are rotten in their heart and design. I don't like law and tax money used to steal rights, be they access to medical procedures, to vote, to own property, to wed, etc..

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 10 months ago

"When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. " (A source)

Where are we today? Where is the fear?

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 10 months ago

State Rep. Richard Floyd (R) used violent and graphic language to discuss his views on trans-sexual people using dressing rooms that match their gender identity.

“I believe if I was standing at a dressing room and my wife or one of my daughters was in the dressing room and a man tried to go in there — I don’t care if he thinks he’s a woman and tries on clothes with them in there — I’d just try to stomp a mudhole in him and then stomp him dry,” the lawmaker said.

pace 2 years, 10 months ago

If you mean the Occupy movement, yes more people should support and join in. You don't have to do it by tenting in a park. It is more than camping out. There are a lot of ways. The court declaring corporations have the same rights as persons, and not the same responsibilities, that has to change. Occupy addresses a number of issues, Families, homes, jobs, civil rights, medical rights, banksters and financial inequity. I find the unfair tax system, which put Romney at 14% and my family at 30% just wrong. Koch is ruling Kansas, paying for ad campaigns which are just lies. Yes more people should support Occupy. It not like Congress is going to stand up for us. The do nothing bums. I don't like my tax money going to pay for armed repression of peaceful protest. Something needs to wake up Congress to do something. Occupy might encourage the GOP and DEMs to address problems, do something. We have plenty of speeches and ads, we need action. We need jobs and education support. When your main argument is denigration of people trying to do something to improve things. You might consider doing something else Your plans falls flat on fixing squat.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 10 months ago

I don't understand how calling for violence is not a violation of this forum's rules. This comment should be removed and serious consideration be given to banning this individual.

Alex Parker 2 years, 10 months ago

As soon as that comment was flagged, it was removed. Please, if you see a comment that warrants removal, flag it.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 10 months ago

I flagged it, then waited a couple of hours before flagging it again.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 10 months ago

Its okay to say I want to kiss the governor, but I can't say I want to kick the governor... Welcome to amurrikkka!

Alex Parker 2 years, 10 months ago

You said it's "time for some ultra-violence" against legislators. You're right. You can't say that.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 10 months ago

It's your web-site, do what you want. Am I right?

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 10 months ago

Because the First Amendment restricts people from speaking harshly about their government. Am I right?

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 10 months ago

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.

littlexav 2 years, 10 months ago

Federal law prevents you from calling for violence. You can advocate whatever you want as long as you don't incite violence. Jayhawkinsf: "I don't understand how calling for violence is not a violation of this forum's rules."

Sounds like you were calling for violence. So NO, you're not protected by the First Amendment. If you so "cherish" your so-called rights, why don't you look them up so you actually know what they are?

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 10 months ago

I was simply stating my feelings of contempt....twas no worse than what this State Representative said:

pace 2 years, 10 months ago

You seems to think ranting threats of violence is speaking harshly. Speak to the issues not your own fantasy of violence.

Jean Robart 2 years, 10 months ago

I am ashamed to admit i voted for Brownback. I guess that's what happens when you vote for the lesser of two evils.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 10 months ago

I think you're having trouble determining what the lesser of two evils really is. Just because some monkey in a suit says they're christian and against abortion doesn't mean they're not an evil son of a b^7$#. Look at history. What have they done? Now go sit in the corner and think about what you've done.

pace 2 years, 10 months ago

that might be the makings of a new political party in Kansas, called " I am ashamed to admit i voted for Brownback"

forward 2 years, 10 months ago

As far as the recall goes, it's nearly impossible in Kansas. Kansas has some of the toughest recall rules in the nation.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 10 months ago

Overturning democracy by removing duly elected officials should not be easy.

Bob Forer 2 years, 10 months ago

What's so wrong about overturning democracy with more democracy? You do realize that there is a vote taken for recall? I thought that was also called democracy.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 10 months ago

If more democracy is better democracy, then set the term in office at one week. Yes, an election every Tuesday. That ought to solve all our problems. Imagine an election decided by just a couple of percentage points. The loser immediately begins a recall petition. For no particular reason other than more democracy is better.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 10 months ago

Another reason to keep the mentally deficient from voting.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 10 months ago

Where they really duly elected if we let mentally deficient cast votes?

"Children with low intelligence are more likely to grow up to be social conservatives and racists, researchers found in a study published out of the U.K."

Armstrong 2 years, 10 months ago

"Since there seems to be little interest in recalling Gov. Brownback,"

Fact of the matter is Kansas is one of the few states that have a surplus. Fact of the matter is Kansas is one of the few states with low unemployment. Fact of the matter is Kansas is a red state. Fact of the matter is Kansas is business friendly.

Don't like our Gov.? Move to the left coast, you can enjoy high unemployment and a state going bankrupt.

deec 2 years, 10 months ago

Hays is losing their 5th largest employer.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 10 months ago

So sorry, Mr. Arm, but no I will not leave. I plan on fighting to the death to take my beloved Kansas back from the perverts and mentally ill who're presently attempting to run us backwards to the 19th century. Expect and prepare.

pace 2 years, 10 months ago

The only education effort Brownback has been successful at is teaching a great number of people the reasons a governor can be recalled in Kansas. He deserved recall but the law doesn't allow it unless he is indicted and convicted.

downriverdan 2 years, 10 months ago

Brownback's Roadmap for Kansas has not begun yet, it is just now under way. The results we have now are from a prior administration.

littlexav 2 years, 10 months ago

Dems have to be honest - Sebelius was only able to hold Kansas together because she has brass balls. Big, beautiful, brass balls. Parkinson was a total tool, and the last couple years have been pretty rough. Let Brownie have a shot at it.

pace 2 years, 10 months ago

I like guns, but Kansas needs a governor who is a straight shooter, not shooting people in the back while hiding behind the Koch bros.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 10 months ago

SO, WHO’S HIRING? | Most industries still struggle to recover from recession

Most industries struggle, but health care jobs are booming

Overall employment market improved in KC last year, but just a bit. The medical field, however, continues its boom.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/02/3405155/most-industries-struggle-but-health.html#storylink=cpy

jhawkinsf 2 years, 10 months ago

There's exactly one job provider waiting for us in our mirror.
Seek and ye shall find.