Archive for Thursday, December 27, 2012

Letter: Hateful views

December 27, 2012

To the editor:

Carl Burkhead’s recent letter regarding the massacre in Connecticut brought several emotions to mind, i.e., horror, disgust, amazement and anger. If I hadn’t seen his name, I would swear that it was written by the Phelps Westboro clan of crackpots.

The level of disregard for the families and friends hit by this madness is just beyond comprehension. He thinks that those murdered aren’t the victims, dismissing them as part of the judgment?  He says instead that “we are the victims,” apparently referring to himself and others that continue to believe only in a wrathful, vengeful God.

Well, I wish that these views would remain his alone, or better yet, he’d realize how misguided he is and change his opinion. Seeing himself as a good Christian doesn’t give him an advantage over adherents to other religions or to non-believers either. All that is required to be considered a “good” person is to treat others kindly, to show love, compassion and understanding. Do the words of Jesus come to mind?

This letter drips with hate and ignorance. I can only hope that families in Newtown don’t hear about it as they bury and mourn their loved ones. Mr. Burkhead has used this tragedy to further his own hateful views. Shame on him!

Comments

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 2 months ago

Unfortunately, what he did is no different from what Mike Huckabee, a recent Republican primary candidate for the presidency, did, who initially blamed it on God's anger over Connecticut's acceptance of same sex marriage.
Mr. Huckabee has since changed his story and now blames it on "God's judgment over contraception" for the massacre.
You used to only see this type of vitriolic religiosity coming from religious crackpots like Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell. They've been blaming hurricanes, tornadoes and just about every other disaster on "God's wrath" for decades. But now that we have mainstream right wing religious PACs like Focus on the Family and American Family Association, we're seeing main stream political leaders espousing this sort of thing and their base is taking it up and parroting it.
Fortunately, it seems that most of mainstream America is beginning to wake up and realize what insensitive, cruel and hateful people these male donkeys really are.

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

"Male donkey?" You mean like the male donkey (aka Democrat) Nobel Peace Prize winning, Person of The Year who ordered drone strikes on Pakistan that have killed over 2000 civilians including 176 children?

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 2 months ago

More like the male donkey (aka non-Democrat) wanted for war crimes in Europe that tricked us into an unfunded 10 year war over non-existent "weapons of mass destruction" that resulted in over 150,000 needless deaths of which 29% (over 40,000) were children and left our country bankrupt.

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

So it's a matter of numbers. And awards.

Kendall Simmons 2 years, 2 months ago

When I read your initial post, it sure seemed like you were the one making it a "matter of numbers. And awards."

That being the case, why are you now criticizing the standard that you created??? Or did I truly miss something somewhere?

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

My example still has 4 more years, he could easily surpass that!

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 2 months ago

I am jest testing to see if the word can be used on this site, otherwise why is everyone being so cute about the word?

A male donkey is called a jack or jackass

There is also another name used in Australian English and that is a CUDDY !!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of donkeys, mules and more!

Does anyone remember the mule that Festus rode in Gunsmoke? What was the mules name?

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 2 months ago

In the words of Festus Hagen, here's why.....

You ask how come I call my old mule, Ruth, when in fact the solemn truth is that he's a jack, and not no jenny, that's for sure. Well, they's no call for you to know, but since you asked, I'll tell you so just settle back and heed to what I say.

It started in 1861, the war, well it had just begun to be a war. I wasn't much, so to speak, a mule skinner, not one to seek fame nor fortune, especially in no war.

Now, every man's got a pride. Most times it's deep inside about his job and mine was attending mules. My favorite was a long-eared jenny. Now, I reckon you'll think that I'm a ninny 'cause I loved her just like I'd love my mother. She was faithful, stout and she was smart, and friend, she had lots of heart. If she'd been a man, I'd a loved her like a brother.

Well, we'd fought back with all we had, but still the war was a going bad, for in '64 Schofield hit us Tennessee boys hard, and just thirty miles away, at dawn, near Spring Hill on a early 'morn, five generals that wore Confederate gray had chitin's and bacon and eggs and grits. Lord, they'd planned to give 'em fits but the tide of war just went the other way. The five brave men that led Hood's charge was met by a artillery barrage that mowed 'em down just like so much hay.

Now, somebody had to get them men and, by golly I can't remember when I've ever been so proud as I was that day. "Just take 'ol Ruth," the Captain said, and when it got dark, I slowly led my jenny to the Harpeth Rivers bank. I'd found them boys in gray and when on Ruth's back they stiffly lay, I started back, but then my spirit sorta sank. A dad-blamed sentry opened fire and them Yankee's did conspire to add me to their list of casualties. Well, 'ol Ruth, she just plowed along not a listening to the bullet song, just brushed 'em off like they was a swarm of bee's.

Well, somehow we got back that night, and I thanked God I was alright. I'd brought them boys from where they was a laying. I hadn't even got a scratch, so I lit my pipe and when the match flared up, I seen 'ol Ruth was just a swaying'. Blood was running down her side. My throat choked up and then I cried, and she looked at me and her eyes was soft and brown. She seemed to say, "Now, don't cry for me, we had a job to do, you see!" And, then 'old Ruth just seemed to slide right down.

There's a marker that I put on her grave that reads, "Here lies a mule that gave her life and that's the truth. Now, every mule I'll ever own will bare your name. So, be it known while I'm alive, they'll always be a Ruth "

Yeah, they'll always be a Ruth.

Kendall Simmons 2 years, 2 months ago

Easily?

Out of curiosity, had it been McCain doing it over the past 4 years, do you think you still would be complaining??? Serious question.

Kendall Simmons 2 years, 2 months ago

Nah. Your grandfather wasn't an atheist. He was just anti-Catholic. Oh my gosh. Do I remember those days. It was awful.

OK. I admit that maybe your grandfather was actually an atheist...but in my life, that claim of atheism was constantly used as an excuse by so many older people, particularly men, for being anti-Catholic. A claim used by people who were no more atheist than the pope. Such a claim apparently gave them the excuse they needed to be hateful.

Phil Minkin 2 years, 2 months ago

Burkhead is the Christian equivalent of Taliban, totally intolerant and dangerous.

Liberty275 2 years, 2 months ago

I think you have lost perspective. Google "daniel pearl beheaded", watch the video and then give us your opinion of Burkhead.

Liberty275 2 years, 2 months ago

Dr Tiller, you were shot. Mr Pearl had his throat slit after being tortured.

Do you think he can understand that foodboy?

Kendall Simmons 2 years, 2 months ago

My opinion? If Carl Burkhead lived in Pakistan or Afghanistan, he'd be a zealous member of the Taliban.

verity 2 years, 2 months ago

From my early training, I recall that setting yourself up as God was wrong.

The people who make these kind of pronouncements are setting themselves up as God. If they really believe what they claim to, how can they think that they know God's mind?

False prophets?

I see the blaming of God for every tragedy as the outpouring of a frustrated and unhappy mind which feels out of control of their own lives, so tries to control the actions of others.

These people are to be pitied. Unfortunately, their rantings are an infectious disease.

blindrabbit 2 years, 2 months ago

Since I had Mr. Burkhead as a professor back in the 1960's as a student in the Environmmental Sciences program at KU, I have seen this man slide into a deluded form of religion. How can someone who is supposedly educated in the Sciences (Burkhead) be/become so ignorant in the reality of life and so taken up by the blinded dogma of whatever he interprets God's religion to be.