Archive for Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Letter: Vengeful God

December 26, 2012

To the editor:

I tried to resist but just couldn’t. And besides, it is the season of Christmas. Once again, Carl Burkhead has resubmitted the same letter to the Journal-World, which says in essence that the world and all of its inhabitants are doomed to eternal damnation if they do not conform to his religious beliefs. Thus, all non-Christians are in deep do-do and a significant proportion of those who profess Christianity are also in deep trouble because they do not require a literalist interpretation of the Scriptures to understand and be in relationship with their God.

Burkhead’s God is a vengeful God who “has allowed 9/11, AIDS (a belief held in common with the Phelps gang), suicides, murders, natural disasters, economic bondage and family division as judgments on this nation, families and individuals.” These horrible events (I assume including the deaths of 20 innocent kindergartners) are apparently the consequences for those who do not conform to Burkhead’s religious beliefs. My God is NOT a vengeful God. I guess in the end, we shall see, Carl; we shall see.

Comments

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 3 months ago

Reality can be disappointing and boring to some. This is why they invent gods.

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 3 months ago

All of this flailing about trying to understand "god", why he gave me cancer, why he didn't, etc. etc.

Folks, it's evolution. There is no god. In evolution we trust.

phoggyjay 1 year, 3 months ago

If there was a God, why would he have given me cancer when I was 14 and has allowed my Dad and Grandpa to get incurable cancer now?

verity 1 year, 3 months ago

Oh, tange, I missed it all, having been partying with relatives of many religious and political persuasions. Fortunately, the teetotalers prevail, and we know not to go where angels fear to tread, but I digress.

Thanks for the condensation--- I was worried we were to lose you completely and that wouldn't do.

tange 1 year, 3 months ago

Unusual surgery, above.

Certainly no reason to keep the redundant conversation, immediately above.

The several comments surrounding the lone remnant: "Perhaps I could." involved a reference to the old proverb: "... teach a man to fish..." which isn't Biblical at all (even if "Jesus" may have uttered it in a move), hence my challenge for a reference, followed by my assertion "Not likely." (i.e., that such a reference could be provided).

[oops, the remnant too now is gone]

That's all.

mrbob 1 year, 3 months ago

Mr. Dailey is correct about one thing, in the end he will indeed see.; those who are spiritually blind in this age will see in the age to come.

tange 1 year, 3 months ago

Laus_Deo 1 year, 3 months ago

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. [Carl Sagan]

I can hardly wait for the Drake equation to confirm SETI relativity.

Bruce Springsteen 1 year, 3 months ago

Dailey's God is not a vengeful God; he's a spaced out and negligent God. Or a coy God. But the important thing is he's Dailey's God, and he's welcome to Him, as Burkhead is welcome to his.

Theology is like Build-A-Bear.

markoo 1 year, 3 months ago

Dennis, I really wish you wouldn't get so worked up by Carl. Religious nuts are going to believe what they are going to believe, and it's the LJWorld op-ed group that has chosen to give him a voice. Evidently their continual decision to do so seemingly has worked in getting people talking since you've felt compelled to respond.

I've got a number of very close family members who are religious fundies. It may be strange, but I just see their discussions on God and Jesus (even the scary ones of we'll be burning in hell if we don't believe in utter fear the way they do) as a means of telling us that they love us. I know there's better ways to do it - a simple "I love you" would be great. But I'm just not offended anymore by it. Carl may not mean "I love you", and he may actually be a very frightened man instead. In either case, I don't think you should get too riled up by it.

You're an incredibly intelligent man who sees things and knows things better than this. Just saying.

Armstrong 1 year, 3 months ago

whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Wow tough concept to grasp. Religeous bigots please feel free to post your stupidity below.

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 3 months ago

There is no figment like a religious figment, forcing one to doubt that humans can ever know anything except god.

As knowledge and science advance, it is the last refuge (refuse?) of the religious: to deny that humans can ever know anything about reality.

Belief in god can certainly thrive in this environment.

tange 1 year, 3 months ago

The nature of reality remains a question, except in minds circumscribed by the fragments (figments?) of the day: evolution, genetics, and brain electrochemistry, self- or mass-opiated.

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 3 months ago

Religious belief is an adaptation sculpted by natural selection.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 3 months ago

Reality does not depend upon what you think it is, no matter how wise you think your writings are.

verity 1 year, 3 months ago

My observation has been that a person's God usually has the same personality that they do.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 3 months ago

In the movie, "Legion", a girl asks her mother why God is angry with His children. "I don't know," her mother answers. "Maybe he just got tired of all the bull." Best answer I have heard.

RoeDapple 1 year, 3 months ago

He still hasn't done anything about my lottery request(s).

Cait McKnelly 1 year, 3 months ago

I wanted to ask God why there was so much misery, heartbreak, poverty and suffering on Earth and why He didn't do anything about it. I was afraid to because I feared He would ask me the same question.

Steven Gaudreau 1 year, 3 months ago

Burkhead is confused. Man created all of the misery in this world, not God.

disappointed_regressive 1 year, 3 months ago

I wish someone would submit a letter with glowing praise for the prophet Muhammed and how his law should be followed and not mocked, just to see the reactions to that particular letter.

WristTwister 1 year, 3 months ago

Whether one believes in a vengeful God, loving God or no God at all, it is each individual's right to decide for themselves what they believe and express those beliefs. Those that mock and condemn others beliefs are really the ones who are "short circuiting".

Paul R Getto 1 year, 3 months ago

We are programmed to be "spiritual" but should eventually outgrow our religions.

bballwizard 1 year, 3 months ago

Hey Shane on you. You can't have logical thoughtful discussions about this subject. What are you? A sane person. On a further depressing note. I took my family to movie theater yesterday and my first thought was an escape route ???? I thought what kind of a world are we leaving my sons.

Linda and Bill Houghton 1 year, 3 months ago

Disappointing as it may be we will not see. Our "soul" which is supposed to go to heaven or hell is nothing more than electrical impulses in our brain. As one of the final components of death these electrical impulses stop and our soul no longer exists. The religions of this earth were developed over time to try to answer questions about things that we could not understand. So, in fact, there is probably neither a vengeful god nor a loving god.

God was created as a supernatural being to solve what we did not understand. Should such a god exist, what created it. We are just pushing our lack of knowledge back one level by creating such a supernatural being.