Archive for Monday, December 24, 2012

Car accident damages utility pole, blocks traffic, in 1500 block of Tennessee Street

December 24, 2012, 3:20 p.m. Updated December 24, 2012, 3:20 p.m.

A single-car accident in the 1500 block of Tennessee Street damaged a utility pole about 12:10 a.m. Monday and temporarily blocked traffic through 16th Street.

Lawrence police and Lawrence-Douglas County Fire-Medical responded, finding one vehicle badly damaged in the street. The driver was not injured, according to Journal-World news partner Operation 100, but was arrested on suspicion of driving while intoxicated. Abhinav Kumar, 21, also could be charged with not having a valid driver's license and proof of insurance.

Westar Energy reported one power outage minutes after the accident, but service was restored by 2:20 a.m. Fire-Medical officials said damage to the utility pole might have triggered fire alarms in the area of near 14th and Alumni Place, north to the 1200 block of Oread Avenue.

Comments

blindrabbit 1 year, 12 months ago

15th and Tennesee, single car badly damaged, no mention of driver, midnight any thought given to a student possibly drinking a bit too much??

bearded_gnome 1 year, 12 months ago

"one power outage" means one residence without power???

Ian_Cummings 1 year, 12 months ago

The rough estimate, according to Westar, is one residence — I went out there after the accident and most of the houses nearby still had power.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 12 months ago

blindrabbit 1 hour, 28 minutes ago

15th and Tennesee,[sic] single car badly damaged, no mention of driver, midnight any thought given to a student possibly drinking a bit too much??

---oh BR, in the christmas season let's be charitable and say the driver was swerving to avoid hitting Bigoot.

tir 1 year, 12 months ago

I guess that explains why my power went out in the middle of the night--I doubt that mine was the only residence left without light and heat for two hours. This is the 2nd time in recent history that some moron hit a utility pole in the Oread neighborhood. The city ought to make the cretins behind the wheel pay dearly for the utility pole damage on top of whatever other charges they can slap them with.

ak1991 1 year, 12 months ago

I was the driver of the car and I am sorry for what happened. I wish I could correct what happened. But alas it is history and all I can do now is accept the punishment meted out to me.

Jean Robart 1 year, 12 months ago

I though school at KU was out already? Seems like some students hung around a while.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 12 months ago

Ian_Cummings 8 hours, 53 minutes ago

Ian, your writing could've been clearer in the original article if that was known then. thanks.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 12 months ago

---should've read "bigfoot"

bearded_gnome 1 year, 12 months ago

Charlie, many students don't leave for various reasons.

ak1991 1 year, 12 months ago

I was the driver of the car. I regret what happened and will go to court to pay for and be punished for what I rightfully deserve. I am sorry to the community of Lawrence for the trouble I directly or indirectly caused. I am an international student and may be deported due this incident. I also am grateful that Lawrence and KU provided me a great opportunity to learn and gain a new perspective. I have met great people here and they will always be important to me no matter if I get a chance to stay here and finish my studies or if I get deported. Thank you all. Please accept my deepest apology.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 11 months ago

Mr. Kumar, thanks for posting and apologizing. you will pay a heavy price for this, perhaps worse than our american students would in the same set of circumstances. they don't usually have to lose their education over such.

you probably had KU's Safe Ride available, and I am sorry you didn't use it. my hope is that you will be able to continue your education, and also make recompense for these violations. I am glad you didn't harm another person, that easily could've been part of this story.