Archive for Saturday, December 22, 2012

Letter: A lost treasure

December 22, 2012

To the editor:

Downtown Lawrence is turning into a Potterville of bars and restaurants. There was a time when there were enough retail shops on Mass. Street that I could spend hours doing my Christmas shopping. Today I was done in about 45 minutes.

Thanks Walmart. Thanks, too, to a City Commission that has rolled over to developers and allowed unbridled retail expansion on the outskirts of town. We have lost a treasure all for the sake of cut rate, low-quality foreign goods.

Comments

Pal 2 years ago

It's a government town evolving. What do you expect?

Thank Unions for your "cut-rate foreign goods".

Richard Heckler 2 years ago

The letter writer is on the mark.....

RoeDapple 2 years ago

Yes, thanks Walmart! Thank you for better paying jobs than downtown, for shopping hours that better fit most people's schedules and for prices that are closer to what we can afford! Thank you for a clean shopping environment where I don't have to walk through stinking alleys coated with rancid cooking grease, broken glass and vomit to get to the stores! Thank you for a great pharmacy, a large selection of name brand and private label groceries and wide isles that allow shoppers plenty of room! And thank you for plenty of free parking, especially because you don't have those dumb@$$ 15 minute meters that sit empty 23 hours of the day!

BigAl 2 years ago

I couldn't disagree more. Downtown is still special particularly during this time of year. There is a reason that parking spots are full and people are moving about. Apparently Mr. Bishop hasn't spent enough time to check out the different stores: The Etc Shop, 10 Thousand Villages, Weavers, Africa Adorned, Frameworks, Fortuity and places like The Surf Shop and the "jock" stores. (Just to name a few). And, I am NOT a shopper. I just know the unique "downtown" that Lawrence has and I appreciate it. By the way, having a cold beer and a sandwich while shopping doesn't hurt either.
Carry on......

tomatogrower 2 years ago

I still shop downtown, but I do agree that the small mom and pop type stores are mostly gone. That's because developers like Compton came in offering more money than the buildings were worth, artificially raising the values and taxes on other owners. Then they had to charge such high lease rates that only corporations, bars and restaurants could make enough money to afford the rent. I think Weavers owns their building. And the few small businesses that still struggle to exist still own their buildings, but I understand that Compton and his buddies are always trying to buy them out with ridiculously high offers. But these owners are struggling, because their property taxes have tripled, since this take over of downtown began.

George_Braziller 2 years ago

Twenty years ago when I was looking for a house to buy, one of the things on the "want" list I gave to my realtor was to be near downtown. I wanted the convenience of being able to do some of my shopping within walking distance of my front door.

Now, despite living only two blocks from downtown, I rarely ever even go downtown. There are plenty of places to eat or drink but all of the stores which carried items you needed for everyday living are gone. I did some Christmas shopping this week and it was the first time I'd been downtown since last summer.