Archive for Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Regulations adopted to implement higher admission standards at KU in 2016

December 19, 2012

— Higher education officials on Wednesday approved regulations to implement increased admission standards at Kansas University.

KU officials say the standards, which will be implemented in 2016, are aimed at increasing student achievement.

Currently, admission criteria are the same for all six regents universities. A Kansas high school graduate can be admitted if he or she meets one of these:

• Has an ACT score of at least 21 or SAT score of at least 980.

• Ranks in the top one-third of the high school class.

• Has a 2.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale in the Kansas Qualified Precollege Admissions curriculum.

Under the new standards, to be automatically admitted to KU, graduating high school students would have to complete the pre-college curriculum along with one of these:

• A minimum 3.0 GPA and an ACT score of at least 24 or SAT of at least 1090.

• A minimum 3.25 GPA and an ACT score of 21 or SAT of 980.

Students would also have to apply by Feb. 1 before their freshman year at KU to be considered for automatic application.

Students who don’t meet the criteria will have their applications reviewed by a committee that will look at numerous considerations, including whether the applying student would be a first-generation college student or is the child or grandchild of KU graduates, and whether he or she has the potential to succeed academically.

Comments

Bob_Keeshan 1 year, 4 months ago

According to US News, KU accepts 93% of its applicants but only 79% of them come back after freshman year. Ideally, those two percentages would be reversed. Research shows the more selective a public university is, the more students it retains from freshman to sophomore year, and the more students earn their degree.

Even with lower freshman enrollments, overall enrollments would be higher because more students would be staying around to earn a degree.

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 4 months ago

GPA is related to intelligence but is not strictly correlative.

What a GPA tells you is how successful academically the student has been, and is thus an indicator of future academic success (or not). This is related to intelligence, but is certainly not the sole indicator.

Not everyone is cut out for university, intelligent or not. Just as everyone is not cut out to be a mechanic or chef.

Ku, as other universities, want to admit the students that have the greatest potential for academic success, which is measured by past GPA.

Jayhawks1985 1 year, 4 months ago

I totally agree with you.

Also,why does our society automatically equate a 2.0 with lack of intelligence? Just because you have a 3.0 is no indication of success. The 2.0 could have learning disabilities or maybe they are working full time and going to school.

Edison had suffered through many failures with his inventions until he achieved success. Maybe he was actually a 2.0 and someone with more intelligence should have taken on his projects.

Saying you can only go to certain school because you have a 2.0 is unfair. It is like not allowing minorities into restaurants because they make their business look bad.

I'm totally behind those who have to put more effort into things they are generally the ones with more passion.

A 3.0 is no indication of character.

Steven Gaudreau 1 year, 4 months ago

Raising the standards will raise KU's ranking. The flaw in the logic that having a better ranking will attract more out of state students is this is Kansas. The state of Kansas has very little to offer when you compare our state to others outside of Ok, Mo and Ne. The majority of the Illinois and Minn. students are here because KU has easier admission then their home states. This is the idea of a bunch of pontificating professors who have no idea how the real world works and live in their little utopian fantasy world of academia. This idea is as bad as Brownbacks no state tax plan. Anyone who has a business that is student driven.... sell, sell, sell.
What are the current KU basketball players players SAT scores I wonder? How many 3.25 players do we have now? It's irrelevant since KU and the high schools will lie, cheat and steal to get the good players scores higher anyway. How do the proffesor types feel about those kids getting admitted? I'm sure it's o.k. since all the profs are season ticket holders as well as hypocrites.

SnakeFist 1 year, 4 months ago

To those who think raising standards will actually increase enrollment, I don't think its that simple. Raising admissions standards is not the same as raising the perception of quality. More students may apply if they perceive KU as being higher quality than their other options, but, at the end of the day, KU will be chasing a much smaller pool of potential students, and will have to compete with an entirely different class of schools. Lastly, KU is located in Kansas, so no matter how high KU raises its standards, it still exists in a low-standard state that, for example, openly questions evolution.

You can have quantity or you can have quality, but you're unlikely to get a large quantity of quality students because they have many more options than a school in Kansas.

irtnog2001 1 year, 4 months ago

I think it is futile to raise admission standards without also raising the quality of instruction and reducing class size especially for the first two years of college. Although It may temporarily bump up USNWR rankings I predict this strategy will fail in the long run and is shortsignted. It tell me the school does not want to improve, it just wants an improved student body.

Jayhawks1985 1 year, 4 months ago

Besides the higher GPA bringing in your "above average student" it is also necessary to have above average faculty and I don't think KU ranks in the top ten there.

Will this be then in 2016 "above average students" meets just "average" faculty.

As I recall George Bush was pretty average and he was president,

You can have your 3.0 GPA but that doesn't make you better than anyone else.

Jayhawks1985 1 year, 4 months ago

Sorry I don't agree. I worked hard for my degree but was not even close to a 3.0. I am proud I graduated from KU. School will always be difficult for me and I think this just says if your average your not good enough to go to KU.

If you want out of state students they better offer a lot of scholarships or attract rich kids because the tuition rates are ungodly.

This also better apply 100% to student athletics.

jayhawklawrence 1 year, 4 months ago

This will turn out to be good for everyone. We have to raise the standards.

63BC 1 year, 4 months ago

Fastest way to increase rankings is to toughen standards. It will also lead to greater retention and attract more students from a larger pool. This is a good thing.

irtnog2001 1 year, 4 months ago

Wouldn't the state be better served if the Board of Regents was composed of the college presidents from each state university? I'm not particularly impressed with the qualifications of the Board of Regents to make these decisions. I suspect for the most part (unless they know they will take political heat) they rubber stamp whatever the college administrators want anyway.

Steven Gaudreau 1 year, 4 months ago

Of the six regents I believe KU is the only one with a decline in freshmen the past 5 yrs. This is a great way to escalate the decline in students at KU while KSU and MU are thriving. News Alert....KU is not nor will it ever be a competitive academic university.

Clickker 1 year, 4 months ago

I been paying taxes to this state for 30 years..are you tellin me that my kid cant go to an institution I support with my taxes just because he has a 2.98 gpa and a 21 ACT? And the rich get richer