Archive for Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Regulations adopted to implement higher admission standards at KU in 2016

December 19, 2012

— Higher education officials on Wednesday approved regulations to implement increased admission standards at Kansas University.

KU officials say the standards, which will be implemented in 2016, are aimed at increasing student achievement.

Currently, admission criteria are the same for all six regents universities. A Kansas high school graduate can be admitted if he or she meets one of these:

• Has an ACT score of at least 21 or SAT score of at least 980.

• Ranks in the top one-third of the high school class.

• Has a 2.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale in the Kansas Qualified Precollege Admissions curriculum.

Under the new standards, to be automatically admitted to KU, graduating high school students would have to complete the pre-college curriculum along with one of these:

• A minimum 3.0 GPA and an ACT score of at least 24 or SAT of at least 1090.

• A minimum 3.25 GPA and an ACT score of 21 or SAT of 980.

Students would also have to apply by Feb. 1 before their freshman year at KU to be considered for automatic application.

Students who don’t meet the criteria will have their applications reviewed by a committee that will look at numerous considerations, including whether the applying student would be a first-generation college student or is the child or grandchild of KU graduates, and whether he or she has the potential to succeed academically.

Comments

Jack Martin 2 years, 4 months ago

No - that is just one factor the committee will look at when reviewing applications of students who don't meet the automatic requirements. Our statistics indicate that children and grandchildren of KU graduates tend to be more likely to be successful in earning degrees themselves.

But again, it is only one factor the committee will look at, assuming the student has otherwise demonstrated potential to succeed academically. The full list of factors is in the PDFs linked from the original announcement: http://www.news.ku.edu/2012/may/16/admissions.shtml

konzahawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I hope they don't make many exceptions to the automatic requirements. These standards are still too low and not what the admission committee had originally recommended.

Clickker 2 years, 4 months ago

I been paying taxes to this state for 30 years..are you tellin me that my kid cant go to an institution I support with my taxes just because he has a 2.98 gpa and a 21 ACT? And the rich get richer

crimsonlaugh 2 years, 4 months ago

It might be better for him to prepare at a community college first. So many kids just don't do well because they aren't prepared and waste so much money. Of course, that's another problem: low standards in K-12. -Former KU advisor

fearsadness14 2 years, 4 months ago

there are plenty other state institutions that you have also been supporting. There is probably a better fit somewhere.

Jack Martin 2 years, 4 months ago

The GPA and ACT thresholds are only for automatic admission. Students who don't meet those thresholds will have their applications reviewed by a university committee, which will take into account a range of factors related to performance in high school and potential for success at a research university.

dinglesmith 2 years, 4 months ago

Don't be silly. You can't go live in a prison, play basketball in Allen, or argue a case in a Kansas court either. You've supported all of those things with your taxes. You're not qualified (thankfully in the first case).

orbiter 2 years, 4 months ago

"I been paying taxes to this state for 30 years..are you tellin me that my kid cant go to an institution I support with my taxes just because he has a 2.98 gpa and a 21 ACT?" --KU is less than a quarter supported by public funds, so perhaps be about 3/4 less outraged.

straightforward 2 years, 4 months ago

Your child is guaranteed equal opportunity, not equal outcome. If he or she wants to attend KU, they have to opportunity to meet the new academic standards.

I think this is a great improvement. Several of my friends at KU were from out of state and they came here because they couldn't get into their states' flagship universities. Do we really want to be a "safety" school that picks up all the students who couldn't get in to their first choice. There is nothing wrong with changing standards to increase the prestige of one school in the state. You child still has other public universities in the state to pick from.

FarneyMac 2 years, 4 months ago

Should've raised a smarter kid. 21 ACT is nothing.

bornon7 2 years, 4 months ago

Clickker...I don't know who you are, and I have often wondered....I happen to agree with you. It's in who you know, too.

fearsadness14 2 years, 4 months ago

I didn't go to KU five years ago because the standards were far too low. I think this is a great move for the university to attract more out of state students, college ready individuals, and to better their freshman retention rate. KSU has a niche with the Ag students, the Shockers with teachers, and so on. KU meanwhile is competing against flagship state institutions across the midwest which all have DRASTICALLY higher standards. It's a smart move no matter how you look at it.

fearsadness14 2 years, 4 months ago

The most common cross application schools with the university of Kansas all have higher standards, which subsequently bump up average ACT scores and make schools more competitive, which then makes them more desirable. Does that make sense in line with my previous comment or do I have to spell it out even further?

dinglesmith 2 years, 4 months ago

Sorry, but virtually every study of enrollment patterns actually does support this. When you raise admission standards and place application deadlines on students, you tend to see an immediate drop followed by increases over the next several years. This is counterintuitive, but pretty well documented. If your standards are already high it won't work, but KU's standards are horrifically low for a major state institution.

Having said that, KU should stop worrying about getting bigger freshman classes every year. That's not sustainable. KU should seek to see its freshman classes get stronger and retain more of them. You'll get the same result, become more efficient, and produce a better product.

thinkinganalytically 2 years, 4 months ago

Much of what you are paying for in an institution of higher education is the educational environment. Fellow students are an important part of that. If you have a school of turkey chasers, it is not a good learning environment, and you would be wise not to send your student to the institution. KU only has some turkey chasers, but the fewer the better.

lama 2 years, 4 months ago

Why the focus on more students? It will lead to better students.

63BC 2 years, 4 months ago

Fastest way to increase rankings is to toughen standards. It will also lead to greater retention and attract more students from a larger pool. This is a good thing.

thinkinganalytically 2 years, 4 months ago

If you look at the ranking criteria as used by USN&WR for example, it is self evident. A lower acceptance ratio (KU is 93%) automatically increases the ranking of the school. In addition, accepting only better prepared students will increase the graduation and retention rate. Both increase rankings.

SnakeFist 2 years, 4 months ago

Raising admissions standards will "attract more students from a larger pool."

You think there are more higher quality students than lower quality students - more geniuses than morons? The pool of potential students will be much smaller and we'll be competing with better schools in better states. Quality will go up, but enrollment will drop even faster than it is now, which will have significant economic impacts on Lawrence.

To the reporters at LJW: How about asking the questions of projected enrollment under the new standards, and projected economic impact on Lawrence?

jayhawklawrence 2 years, 4 months ago

This will turn out to be good for everyone. We have to raise the standards.

Jayhawks1985 2 years, 4 months ago

Sorry I don't agree. I worked hard for my degree but was not even close to a 3.0. I am proud I graduated from KU. School will always be difficult for me and I think this just says if your average your not good enough to go to KU.

If you want out of state students they better offer a lot of scholarships or attract rich kids because the tuition rates are ungodly.

This also better apply 100% to student athletics.

thinkinganalytically 2 years, 4 months ago

If you compare KU to the University of Wisconsin, as one example, KU would appear to be a bargain. For instate students, the cost of attending is about $2,000 cheaper at KU, for out of state students it is about $5,500 less at KU.

fearsadness14 2 years, 4 months ago

(...I think this just says if YOU'RE average YOU'RE not good enough to go to KU)... and you have a degree. I think this comment speaks for itself. Standards need to be raised. More students from across the country will become intrigued by a school that has tougher academic standards. If there are people not good enough to get into the school, all the better. Selectivity breeds academic competition and rigor, which is exactly what should be demanded from the University of Kansas.

Jayhawks1985 2 years, 4 months ago

Well if above average students include those from the fraternity that abuses turkeys than I pity KU.

Excuse me. "You're". I guess I should have went to Washburn I would have learned to spell correctly.

Lets go to a couple of basketball players and see if they can spell intelligence.

bornon7 2 years, 4 months ago

It will NEVER apply to student athletes. My son is a freshman. He has TA's teaching his classes...some that can't speak English very well. What I am paying for?!

Jayhawks1985 2 years, 4 months ago

Besides the higher GPA bringing in your "above average student" it is also necessary to have above average faculty and I don't think KU ranks in the top ten there.

Will this be then in 2016 "above average students" meets just "average" faculty.

As I recall George Bush was pretty average and he was president,

You can have your 3.0 GPA but that doesn't make you better than anyone else.

SnakeFist 2 years, 4 months ago

To those who think raising standards will actually increase enrollment, I don't think its that simple. Raising admissions standards is not the same as raising the perception of quality. More students may apply if they perceive KU as being higher quality than their other options, but, at the end of the day, KU will be chasing a much smaller pool of potential students, and will have to compete with an entirely different class of schools. Lastly, KU is located in Kansas, so no matter how high KU raises its standards, it still exists in a low-standard state that, for example, openly questions evolution.

You can have quantity or you can have quality, but you're unlikely to get a large quantity of quality students because they have many more options than a school in Kansas.

thinkinganalytically 2 years, 4 months ago

KU gets a wide range of undergraduate students. Some are truly excellent and have turned down elite universities to come to KU (usually because it is so much less expensive)

Jayhawks1985 2 years, 4 months ago

I totally agree with you.

Also,why does our society automatically equate a 2.0 with lack of intelligence? Just because you have a 3.0 is no indication of success. The 2.0 could have learning disabilities or maybe they are working full time and going to school.

Edison had suffered through many failures with his inventions until he achieved success. Maybe he was actually a 2.0 and someone with more intelligence should have taken on his projects.

Saying you can only go to certain school because you have a 2.0 is unfair. It is like not allowing minorities into restaurants because they make their business look bad.

I'm totally behind those who have to put more effort into things they are generally the ones with more passion.

A 3.0 is no indication of character.

yourworstnightmare 2 years, 4 months ago

GPA is related to intelligence but is not strictly correlative.

What a GPA tells you is how successful academically the student has been, and is thus an indicator of future academic success (or not). This is related to intelligence, but is certainly not the sole indicator.

Not everyone is cut out for university, intelligent or not. Just as everyone is not cut out to be a mechanic or chef.

Ku, as other universities, want to admit the students that have the greatest potential for academic success, which is measured by past GPA.

Bob_Keeshan 2 years, 4 months ago

According to US News, KU accepts 93% of its applicants but only 79% of them come back after freshman year. Ideally, those two percentages would be reversed. Research shows the more selective a public university is, the more students it retains from freshman to sophomore year, and the more students earn their degree.

Even with lower freshman enrollments, overall enrollments would be higher because more students would be staying around to earn a degree.