City commissioners will consider adopting a new set of building, electrical, plumbing and other similar codes.
Commissioners are being asked to adopt the 2012 International Codes. Changes proposed in the new code include: greater amounts of wall and ceiling insulation in new homes; more extensive tests to measure air leakage, and carbon monoxide alarms for all multi-family dwelling units.
• Approve all claims.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the City Clerk’s Office.
• Bid and purchase items:
a.) Set Bid Date of Jan. 29, 2013, for Bid Number B1302 Projects UT1201 – 2012 to 2015 Electrical Improvements Program and UT1202 - 2012 Mechanical Improvements Program Contract 1 and Authorize the Purchase of Traveling Sand Screen Rehab Parts from Siemens Industry Inc. in the Amount of $56,653.
b.) Award City Bid No. B1272, Project No. PW1233, 2012 Crosswalk Marking Project, to K & G Striping, Inc. for $39,305.
c.) Approve Change Order No. 3 for the 2012 Concrete Rehabilitation Project, PW 1205, to RD Johnson Excavating Co., Inc. for $200,000.
d.) Authorize the City Commission to execute an Engineer Services Agreement with Airport Develop Group in an amount of $16,000 for pavement maintenance at the Lawrence Municipal Airport for Project No. PW1304.
e.) Authorize the City Manager to enter into an agreement with Westar to construct the electrical lines necessary to power the existing environmental remediation ground water recovery system at the former Farmland property, for an estimated amount of $165,000 for Project No. PW1313.
f.) Authorize the City Manager to execute an Engineering Services Agreement with HNTB in the amount of $173,796 for Design, Bid and Construction Phase Engineering Services for Project UT1205 South Lawrence Traffic Way Utility Relocations.
g.) Authorize the City Manager to Execute Supplemental Agreement No.1 to the existing Engineering Services Agreement with Black and Veatch for Project UT1102KA Kaw WTP Raw Water Intake modifying the scope of services to include the design of improvements to the existing intake and a dredging plan with no change in the previously contracted fee.
• Adopt on first reading, Ordinance No. 8828, pertaining to separate restroom facilities for carryout fast food establishments.
• Adopt the following ordinances on second and final reading:
a.) Ordinance No. 8830, for revisions to Chapter 5, Article 18 of the City Code to revise sign standards to exempt temporary, double-sided freestanding and A-Frame signs from the sign code under certain circumstances.
b.) Ordinance No. 8826, adopting the Code of the City of Lawrence, Kansas 2013 edition as authorized by Ordinance 8825.
c.) Ordinance No. 8827, to annex (A-12-00190) approximately 20 acres located east of Kansas Highway 10 (K-10) and north of W. Sixth Street adjacent to the Baldwin Creek City Park, generally bounded by E. 902 Road on the west and George Williams Way extended on the east.
• Adopt Resolution No. 7001, declaring the boundaries of the City of Lawrence, Douglas County, Kansas.
• Accept dedication of right-of-way and vacate excess right-of-way, MS-12-00295, for a portion of the Kansas River Levee, generally located between Elm Street (extended and Lyon Street (extended) west of N. First Street. Submitted by Paul Werner Architects. The City of Lawrence, Douglas County Kaw Drainage District and Kaw River Estates, LLC are all owners of portions of the levee property.
• Accept dedications of rights-of-way and easements shown on Final Plat, PF-12-00251, for the former Farmland Property, an industrial subdivision containing 21 lots, five tracts and five greenway tracts encompassing approximately 533 acres. The property is located north of K-10/E 23rd Street between Greenway Circle and E 1575 Road.
• Approve renewal of excess worker’s compensation coverage with Safety National for the period of Jan. 1, 2013, through Dec. 31, 2013, for an estimated premium of $50,000.
• Receive recommendation from the Lawrence Cultural Arts Commission for an additional $5,000 allocation for 2013 to support the 25th anniversary celebration of the Lawrence Outdoor Downtown Sculpture Exhibition; refer to staff for recommendation.
• Approve contract with ModSpace for two triple wide modular offices to be set on the east side of the old Border’s Bookstore for use as administrative office/support for the temporary library location.
• Receive city manager’s report.
• Receive report on Black Hills Energy AMI (Advance Metering Infrastructure) project.
• Consider request from First Management, Inc., on behalf of Barb Wire Building, LLC, to transferee the current lease with Abe & Jakes Landing for the Barbed Wire Building located at 8 E. Sixth Street to Barb Wire Building, LLC.
• Consider adopting the following ordinances on first reading as related to the 2012 International Codes:
a.) Ordinance No. 8793, adopting the International Building Code, 2012 edition.
b.) Ordinance No. 8794, adopting the International Residential Code, 2012 edition.
c.) Ordinance No. 8795, adopting the National Electrical Code, 2011 edition.
d.) Ordinance No. 8796, adopting the International Plumbing Code, 2012 edition.
e.) Ordinance No. 8797, adopting the International Mechanical Code, 2012 edition.
f.) Ordinance No. 8798, adopting the International Fuel Gas Code, 2012 edition.
g.) Ordinance No. 8799, adopting the International Energy Conservation Code, 2012 edition.
h.) Ordinance No. 8800, adopting the International Existing Building Code, 2012 edition.
i.) Ordinance No. 8801, adopting the International Property Maintenance Code, 2012 edition.
j.) Ordinance No. 8802, adopting the International Fire Code, 2012 edition.
• Receive staff memo regarding community technology infrastructure and consider issuing a Request for Proposal for consulting services in regards to technology infrastructure.
• Receive staff report on the construction schedule/phasing and traffic control plan for the Iowa and 15th Street (Bob Billings Parkway) reconstruction project.