Archive for Monday, December 10, 2012

Hunter accidentally shot in legs near Valley Falls, injuries not life threatening

December 10, 2012

A hunter was accidentally shot in the legs Saturday at the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks Public Hunting area west of Valley Falls.

According to the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office, 51-year-old Michael Gaddis, of Kansas City, Kan., was hit in the back of the legs with birdshot from a shotgun as he walked back to his vehicle at about 10 a.m.

Gaddis drove himself to Atchison County Memorial Hospital, where he received treatment for non-life threatening injuries.

While police described the shooting as accidental, they said they were unsure who fired the shot, and are still seeking information about the incident. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office at 785-863-2351.

Comments

jhawkinsf 1 year, 7 months ago

Round up the usual suspects. Dick Cheney's whereabouts have yet to be determined.

Just kidding. Hope he recovers quickly.

Bud Stagg 1 year, 7 months ago

Really? They don't know who did it? Been hunting several hundred times, you would know. However I wouldn't turn in a buddy of mine if it wan't too serious, it was an accident I'm sure. The victim (who obviously was not hurt too bad) would also give up the ability to give the shooter (probably a good friend) trouble for the rest of their lives. "I could walk through that tough thicket, but my wounds are acting up, you better do it Bill, since YOU SHOT ME!"

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 7 months ago

Was he hunting alone?, and someone near by shot and didn't know this fellow was around. I know be sure of your target and beyond, but sometimes things don't always go by the book

Clickker 1 year, 7 months ago

Thats why you shouldnt text and hunt at the same time.

50YearResident 1 year, 7 months ago

I bet the shooter friend was using illegal shotgun ammo while deer hunting. May not have had a license either, The shooter had to be within 50 yards to cause injury wiith birdshot.

JJE007 1 year, 7 months ago

You're in the running for the most ridiculous speculation award, and that's a tough accomplishment on this thread! Thanks for playing.

Are you really so sure that the Sheriff's office is lying, or that they have no clue as to what "bird shot" might be?

riverdrifter 1 year, 7 months ago

50 yards?! Ha! Years ago I took a pattern at ~110 yards and got a fat lip and a chipped tooth. It also shattered a button on my hunting coat.

BadAssterson 1 year, 7 months ago

Wow! I can't believe there aren't any anti-gun comments yet! Somebody is accidentally shot by an unknown source and first thoughts on here are that it is a person who is responsible for the mysterious shot.

In other situations, when a person shoots another person, so many people blame the whole situation on the gun and not the person who fired it.

Finally all the gun bashers have a situation where it sounds like a mysterious gun actually just fired all by itself and hit a human...and they are yet to jump on here and blame the gun! What is going on?

John Kyle 1 year, 7 months ago

What is going on is that your opinion about "gun bashers" is absolutely wrong. You take them to be blind idiots but it is you who has made the error now. Perhaps people who think there should be more gun control are able to make the distinction between a hunter being shot and someone loaded with assault weapons firing on a theater. I know I can make the distinction.

tomatogrower 1 year, 7 months ago

queequeg is right. I know the NRA won't allow you, ba, to think it, but those of us who are for gun control have no intentions against hunters. I will say that whoever is responsible should be made to go through a hunter safety course, before being allowed to hunt again. I imagine the NRA is against that too.

RoeDapple 1 year, 7 months ago

tomatogrower, The NRA and the state of New York established the first hunter education course in 1949 and have always promoted hunter safety.

BadAssterson 1 year, 7 months ago

I didn't ever call anybody a "blind idiot" but thanks for pointing out "gun bashers" have made errors in the past.

FalseFlag 1 year, 7 months ago

Sounds like a city boys first time in the field.

JJE007 1 year, 7 months ago

In an attempt to win the speculation award, I posit that his beagle shot him when he dropped his auto-loader, without opening the action, and went to retrieve a fat cottontail. Dogs jerk too many triggers, just like LJW posters.