Letters to the Editor

A little fun?

August 25, 2012

To the editor:

Like many Kansans, I was shocked that Kevin Yoder, a Republican congressman, would take off his clothes under the stars and jump with wild abandon into the Sea of Galilee. I didn’t think our Republican lawmakers were into that kind of thing. You know, that “joy” and “happiness” thing.

After all, Sam Brownback seems to have a one-man vendetta against most things that make life on earth a pleasant experience: public arts, a well-educated populace, access to affordable health care and reproductive freedom. Kris Kobach probably hasn’t done much skinny-dipping lately; he’s been too busy disenfranchising traditionally Democratic-leaning voters and writing other states’ immigration laws.

Maybe these men aren’t bad people; maybe they’re just depressed. Maybe the terrible laws they make are just a sublimation of their unfulfilled desire for exuberance and fun. A good ‘ol naked dive into holy waters every so often might do Republican statesmen, and Kansas, some good.

Comments

So_tired_of_the_whiners 1 year, 7 months ago

Perhaps Mr. Yoder had just listened to a lot of REM...

jfs1047 1 year, 7 months ago

I enjoyed the letter to the editor. Seemed very factual to me according to what I read in the Lawrence Journal-World.

commonsenseanyone 1 year, 7 months ago

I will start the shunning. I have shunned all of you.

deec 1 year, 7 months ago

At the rate things are going on here, I wouldn't be surprised if the LJW pulls the plug on the whole darn thing again soon.

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 7 months ago

Too bad Yoder can't make the news by his (lack of) accomplishments in Congress.

If there wasn't news about this incident, there would be no news about Mediyoder at all.

FalseHopeNoChange 1 year, 7 months ago

tange 7 hours, 15 minutes ago

Seems those who cannot enjoy life simply, directly, have a need to construct an exorbitant reality controlling—and at the expense of—those who can.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

verity 6 hours, 51 minutes ago

I've noticed that too.

I've also noticed that those who seek to control others generally can't control themselves or their own lives, so feel that the only way to have control is to control others.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Narcissists are like 'that.' Take these dandies for example. Noses 'stuck' in the air like they are all that.

JackMcKee 1 year, 7 months ago

Kevin just thinks he's better than everyone else. He's only interested in Kansas because he can't get elected in any other state in the country. He's still light years better than Lynn Jenkins. I'm starting to think that a trained monkey could represent Kansas.

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 7 months ago

Mediyoder.

Shameful that what Yoder is known for is his naked dip in the Sea of Gallilee. He hasn't done anything in Congress, so it is no surprise I guess.

Embarrassing that Johnson County voters sent him to Washington DC as their representative.

rockchalk1977 1 year, 7 months ago

Movie Races to Box Office #1. As of late Friday afternoon, “2016: Obama's America” had grossed $700,000 from 1,090 theaters. That compared with $300,000 for the new big-budget, Sylvester Stallone action flick “The Expendables 2,” which is playing in 3,355 theaters.

rockchalk1977 1 year, 7 months ago

Were you equally shocked with Joe Biden's recent quote to a black audience "They are going to put y'all back in chains"? What about Bill Maher calling Palin the "C Word" and then Obama cashing Maher's campaign check for one million dollars? Or is this just selective partisan outrage on your part Mr. Davis?

verity 1 year, 7 months ago

Can we please just have an ignore or hide button? It would save all this nonsense about "don't respond to my posts."

verity 1 year, 7 months ago

The letter writer does make a good point. However, I still think they're bad people. Bad and depressed aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. In fact, being a bad person might just make you depressed.

Abdu Omar 1 year, 7 months ago

What Yoder did was foolish and without concern for the sensitivity of the people, just like what he and Brownback do for this state. I am not surprised that this happened as I can see what is happening around us here in Kansas. Let them do as they please, we see their true colors and we will elect someone else in November.

tange 1 year, 7 months ago

Ragingbear 1 year, 7 months ago

No, they are bad people. Bad people do bad things deliberately. Brownback deliberately makes laws to screw people, and our little skinny dipper deliberately stripped nude and took a swim in a country where such behavior could get you stoned, castrated, or both.

jafs 1 year, 7 months ago

Certainly, most Libertarians I've met seem to believe they'd do quite well personally in an unregulated free market economy.

Whether or not that's true, of course, is open to debate.

I wonder if they'd still support the idea if they thought they'd do badly.

Liberty_One 1 year, 7 months ago

"Sam Brownback seems to have a one-man vendetta against most things that make life on earth a pleasant experience: public arts, a well-educated populace, access to affordable health care"

So if the governor was against establishing a state church would that also mean he had a vendetta against religion?

Logic fail.

People who lack self-confidence, people who suffer from low self-esteem, aren't likely to support efforts to achieve a free society or even to understand why a free society is a desirable goal.

riverdrifter 1 year, 7 months ago

"A good ‘ol naked dive into holy waters every so often might do Republican statesmen, and Kansas, some good."

A juke is a juke. Next.