Archive for Friday, August 17, 2012

LHS, Facebook

August 17, 2012

To the editor:

Monday morning, while drinking my first great cup of coffee, I got a bitter taste in my mouth when I suddenly read from one of my Facebook friends that someone has posted a Facebook page called Lawrence HS Halls. It is an LHS gossip column. On the Lawrence HS Halls Facebook cover page it is quoted to say, “Loving is Hard, Hating Is Easy.”

I have a child in middle school this year that is planning to attend LHS next year. It is disturbing that a FB page like this is used to attract this cyber negativity and the anticipated children and families that will be hurt in the process. Please, advise children not to friend this page.

Comments

kuguardgrl13 1 year, 8 months ago

This happened last year across the border: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/22/3506935/judge-orders-lees-summit-bloggers.html

Just in case you think that students can't be disciplined for things posted online.

marymo70 1 year, 8 months ago

Can't stand people who think their kids are perfect little angels. My son would NEVER will probably bite you in the butt one day.

MurphyCat 1 year, 8 months ago

Have parents reported the page to Facebook? LPD? At the very least, it needs to be monitored. I have not personally read it, but from what other posters have quoted from it, it is a HUGE red flag.

otto 1 year, 8 months ago

If there are threats notify the police.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 8 months ago

I took the easy path in the middle of my response, I am sorry.

I feel less human for it.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 8 months ago

"Loving is Hard, Hating Is Easy.”

Do you realize that this is a paraphrasing of Confucious?:
"It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get."

Ghandi said nearly the same thing later:
"Hatred ever kills, love never dies; such is the vast difference between the two. What is obtained by love is retained for all time. What is obtained by hatred proves a burden in reality for it increases hatred."

While the gossip page is something unnecessary, the LTE writer in taking offense to the phrase "Loving is Hard, Hating Is Easy.” shows and displays how the propensity to lazily judge, and readily embrace the evil that lurks in her heart.
The saying is actually meant to inspire love, and discourage hate.

Maybe I am an optimist, and I do enjoy the poetry of Ella Wheeler Wilcox:

Optimism
I'm no reformer; for I see more light
Than darkness in the world; mine eyes are quick
To catch the first dim radiance of the dawn,
And slow to note the cloud that threatens storm.
The fragrance and the beauty of the rose
Delight me so, slight thought I give its thorn;
And the sweet music of the lark's clear song
Stays longer with me than the night hawk's cry.
And e'en in this great throe of pain called Life,
I find a rapture linked with each despair,
Well worth the price of Anguish. I detect
More good than evil in humanity.
Love lights more fires than hate extinguishes,
And men grow better as the world grows old.

Many times the young can be more perceptual than their elders.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 8 months ago

"LHS needs to take this sight down now."

Apparently, you don't know how the internet works. LHS has no control over it.

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 8 months ago

Goes to show you that the bottom of the gene pool is in Lawrence and the schools need more money? Not!

Liberal 1 year, 8 months ago

One of Adolph's post on his page is "I want to watch humanity die" This is very concerning. I hope the authorities have been notified. I would guess he is part of the group that put up the Lawrence HS Halls page....

The timeline header for the Halls page is "Loving is Hard, Hating is Easy"

Disturbing

northtowngrl 1 year, 8 months ago

I found it by taking the "halls" off and searching for Lawrence HS on facebook. When you do the "hall" part pops back up. LHS needs to take this sight down now. It looks like an official site when you first open it.

** Before you look for it Be Warned**

The serial killer in training kid who goes by Adolf Thry Black* who is posting the pics is one sick puppy who should be deep deep in therapy.

This is NOT a harmless fun site.

g_rock 1 year, 8 months ago

Do you have to wear pink on Wednesday? Is there a burn book? Were you nominated for Queen of the Spring Fling? That is so fetch.

Irenaku 1 year, 8 months ago

Additionally, the logo for LHS is on the page, which implies endorsement by the school, even if they do NOT support this. Might want to look into it, parents...

Irenaku 1 year, 8 months ago

I just now went on FB and found it. To the parent or parents of the kid or kids who are responsible for this page: Please remove it. It encourages negativity and bullying...and I am convinced that at some point, someone very vulnerable will be targeted through this medium. I cannot believe that this actually exists...perhaps I live in a bubble, but I am so proud to say of my own son that he would NEVER do something like this or participate in it. He is working to hard in school and standing up for the rights of LGBTQ folk, as well as other marginalized individuals. sigh

chestylion 1 year, 8 months ago

I could not find Lawrence HS Halls on Facebook this morning. Maybe it was taken down.