Archive for Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Kansas example?

August 14, 2012

To the editor:

Once again, I have heard a political party declare a mandate to the results of a election. Brownback is declaring that Kansas is the example to follow for the rest of the states after the results of the primary elections.

If the rest of the states are to follow suit of the Kansas primary movement then 21 percent of the registered voters would vote. The minority opinion would control the state’s government. The laws would aid the few; four out of five would have no say in how taxes, security and infrastructure finances affect their lives. The Kansas primary was an example of a lack of movement.

Comments

Brock Masters 2 years, 11 months ago

"four out of five would have no say". They have a say but they choose not to voice by voting.

Abdu Omar 2 years, 11 months ago

It was a primary. I went to vote, but being an independent they wouldn't let me unless I declared for a certain party. I don't want to be part of a party that rubber stamps everything the party says they want. No. I want to remain independent so I can think for myself.

I am one of the 4 0ut of five that didn't vote, but I will come November.

jafs 2 years, 11 months ago

Then you can't complain about the results of the primaries.

And, D will let you vote without registering as a D, if you're unaffiliated.

Why not register so you can vote in the primaries if you want to affect the outcomes?

rtwngr 2 years, 11 months ago

Just so you know, we aren't changing the system just because you two don't like it. Too bad.

headdoctor 2 years, 11 months ago

I don't believe anyone on this thread is suggesting the system be changed but the primary elections are somewhat miss leading because it prevents 28 percent of the registered voters in Kansas from voting unless they want to declare a party. Even if not all of the 28 percent show up to vote in November that is still a serious number of votes that could tip the scale one way or another. Especially since it would appear that the gain of the percentage of Independents is the same number that the Republicans lost.

headdoctor 2 years, 11 months ago

All this primary proved is that the Republicans are willing to feed on their own. The only mandate was Brownback and Company have made it clear that no one is welcome in the Republican party except for those who think like he does.

Getaroom 2 years, 11 months ago

rtwngr: if by that statement you mean you aren't changing the system to favor the few, you are correct and it will remain the same, only to get worse if Willard Romney wins.

Abdu Omar 2 years, 11 months ago

That is not what the election officials told me. When I said I was independent, they said that if I fill out this card of party affiliation, I could vote blue or red. I said that I didn't want to officially declare a party, and they said, then you can't vote. So what you are saying Degenestrator didn't happen to me.

jafs 2 years, 11 months ago

If you wanted to vote in the D primary, you should have been allowed to do so as an unaffiliated voter.

If you wanted to vote in the R primary, you have to register as a R.

jafs 2 years, 11 months ago

Unaffiliated voters can vote in D primaries, but not in R ones.

If you want to vote in a R primary, just register as R for that primary.

Why make such a big deal out of how you're registered? You can vote however you like in general elections regardless.

notajayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

"The minority opinion would control the state’s government."

"MINORITY" opinion? You don't get out of Lawrence much, do you, Pat?

jafs 2 years, 11 months ago

With a 23% statewide turnout, by definition that's a minority decision.

The vast majority, 77%, simply didn't vote at all.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 11 months ago

Let's do away with the defacto two-party system. Institute a parliamentary system with proportional representation and instant runoff voting. This would allow any significant party (Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Socialist, Reform, Green, whatever) to get a voice in government.

Do this, and voter turnout would increase substantially.

jafs 2 years, 11 months ago

I like the idea of proportional representation a lot.

Of course, it would be difficult in practice for the groups to work together, given such different philosophies and perspectives.

jafs 2 years, 11 months ago

Don't we have that already? Some people think that gridlock is the best thing our government can achieve.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 11 months ago

Gridlock couldn't be any worse than it is in the US Congress, currently.

And if we had proportional representation here in Kansas, moderates of various parties would hold a majority, and would likely find some way to cooperate to get legislation passed.

Liberty275 2 years, 11 months ago

You aren't a big fan of the constitution, are you?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm a big fan of amending the constitution as needed. This is one area where it really is needed.

JHOK32 2 years, 11 months ago

Yes, ladies & gentlemen, this is only the beginning: The GOP Party who screams their tantrums about wanting to create jobs! jobs! jobs!, just laid off another 40 State workers from KDOT yesterday. Yep, that's the sure way to get this country back to work Sammy - lay off people by the thousands, that'll get this economy movin again! The state workers will have to let their houses go back into foreclosures, the family gets put on food stamps which the rest of us pay for, the utlilities get shut off, I'm sure Westar & Black Hills will appreciate watching their sales plummet, which in turn causes their stockholders to get nervous & sell off all their stocks & then there's the run on Wall Street & the whole thing comes crushing down AGAIN, & we get another taxpayer bailout & then we all get to go do it all over again! Heck, we aughta be gittin pirdy dang good at this by now! Or we could go start another multi-Trillion dollar war so's we kin git them weapons of mass destruction - I swear they's around here somewheres! (wink wink, nod, nod), What we aughta do is run for Congress cause their all millionaires already & they get a free pension & healthcare (paid for by us - you know, the 40 that just got laid off).