Archive for Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Kansas example?

August 14, 2012

To the editor:

Once again, I have heard a political party declare a mandate to the results of a election. Brownback is declaring that Kansas is the example to follow for the rest of the states after the results of the primary elections.

If the rest of the states are to follow suit of the Kansas primary movement then 21 percent of the registered voters would vote. The minority opinion would control the state’s government. The laws would aid the few; four out of five would have no say in how taxes, security and infrastructure finances affect their lives. The Kansas primary was an example of a lack of movement.

Comments

JHOK32 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes, ladies & gentlemen, this is only the beginning: The GOP Party who screams their tantrums about wanting to create jobs! jobs! jobs!, just laid off another 40 State workers from KDOT yesterday. Yep, that's the sure way to get this country back to work Sammy - lay off people by the thousands, that'll get this economy movin again! The state workers will have to let their houses go back into foreclosures, the family gets put on food stamps which the rest of us pay for, the utlilities get shut off, I'm sure Westar & Black Hills will appreciate watching their sales plummet, which in turn causes their stockholders to get nervous & sell off all their stocks & then there's the run on Wall Street & the whole thing comes crushing down AGAIN, & we get another taxpayer bailout & then we all get to go do it all over again! Heck, we aughta be gittin pirdy dang good at this by now! Or we could go start another multi-Trillion dollar war so's we kin git them weapons of mass destruction - I swear they's around here somewheres! (wink wink, nod, nod), What we aughta do is run for Congress cause their all millionaires already & they get a free pension & healthcare (paid for by us - you know, the 40 that just got laid off).

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 8 months ago

Let's do away with the defacto two-party system. Institute a parliamentary system with proportional representation and instant runoff voting. This would allow any significant party (Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Socialist, Reform, Green, whatever) to get a voice in government.

Do this, and voter turnout would increase substantially.

jafs 1 year, 8 months ago

With a 23% statewide turnout, by definition that's a minority decision.

The vast majority, 77%, simply didn't vote at all.

notajayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

"The minority opinion would control the state’s government."

"MINORITY" opinion? You don't get out of Lawrence much, do you, Pat?

Eybea Opiner 1 year, 8 months ago

As a registered Libertarian, my name was flagged with "not eligible" on the voting rolls. I did cast a provisional ballot, but am unsure of whether it was counted or not.

If Independents, Libertarians, and others can't vote in primaries, then the Democrat and Republican parties should totally fund the primaries themselves, with no help from taxpayers.

defenestrator 1 year, 8 months ago

Just to be clear: You don't have to affiliate with the democratic party in order to vote their primary ballot--you can remain unaffiliated. To vote the republican ballot, an unaffiliated voter would have to re-affiliate to the republican party. Thanks.

Getaroom 1 year, 8 months ago

rtwngr: if by that statement you mean you aren't changing the system to favor the few, you are correct and it will remain the same, only to get worse if Willard Romney wins.

headdoctor 1 year, 8 months ago

All this primary proved is that the Republicans are willing to feed on their own. The only mandate was Brownback and Company have made it clear that no one is welcome in the Republican party except for those who think like he does.

Paul R Getto 1 year, 8 months ago

By default (not voting) we get the government we deserve.

rtwngr 1 year, 8 months ago

Just so you know, we aren't changing the system just because you two don't like it. Too bad.

Abdu Omar 1 year, 8 months ago

It was a primary. I went to vote, but being an independent they wouldn't let me unless I declared for a certain party. I don't want to be part of a party that rubber stamps everything the party says they want. No. I want to remain independent so I can think for myself.

I am one of the 4 0ut of five that didn't vote, but I will come November.

Brock Masters 1 year, 8 months ago

"four out of five would have no say". They have a say but they choose not to voice by voting.