Archive for Thursday, August 9, 2012

T trouble

August 9, 2012

To the editor:

What a pathetic “public” transportation setup!

For years the No. 6 has served downtown to Wakarusa Drive directly, but now someone decided No. 6 should go by the hospital in order to eliminate that bus line for a “flex” or whatever. Of course, to do this the 6 is now routed north on Maine returning to Sixth Street south on Michigan, leaving a gap of service from Maine to Michigan. This “gap” could have been eliminated by having the bus leave Sixth, serve the hospital then return to Sixth via the same street!

As part of this change, it seems nobody saw fit to remove the bus stop sign on westbound Sixth at Michigan. Also, since the eastbound stop at Sixth and Michigan is no longer in use (and there is a sign to that effect), you are directed to board the bus at Maine, an additional two walking blocks east. Of course, apparently nobody considered putting a stop on Michigan in either direction as this surely would have been too logical.

Comments

Hoots 1 year, 8 months ago

The 6 is a busy route on The T. Many Free State students utilize it as well as people going to the store, downtown, to work, etc. This complaint is ridiculous. They added a bus to this route due to ridership so now this whiner can catch the bus every 30 minutes instead of every 40.

The T and KU on Wheels do a great deal of data collection to determine which routes need to be changed, eliminated, or added to. The process is much more scientific than most people realize. This is an ongoing process to improve efficiency.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 8 months ago

You know, I used to have good words for the “T” but I’m not in the habit of supporting businesses that don’t have something to offer me. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ The "T" is not a business, it is a complete waste of tax dollars catering to those who want to mooch their transportation off of others. It is part of the entitlement generations desires for cradle to grave government services. It exhists only to create a sub class of freeloaders that are dependent upon the government, and in turn, keep the liberals in power. It does nothing to support the economy, just takes from it.

none2 1 year, 8 months ago

I have plenty of issues with the empTy. Having a bus stop that is no longer used seems silly because bus stops do cost money to create.

However, that aside, this seems like a petty complaint. Two blocks no longer served hardly rises to the occasion to get upset. If someone really doesn't like the route, they can always drive, ride a bike, walk, jog, get a ride from a neighbor, or call a taxi. Besides, If someone is that disabled that they need door to door service, then they need to consider the paratransit system.

smarty_pants 1 year, 8 months ago

Wow!! I thought I saw Don Draper on the bus the other day!

Flap Doodle 1 year, 8 months ago

We need a 300mph train in Lawrence.

somedude20 1 year, 8 months ago

This IS the Bus and he runs YOU over!!!

tvc 1 year, 8 months ago

I asked a driver about this stop, and I was told I could catch the bus anywhere I see it on Michigan Street. I guess I will find out if that is true when I try it?

poolside 1 year, 8 months ago

I ride the T frequently, and frequently the 6. My problem with the change is that the Michigan stop was an actively used stop and that didn't get taken into consideration. No stop was created on Michigan after the turn because of the flow of traffic. And for some- a two block walk is a difficulty.

mindylogan83 1 year, 8 months ago

The t is a public Transportion.it does not cater to you personally but to the people of Lawrence.if you need something more personal call a cab.

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 8 months ago

Mr Hamm. The T is an experiment. And will continue to be for some time until those who are experimenting. Ride it and understand that a bus route normally has one bus going one direction and another bus passes it going the other direction. One bus going around in circles is not a bus system but rather an empty. T!