Archive for Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Rep. Anthony Brown wins GOP primary for senate’s 3rd District; will face incumbent Holland in November

August 7, 2012

— It was at the 11th hour that Rep. Anthony Brown, of Eudora, and J.C. Tellefson, of Leavenworth, were campaigning in the Republican primary race for the Kansas Senate 3rd District seat.

Both were walking in the Leavenworth County Fair Parade through downtown Tonganoxie about the time polls were closing Tuesday.

Brown, though, will be the only one marching on to the general election.

The state representative took 68 percent of the vote (3,111 to 1,434) with all 43 precincts reporting. The results are unofficial until the state canvasses the votes.

Brown said Tellefson was a “complete gentleman” and ran a clean campaign. He said he plans to approach Tellefson about uniting campaigns later this week.

Tuesday evening, Brown was meeting with supporters about campaign sign locations and other strategies.

As he moves on to face another Leavenworth County Fair participant, incumbent Tom Holland, D-Baldwin City, Brown said job growth was his top priority.

“We have to get back to work,” Brown said. “It doesn’t matter whether it’s Wyandotte or Leavenworth or Douglas counties or somewhere out west — people want jobs and want to get back to work, and that’s what we have to focus on.”

Tellefson said he was disappointed that he, the more moderate choice on the ballot, did not win the election. He’s concerned about what a conservative-controlled House and Senate, as well as a conservative governor, could mean for the state. He pointed to the Affordable Care Act becoming a reality on the national level with a Democrat-controlled House and Senate and Democratic president.

“Now we’ll see how that is in Kansas,” Tellefson said.

As for working with Brown, Tellefson said he would be open to meeting with him but said he would like to focus on his family after a hectic two months of campaigning.

“I think that Anthony has demonstrated he has a huge network of supporters willing to go out and work for him,” Tellefson said.

Brown reported raising $20,875 from Jan. 1 through this past Thursday, while J.C. Tellefson reported raising $2,427 in that span.

— Shawn Linenberger, news editor at The (Tonganoxie) Mirror, can be reached at 913-845-2222.

Comments

bearded_gnome 2 years, 4 months ago

very good news indeed!

we need many more conservatives in the state senate instead of the mooshy moderates.

and, as to Obamacare, we'll get that yanked out by the roots, so that I, and people like me, can survive. yes, I am being deadly serious.

average 2 years, 4 months ago

People have somehow managed to live through the last decade in Massachusetts. I know, it shouldn't be possible. But they have. True story.

Shelley Bock 2 years, 4 months ago

bearded_gnome, what are you specific objections to Obamacare? Interested in finding out what I'm missing or don't understand.

Phoghorn 2 years, 4 months ago

Now let's think about this for a minute. Obamacare means less doctors in the system. Decreased supply and steady demand. Now, pray tell, what do you think will happen to the cost of health care and health insurance. If you said that both will increase, you are correct.

jafs 2 years, 4 months ago

How does the ACA mean less doctors in the system?

It includes a variety of incentives for people to enter the health care field, in fact.

kernal 2 years, 4 months ago

Hepburn, I suspect it's more what he has misunderstood about the act.

Phoghorn 2 years, 4 months ago

Hi Cody, how is the weather in Nigeria? I sure hope y'all are getting some much needed rain.

Fred Mertz 2 years, 4 months ago

Man the conservative agenda resonated across the state.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years, 4 months ago

Anthony Brown is probally the worst Republican to vote for in this election. It is going to kill me to vote for a Democrat, but I have personally had a long chat with Holland. I believe him to be a man of his word and takes more of a middle stance than one from the extreme left.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 4 months ago

Brown shares your political and ideological perspectives 100%. Therefore, your objections must be personal. What'd he do to you?

Jeff Barclay 2 years, 4 months ago

Anthony Brown is a good, honest man. I just think Holland is a good politician. I once engaged Holland in a lengthy, very amiable conversation in my front yard as he was doing a campaign walk, it was a couple of campaigns ago. He got me excited about a school funding related issue, saying, "I am very open to that." Less than a week later during a press conference in response to a question concerning that very issue, Holland basically answered, "Never, not on your life." Nonetheless he had my support. But I have been underwhelmed by Holland's representation. I have tried to be a fan of Holland's. Now I think it is time for Tom Holland to find work outside of Topeka.

StirrrThePot 2 years, 4 months ago

Amen. I remember Brown's words, he does not represent me. I voted for Tellefson yesterday and in November Holland has my vote. These so-called goppers, using their faith as a political vehicle, and Koch money to buy their campaigns and elections do NOT get my vote.

Charlie Dominguez 2 years, 4 months ago

Amen, Amen. Anthony is but a pawn to the Governor. He makes silly statements which goes to show his intelligence. Such as he stated in the House, that God called him to be there. Those who use the Lord's name to promote themselves....beware.

Tom Holland has always represented the constituents of the district; Anthony will represent the ultra-right Governor Brownback agenda with no regard to the people of Kansas.

avoice 2 years, 4 months ago

Tom Holland has always worked to represent his contituents, regardless of party lines. That's as a representative and as a senator. Now, his recent run for governor was a whole different matter. I blame it largely on his campaign management, and probably the fact that he was being "handled" by the Democratic Party, but his gubernatorial campaign was nothing like what we've seen from Holland in the past.

A couple of weeks ago we found a Holland flier on our door. The word "INDEPENDENT" was very prominent across the bottom of the card. Nowhere was the Democratic Party affiliation mentioned. I'm not sure how to take this. As an independent voter, I applaud any candidate who truly is independent. On the other hand, there's a strong possibility that this is sneaky ploy to downplay the Democrat affiliation. If so, then intentional misdirection is very disappointing behavior.

jayhawklawrence 2 years, 4 months ago

Anthony Brown has mentioned that God called him to Topeka to cut programs and he has also come out against funding for Kansas University on at least one occasion.

This is a guy whose goal in life is to become the perfect Koch conservative and who is happy to scold the people of Lawrence for having a "bad attitude", whatever that means.

If we allow this guy to be elected and have power over our communities, it would make all of us here in Lawrence extremely uncomfortable. This is a guy who actually hates Lawrence.

Believe it or not.