City commissioners are set to approve a $1.14 million bid to repave Sixth Street from Iowa Street to Monterey Way.
Lawrence-based Sunflower Paving submitted the low bid. The project will include two inches of new pavement on the road and several new turning lanes. The project will include an eastbound right-turn lane at Sixth and Kasold, a westbound bus turnout lane on Sixth Street just west of Schwarz Road, and a widening of Sixth Street between Rockledge and Iowa to provide a center turn lane for the Hampton Inn property. Work is expected to begin on the project in early summer.
• 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Study session on city budget.
• 6:35 p.m. City Commission meeting begins.
• Proclaim May 6 – 12, 2012 as RISE Phoenix Week.
• Proclaim the month of May 2012 as Mental Health Month.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from 04/10/12.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions:
• Approve all claims.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the City Clerk’s Office.
• Approve appointments as recommended by the Mayor.
• Bid and purchase items:
a.) Award bid for Project No. PW1201, 6th Street, Monterey Way to Iowa Street, KLINK Project, to Sunflower Paving, Inc., in the amount of $1,144,208,62.
b.) Award the bid for Bid Number B1221, Project UT1204CS Pump Station PS43 Pump Replacement, to the low bidder, Tedrow Construction, L.L.C., in the amount of $23,965 and authorize the City Manager to execute the contract.
c.) Award the construction contract for Bid No. B1222, project UT1104DS Wimbledon Drive (from Inverness Drive to the west line of the Alvamar Golf Course property) Watermain Replacement to the low bidder Westland Construction in the amount of $411,985.35 and authorize the City Manager to execute the contract.
d) Authorize the purchase of fume hood equipment for the Bioscience and Technology Business Center expansion facility, 4950 Research Parkway, in the amount of $21,853.39, from Fisher Scientific.
e.) Authorize the City Manager to execute an engineering services agreement with Professional Engineering Consultants for design phase engineering services in the amount of $84,651 for project UT1105DS, 2012-2013 Watermain Relocation Program.
f.) Authorize City Manager to enter into an agreement with Landplan Engineering for engineering design services for the 6th and Iowa Geometric Improvements project in the amount of $72,000.
• Adopt on second and final reading, Ordinance No. 8729, allowing possession and consumption of alcoholic liquor on certain public right-of-way in conjunction with Arts Center Final Friday event, Art Tougeau Parade After Party and the Replay Spring Into Summer event on May 25 and May 26.
• Approve a request by Lawrence 360 Church to install artificial turf as part of its new infant and toddler playground area.
• Accept 2011 Report on Tax Abatements and Economic Development incentives, as approved by the Public Incentives Review Committee on April 24.
• Receive city manager’s report.
• Consider approving Site Plan, SP-3-24-12, for a sidewalk hospitality area for Burger Stand at the Casbah Restaurant to be located at 801-803 Massachusetts Street (submitted by Paul Werner Architects for David and Susan Millstein and Round Corner Inv. LLC, property owners of record) and consider approving sidewalk dining and hospitality license. The sidewalk dining area will be located on the west side (covered alley area).
• Consider the following items related to the North Mass Development project:
a.) Consider a Comprehensive Plan Amendment, CPA-11-8-11, to Chapter 6 of Horizon 2020 to expand the identified boundaries of Downtown Lawrence to accommodate a proposed mixed use project known as the North Mass Development. The request includes a proposal to exempt the proposed North Mass Development from the current requirement that individual stores in the Downtown Commercial Center have a maximum footprint of no more than 25,000 square feet.
b.) Consider a request to rezone, Z-12-29-11, approximately 1.38 acres from IG (General Industrial) and CS (Commercial Strip) to CD (Downtown Commercial), located at 401 & 415 North 2nd Street.
c) Consider a request to rezone, Z-12-30-11, approximately 2.14 acres from IG (General Industrial) to CD (Downtown Commercial), located at 0 & 100 Lincoln Street and 151 & 100 Perry Street.
d) Consider a request to rezone, Z-12-32-11, approximately .83 acres from IG (General Industrial) and CS (Commercial Strip) to CD (Downtown Commercial), located at 409 & 501 North 2nd Street.
e) Consider a request to rezone, Z-12-33-11, approximately .34 acres from OS (Open Space) and CS (Commercial Strip) to CD (Downtown Commercial), located at 300, 311, & 317 North 2nd Street.
f) Consider a request to rezone, Z-12-34-11, approximately 1.61 acres from IG (General Industrial) to CD (Downtown Commercial), located at 139 Perry Street, 505 North 2nd Street & 141 Maple Street.
g) Consider a request to rezone, Z-12-35-11, approximately .55 acres from IG (General Industrial) to CD (Downtown Commercial), located at 133 Perry Street.
h.) Consider a request to rezone, Z-12-36-11, approximately 1.38 acres from IG (General Industrial) to CD (Downtown Commercial), located at 600 North 1st Street, Block 3.
• Consider adopting Resolution No. 6969, authorizing the Mayor to execute Agreement No. 12-12 with the Kansas Department of Transportation for the construction of improvements to K-10 (South Lawrence Trafficway) and the construction of 31st Street from Haskell Avenue to O’Connell Road.
• Receive presentation from the Kansas Department of Transportation on for the construction of an interchange at the intersection of Bob Billings Parkway and K-10 Highway.