Letters to the Editor

Helpful teen

April 26, 2012

To the editor:

Last week, my husband and I experienced a modern day “Good Samaritan” act.  We are in our 80s and we monitor the bluebird trail at the Rotary Arboretum.  Monitoring consists of taking a census and getting rid of wasps, ants and sparrows.

On the day in question we had almost completed the trail when my husband’s legs gave out. At first he sat on one of the markers for the trees and then he tried to walk down the sidewalk. At that time, two or three adults in their 20s to 40s walked by with their eyes on their feet. They had to have seen that we were in trouble.

A little later a teenage couple walked by and spoke to us, and when my husband fell the young man came running. After much difficulty, he got my husband into the car and wanted to follow us home to be sure I could get him out of the car. We told him that he didn’t need to do that. We had neighbors who could help or his legs would work by then. He was insistent but we wouldn’t allow it.

We were so touched by his assistance and his willingness to go the “second mile” that we are glad that we live in Lawrence with so many fine teenagers like the young man who helped us.

Comments

its_just_math 3 years ago

"...two or three adults in their 20s to 40s walked by with their eyes on their feet."

Mrs. Freitag, they were probably late 20's/early 30's. This makes them part of the "millenial" generation. They are only concerned with themselves and are a large chunk of the "gimme gimme gimme" crowd. I'm not suprised they kept their eyes down and kept walking. Afterall, what was in it for them? These "adults" as you so generously refer to them as are almost surely Obama voters, btw.

mom_of_three 3 years ago

because everyone wear's their politics on their sleeve? yeah, I agree with Jesse - grow up.

SnakeFist 3 years ago

Someone does a good deed and you spin the story to attack Obama. I pity you and your miserable, hate-filled life.

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

He's paid political operative. He's only doing his job as a Sock Puppet.

bad_dog 3 years ago

Typical 3rd grader's defense to getting pantsed in front of the classroom. Good to see you acknowledge that's how you get your jollies.

JayhawksandHerd 3 years ago

Yes, too bad they weren't "compassionate conservatives." Then they could have proclaimed it was "God's will" that the husband's legs had given out while doing nothing to help him.

Or, perhaps some people simply aren't very considerate. Still not sure what that has to do with politics.

Phoghorn 3 years ago

goodcountrypeople will be on here in 3...2...1... to criticize these teenagers for street harrassment...

verity 3 years ago

Mrs Freitag, thanks for the shout out about "kids today." I, too, have had many young people come to my aid when they saw me struggling with something---even the pre-teen neighbor kids.

For you posters who respond to the trolls, as evidenced this morning by one who I won't dignify with a name, they only come here to distract and annoy. By responding, you reward their sickness and waste your time.

verity 3 years ago

Yeah, and we all know how well that works out.

verity 3 years ago

Some people may just be hesitant to interfere. I've been told by a handicapped person to not rush to help her open doors, etc., because then she loses the ability to do things for herself. My father didn't like people trying to help him when he lost balance and fell because often they didn't know how and just made it worse. I usually watch to see if a person actually needs help and then ask if I can help.

tbaker 3 years ago

Thats a good story. Thank you Mrs. Freitag. I'm glad to know we still have young people like the one who helped you.