Archive for Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Parking problem

April 25, 2012

To the editor:

Well, I see the City Commission, in its infinite wisdom, has done it again. I’m referring to the no RV parking near South Park. You did manage to run off two individuals who didn’t quite fit Larryville’s definition of normal, but what else might you have done? Let me ask you this. Where am I supposed to park when I come downtown? I do that more infrequently than you know. I drive a 22-foot motor home, and that’s the only area near downtown I can find where it’s legal and reasonably easy to park.

Now I can understand you don’t care about them or me, but what about the travelers in motor homes and RVs passing through Lawrence who don’t want to park at Walmart, unhitch their vehicle — if they even tow one — then drive back to downtown. Once again not a great loss, but a loss. Don’t you think this action won’t make the rounds of the MH/RV community? “Don’t try to park near downtown Lawrence. There’s nothing available for you.”

Yep, gotta give you guys credit; you hit your self right in the foot with this move.

Comments

Jane 1 year, 11 months ago

South Park is looking beautiful these days, now that I can actually see it.

gccs14r 1 year, 11 months ago

Last couple of days dude with the trailer was parked on Delaware in front of Hobbs Park.

Hudson Luce 1 year, 11 months ago

That's the lot which is at the northern end of New York Street. There's even an elevator people can ride to get up to street level, and I'm pretty sure it's handicap-accessible.

Hudson Luce 1 year, 11 months ago

There's a simple solution - park the RV in the lower City Hall parking lot. Lots of room, it's out of the way, and it's a short walk to Mass Ave.

Steven Gaudreau 1 year, 11 months ago

The reasoning behind the law is the city does not want a bunch a crappy looking rv's lining our streets and I agree. This law might impact .01% while the dumpy looking rv's impacted hundreds by not enjoying the park and impacted the perception of our town to out of town guests.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 11 months ago

Has anybody seen my bucket? I was doing some organic recycling in it....

Richard Heckler 1 year, 11 months ago

In fact I believe they were abiding by the existing law of moving every few days.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 11 months ago

John Hamm has it right on the money.

The new ordinance is unfriendly to senior citizens who do spend a lot of time running about the country. Not all tow another vehicle just in case.

People passing through town won't be aware of this ordinance. In fact may feel safe spending a night or two at this location. I've seen RV"s and such parked in the downtown St Louis business district.

The two that the law was pointed at.... what crimes did they commit while parked there?

Katara 1 year, 11 months ago

Why would you want to drive an RV downtown?

FalseHopeNoChange 1 year, 12 months ago

"Larryville" is touted as a retirement destination. Just don't bring your RV Gramps. Get a rickshaw and pull Granny downtown. Or, you can get some tenny runners and jog downtown.

swampyankee 1 year, 12 months ago

If you call someone an idiot because they drive an RV you are an a%%%ho** none of your business Raving Bare

rockchalker52 1 year, 12 months ago

Eet ees, funny, seesco, la temperatura, she reaches 90 & personas get all caliente under the cuello.

dude needs to keep his twerpy roller house away from the park.

Floyd Craig 1 year, 12 months ago

I Can see them parking for an hour or 2 but not 24 / 7 thats so dumb and looks so bad plus they are very ugly mh/ rv's uh a trailor inclosed

somedude20 1 year, 12 months ago

“The body is God’s temple, and too many cheeseburgers messes up the temple…” 1 Corinthians 6

I hope they serve cheeseburgers in hell!

Ragingbear 1 year, 12 months ago

If you drive an RV as your primary vehicle, you are just an idiot. With the money spent on gas in a month, you can buy a nice used car and have it paid off in 6 months. Or get a scooter, which is ideal for Lawrence downtown, and pay less than 3 grand for a new one.

Pywacket 1 year, 12 months ago

Maybe you should research the actual regulations before shooting your mouth off. How's that for an elitist, liberal response?

gccs14r 1 year, 12 months ago

My understanding is that oversize vehicle parking is prohibited only on Mass south of 11th, along South Park St, and along Vermont next to the park. There is other parking nearby, whether on Vermont, or New Hampshire, or maybe in the cop shop lot.

jman785 1 year, 12 months ago

More uneducated ramblings... Of course you can still park there. The only stipulation is you have to be gone within 48 hours. Staying put for 3-5 months is not going to work there any longer.

OonlyBonly 1 year, 12 months ago

Ah the responses I expected: 1) Don't own an automobile 2) Doesn't run after 8:00pm or on holidays or Sunday 3) Not as I read it 4) Yes, I am. Targeting two individuals parking per city regulations then prohibiting others from being able to park there 5) And your point is? Lawrence "Liberals" Ya gotta love 'em in their (um can't quite come up with the correct word here) I'll just leave it open but suggest it doesn't refer to an abundance of intelligence.

akt2 1 year, 12 months ago

I think someone has relocated their RV to the parking lot behind the old Borders store. It's there every day.

JackMcKee 1 year, 12 months ago

You can still park there, you just can't camp there.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 12 months ago

Take the empT it always has plenty of room.

skinny 1 year, 12 months ago

Guess now you'll be forced to use your car, hmmm.