Archive for Sunday, April 22, 2012

Scared Kansans?

April 22, 2012

To the editor:

I was surprised to read the Brownback statement in the April 12 paper: “The public is scared now. They are scared for the future of their country.” How could Sam grow up in Kansas and not know that you can’t scare Kansans? He must not have met my father or others of his generation who persevered through the Depression and the Dust Bowl. As for my generation, we’re nobody’s fool. Brownback’s tactic — if you scare people enough you can get them to do anything — is embarrassingly transparent.

Fortunately, we see legislators pushing back, including within the Republican Party, saying, “Not so fast!” Maybe we shouldn’t erode our tax base, or further cripple our schools or shortchange our public servants. Maybe we shouldn’t cut services for the elderly and the most vulnerable. Maybe it is in the interest of our state to encourage the arts and promote creativity in our young. At a minimum, our representatives are saying, if you’re going to make sweeping changes, don’t rush, let’s think it through.

In the next two years, Brownback may discover that Kansans are not such an easy mark. Kansans are wonderfully fearless, practical and stubborn. We tend to believe in a couple other adages. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” and “don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.”

Comments

tbaker 1 year, 12 months ago

Cripple schools? Look at per-student spending over the last 40 years and chart that line against performance on standardized testing. Look at the percentage of 9th graders who actually graduate HS. We are spending more than we ever had on schools and the kids are quitting school and/or getting dumber in far greater percentages than we have ever seen.

Short change public servants? Compare salary and benefits of the average state or federal employee to the that of the private sector. Which sector of the economy has steadily hired and promoted their employees throughout the recession?

Erode the tax base? Compare what happened to the revenue collected per capita and the size of the "tax base" of states with high tax burdens to those with low tax burdens. Compare what has happened in California and Texas in the last 5 years.

Wise up Ms. Black. Despite it's frequent use here, demagoguery is not a substitute for the rational examination of the facts.

Mike Ford 2 years ago

those were the days before Truman integrated the military in 1948 and forced the Dixiecrat racist southerners to eventually become Republicans by 1980. Remember John Stennis, Orville Faubus, Strom Thurmond, Jesse Helms, and George Wallace? nice to know the skeletons in the GOP closet can be identified by Democrats. Oh they were so tough....tough like my devil ex grandfather who was at Guadalcanal and came home with ptsd and spent the next 55 years wrecking his family and driving my grandmother and mother to death in a year and a half period. Oh yes....he was from that period of alleged toughness and went archie bunker the rest of his life on his family watching fox touting racist stuff to offend people....just like people on here.....and again what toughness were you talking about????

its_just_math 2 years ago

Armstrong says:

"Our clueless leader governs ( for lack of a better word ) the country by fear, impending doom and gloom, and the sky is falling mentality. The fear is another 4 years of this walking disaster in the White House."

With all due respect Armstrong, you're on the right track but a little clarification is needed if I may be so bold sir: his actions, not his words are spreading fear. But he does spread lies and propaganda non-stop 24/7 about his opposition, whomever that may be. Listening to Obama's Minister of Propaganda, Jay Carney, requires total suspension of disbelief---to borrow a phrase from Hillary Clinton.

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years ago

ivalueamerica

(I worry for the future of our country sometimes, not from Al Quada, not from Communism or socialism, but from weak failed Americans such as yourself who have lost sight of what it means to be in a country such as our.)

{{{namaste}}}

You're talking about "old america". That was back in the days when you and I were in the military. I tell you. That 25th infantry was tough. Was your unit tough?

What branch were you in?

This is the "New America" now. Things have been "transformed". Wealth has been "spread".

Don't you just "hope and change" for the "old america" around the time we served in the military?

My, my. Those were the days.

Lawrence Morgan 2 years ago

Thank you for your letter and for your putting it so well, Elizabeth Black!

its_just_math 2 years ago

Is SB from California or New York? He deifinitely is not from Kansas because Kansas would never ever ever voted for him. We need a good Kanas pedigree back again, like Sebelius.

Those who voted for SB must be transplants. Those who live, eat, sleep and breathe hating SB must be Kansas-born.

mutualrespect37 2 years ago

Kansans certainly do strike me as unflappable--to the point of lacking any reasonable caution and being completely and offensively blind to the interior lives of others. People's spirits matter most to them, and someday when more Kansans learn this lesson perhaps they will stop approaching complete strangers in aggressive , unwelcome ways for discriminatory reasons. They will stop forcing their backwoods values on thinking people. People who interpret sensitivity as paranoia obviously need a lot of help with their brains and social skills.

Mike Ford 2 years ago

tell my US Government and History teachers and the textbook for that matter that laissez faire was a myth? you're just a liberatarian mythlican yourself trying to turn history on it's head just like the gop.

camper 2 years ago

"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself."

The one thing that has always made the Repulican Party repulsive to me is there endless reserve of fear that they continue to spread and campaign on. When I look back at history, some of the most reprehensible players have been those practicioners of this sort of demagoguery. They usually turn out to be the evil ones to boot.

It seems like now we are going through some of the same ole stuff from the fifties. Instead of bunkers we have preppers. And as always we are afraid of the commies (moreso Socialism now). Sure there is healthy fear, but not the sort spewed by politicians.

Bob Dylan said it good in "Let Me Die in my Footsteps"

Mike Ford 2 years ago

no....liberty....you defend crooks who've been called crooks since I took US History in high school and college in the 1980's. How do YOU turn US History on it's head and make abandoning farmers in the early 1920's, the Teapot Dome Scandal, and Laissez Faire economic policies and the opposition to US involvement which led to Germany being wrongly entirely blamed for WW I when it was Serbia and Austro-Hungary that started that war....better yet explain isolationism and Henry Cabot Lodge?

observant 2 years ago

Without fear tactics, no GOP/Teabagger could ever get elected. After all, they can only appeal to the totally ignorant fearful people.

Mike Ford 2 years ago

fear......FDR stated to the US after the three stooges named Harding, Coolidge, and Hoover, that "We have nothing to fear but fear itself". I wonder if the history deficient GOP people realize their unhinged capitalism led to "Black Friday" in 1929 and Bank Hollidays in the early 1930's with people running on banks to withdraw their monies. I read in a book I have on USVP Charles Curtis where he and Hoover tried to use fearmongering to say that only they could get the US out of that mess and yet they had a couple of years and did nothing playing the fear card to fend off FDR. Fear controls simple people just like religion does. Why does the GOP use fear and religion as political tools? because it works with the simpler people on here. You can't fool a minister's kid whose lived in parts of this country that function off of nothing but hailfire, brimstone, and fear (The South). Why does the GOP say no so often to Mr. Obama? they fear someone fixing their mess. Why does Paul Ryan sell the budget nonsense he does? because he feels compelled to drag people away from a solution as quickly as possible using fear. I've survived and paid off $14K in card debt in three years.....I've survived losing $200 a month off of my paycheck for a year now sticking to a budget I've had since 1992. How was this possible? I didn't buy into the paralyzing fear the GOP sells. Does the GOP have a positive message......no......does the GOP care about people..... no.....is ketchup a vegetable in a school lunch? no...the Reagan administration said yes....Did former Reagan cabinet member David Stockman call supply side trickle down economics lunacy on Maher and previously on radio? yes. Does one actually expect a greedy person to share more if given more to distribute by the GOP? let's ask Michael Milken.....let's ask Donald Trump....let's ask Neal Bush.....let's ask Charles Keating or Jack Abramov....how many more greedy republicans do you want me to list????

Armstrong 2 years ago

" if you scare people enough you can get them to do anything — is embarrassingly transparent."

Brownback merely borrowed a page ripped straight out of the Obama playbook. Our clueless leader governs ( for lack of a better word ) the country by fear, impending doom and gloom, and the sky is falling mentality. The fear is another 4 years of this walking disaster in the White House.

Kansas are not the only ones who should be scared by inept " leadership ? "

geekin_topekan 2 years ago

Whatever happened to that cat named Marion?

overplayedhistory 2 years ago

....Kansans are wonderfully fearless, practical and stubborn. We tend to believe in a couple other adages. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” and “don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.”....

Yet 70% voted for this yahoo, who was as transparent of a shill 3 years ago as he is today. So maybe you should add too fat and lazy to do their research, to the that list of attributes.

I think the Kansans you are referring to are long gone, this group would of ran Eisenhower himself out of the state and party.

rtwngr 2 years ago

Obama has been overheard saying lots of crap. He should be thrown out of office on his a$$ after the next general election. You people just don't get it. We have turned into an entitlement society. Barack Obama wants me to be more concerned with how Mitt Romney made his money rather than how Obama spends mine.

Michael LoBurgio 2 years ago

cato_the_elder
George Bush was overheard saying "It's all my fault, but thanks for blaming the black guy"

George Bush's 4 unpaid initiatives; Afghan War Iraq War Medicare Part D
Bush Tax Cuts. Pay Down the Debt.

Why does the twitter account @DemocratsDGofKS keeps getting hacked by gop teaparty watchdog groups?

cato_the_elder 2 years ago

Governor Brownback is right. Many Americans are scared right now, and if they aren't they should be. Barack Obama has racked up over $5 trillion of debt, more than all of his predecessors combined. We're on the precipice of going the way of the PIGS (Portugal, Italy, Greece and Spain) through irresponsible deficit spending, which must be stopped at the ballot box this November by ridding ourselves of Obama and as many other liberal Democrats as we can.

What is perhaps even scarier than the irresponsibility of Obama and his ilk, however, is the fact that this letter writer doesn't even get what Brownback (and many others) have been saying. Uninformed, naive, gullible voters like the letter writer are the ones who put Obama into office in the first place.

Kookamooka 2 years ago

I wonder if he is just "transferring" his fear onto us. Every time I hear him talk he sounds like a crazy person.

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years ago

I'm scared of "Larryvillagers". They are frightening bipeds that consume theirs and everyone else's resources.

I propose a "Candle Light" vigil to foment "Larryville" secession from the state.

pace 2 years ago

I really hated Brownback saw us Americans as scared, I hated he thought that is what we are. I felt ashamed and offended, but I thought It was just an anomaly. I am not a coward. Like my parent, grandparents and theirs, I find life hard work and worth it.