Archive for Monday, April 9, 2012

KU sees rise in applicants from China, India

April 9, 2012

As colleges and universities across the country report an uptick in the numbers of applications they’re getting from international students, Kansas University is no exception.

Nationally, schools are seeing more and more applications from China, according to a report from the Council of Graduate Schools.

Nationwide, this fall’s applications from that country are up 18 percent for master’s and doctoral programs from a year ago, the report showed.

KU, however, is seeing a higher percentage increase from India, said Thomas Heilke, dean of graduate studies at KU.

Applications for graduate study from India increased 20 percent from this time a year ago. China went up, too, but by 7.4 percent. Charlie Bankart, assistant vice provost for international programs, said China still is far and away the country that sends the most international students to campus, making the percentages a little deceiving.

“Your base is that much higher,” he said.

India has had 270 students apply in 2012, while China had 872. Both countries have increasing populations and a growing middle class, Bankart said.

In China, however, a different family structure, with families limited to having only one child, can mean it’s easier for those children to attend school overseas with grandparents, aunts and uncles helping out.

“That whole network is able to leverage their funds collectively to provide a student with the funds to get an education that will change their life,” Bankart said.

Heilke said KU’s overall increase in graduate international applications — up 9 percent from last year — is right in line with the national average, as cited in the Council of Graduate Students report. Much of the uptick is in the sciences, particularly in the life sciences, he said.

Bankart said KU is seeking to increase its graduate and undergraduate enrollment of international students.

Some new measures are being put in place, including an effort to reach out to international students with information about application deadlines and other details, instead of simply responding to emailed questions.

Other programs currently under review for international students include an orientation program and a program to offer additional academic support in the students’ first year, Bankart said.

“We’re hoping these students are going to get their (bachelor’s degrees) and think about KU for graduate school,” he said.

KU’s School of Law is also involved in recruiting international students.

Law Dean Stephen Mazza said the school operates a two-year program ending in a juris doctorate degree, designed for students who already have earned a law degree in their home country.

Mazza said the law school has not had a focus on China but has tried to step up its recruitment efforts with law schools in other countries.

The law school is not trying to expand the program beyond its current levels of eight to 10 students, Mazza said. The students come to the law school from all over the world, he said.

“We feel that the international students enrich the classroom,” he said. “But we don’t want to overwhelm the classroom.”

Comments

LJD230 2 years, 6 months ago

And an undergraduate student body that was recruited from and represented ALL of the United States might enrich the reputation of the university. It ain't rocket science. If you want to be a "national" university of some prestige, you gotta have a student body that more adequately puts the national in national.

Jack Martin 2 years, 6 months ago

KU has students from all 50 states, plus DC and Puerto Rico. This is in addition to enrolling students from all 105 Kansas counties and more than 100 nations.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 2 years, 6 months ago

KU recruits? Back in the day, I was recruited by a few universities, a couple of them with broad name recognition. Since I lived in the area, I considered KU. The attitude I received from them was cavalier. Returned to the area a few years ago and decided to take a few courses and the attitude I saw was basically the same despite the fact that I had a couple of decades experience and notable accomplishments in the industry, even was serving as an IAB member. At least I had the chance to share some practical experience with some of the grad students there.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 2 years, 6 months ago

BTW, I was not recruited by KU. The only offer was a academic scholarship (a meager % off of tuition for finishing in the top of my graduating class similar to all of the other schools that weren't making more significant offers).

usnsnp 2 years, 6 months ago

What should be also looked at is how much money does China and Indian governments contribute to each of their students to get this education. While here in the United States thers are some in the government that want to cut money from programs that help people go to college.

bd 2 years, 6 months ago

I am glad my hard earned tax $'s are going towards educating non-Kansans!

Jack Martin 2 years, 6 months ago

Out-of-state and international students pay non-resident tuition, which more than covers the cost of their education. In fact, it helps subsidize the education of students from Kansas.

mdlund0 2 years, 6 months ago

Right... and what of the federal grant money that supports their research? GRADUATE students from China and India don't end up in English, Journalism, and Philosophy; they end up in Chemistry, Math, Mechanical Engineering, etc (i.e. hard sciences). Those disciplines require substantial amounts of grant money from the NSF, NIH, DOE, DOD, etc to fund the research that will actually allow them to acquire their degree. As far as I'm concerned, those are our tax dollars going to fund the education of not only non-Kansans, but foreign nationals of borderline enemy states.

Sean Livingstone 2 years, 6 months ago

mdlund0, I'm sure you know not many students from the US want to pursue graduate degrees...... the answer to you is... we're trying to hard to recruit Americans.... and I often give them the money first.. but if I have a grant and no one wants it... it has to go to someone from overseas.

mdlund0 2 years, 6 months ago

And in so doing you suppress the rate of compensation for graduate students to the point where graduate studies are not only unattractive, but unthinkable for an American exiting their undergraduate career with a pile of student loan debt. What's a stipend in Electrical Engineering going for these days? $20k/yr? Somewhere around 1/3 of a starting salary in industry? I'm just guessing. I can't attract an American to do my dirty work for the meager wages that I'm offering, so instead of upping the stipend and educating an American with tax-payer dollars I just import some cheap help? Doesn't matter as long as I generate the publications and Ph.D.s necessary to get tenure. The consequences of that decision process are far-reaching and not yet realized.

Sean Livingstone 2 years, 6 months ago

mdlund0, if you are going to look at how much you'll be paid now versus how much you can do with your life.... you're going to lose out. Funding is determined by the funding agencies, and I get what I can, but it's all about productivity. Considering your degree will be paid, and you get a stipend and your insurance paid, that's quite a lot. It costs me at least $37,000 to fund a graduate student, and employ a bunch of undergraduates to support them. Thus, a $100,000 project can support 1 graduate student and 2-3 undergraduate students (49% gone to the university, which is pretty reasonable).

Meagre pay? Well, considering the future prospect with that doctoral degree.... it's the same sad story... everywhere... I have several international students sacrificing lucrative pay just to pursue a graduate degree with me. What has the mentality of American dream gone? Yes... to the International Students. Ask yourself....

I know some MIT students get $2,300 a month... not even enough to pay for an apartment in Boston... yet it's MIT. Also, graduate students ain't dirty work.... And for your information... I only get one extra month of summer salary, for every $100,000 I get... that meagre considering the amount of effort I put into the project. If you want to calculate everything in life.... Facebook, Microsoft, Berkshire Heathaway would never have happened.... think before you question.. :)

mdlund0 2 years, 6 months ago

This isn't really about you in particular, this is about what American tax-dollars are going to pay for, but let's go ahead anyway. You're combining American tax-payer dollars with cheap foreign labor to advance your career. Somehow I don't think that you taking home a slightly larger paycheck and getting promoted while exporting intellectual talent to China was exactly what the American public has in mind when it allotted $8 billion to the NSF last year.

"... but it's all about productivity." Yea, for you. YOUR productivity so that YOU can get tenure, get promoted, become a fellow of the whatever society, etc. This is why YOU are the problem, because you're using tax-payer dollars to advance your career instead of sacrificing some 'productivity' to develop American intellectual talent. Good to know our dollars are being well spent.

"I get what I can" Would you change they way you do things if you got more? I doubt it. The status quo is doing pretty well for you, it seems.

Sean Livingstone 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm sure you're using a computer that's made in China.. right? And you're driving to work in a car that has components made in other countries.. right? And you're benefiting from these cheap products imported from overseas... and of course.... the road you drive on.. come from overseas oil... and you might be working in a job that involved overseas labors and products... of course... but you don't want to blame yourself... welcome to the world of academia.... where Americans go to Europe and Asia for education and degrees, and overseas students come to the US... if you still want to close your mind... just lock yourself in your house.. and don't take up any jobs. Enjoy!

Sean Livingstone 2 years, 6 months ago

The last time I checked.... a GRA salary is 1,700 per month including all benefits for only 20 hours per week (half-time). That translate to $40,800 per year, plus tuition ($8,000 here at KU), which is nearly $50,000 if it's a full time job. Not bad dude... we didn't underpay any graduate students. Good luck with your radical view.

Sean Livingstone 2 years, 6 months ago

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 years, 6 months ago

Make sure that the University starts to offer a course in Mandarin Chinese for the American students. They will need to know the language when we complete selling our country, our heritage and our souls to the Chinese buying their cheap crap that we cannot seem to produce for ourselves.

yourworstnightmare 2 years, 6 months ago

The sad fact is that many domestic students do not want to pursue advanced degrees in the "hard sciences" or are not adequately prepared for such education.

Yes, I am saying that in some cases KU does a poor job of preparing students for advanced studies in the hard sciences. Too many general education requirements, and too many non-rigorous alternatives in math and physics, especially for biology majors.

Advanced education and research in the hard sciences is, well, hard. Many domestic students are averse to difficulty and hard work and delayed pay-off.

Sad but true.

jonas_opines 2 years, 6 months ago

It's not a day at the ljworld that we can't be scared and angry at the furinners