Letters to the Editor

Serving up hate

April 8, 2012

To the editor:

So this gay man, a lesbian woman and a conservative lawmaker walk into a Lawrence bar. “What’ll you have?” asks the barkeep. The gay man says, “I’ll have liberty, freedom and a side of non-discrimination.” The lesbian woman says, “I’ll have what he’s having, but with a side of compassion.” The lawmaker says, “I’ll have a shot of homophobia mixed with a squeeze of hate and a bale of biblical cherry-picking on the side, just in case I need to explain myself.”

The bartender says, “Hey, I thought this was supposed to be a joke.” “Not if you have any self-respect,” says the lesbian woman. “Not if you understand what ‘Free State’ means,” says the gay man. The bartender looks at the lawmaker and says, “We don’t serve your kind here.”

Comments

Peacemaker452 2 years ago

So this member of the productive portion of our society, a member of the unproductive portion of our society and a liberal politician walk into a bank. “How can I help you?” asks the teller. The first person says, “I would like to deposit this money, as it is the fruit of my labor and I will use it to provide for myself and my family.” The second person says, “I would like to deposit this money, as it was given to me by the politician and I will use it for whatever I want since it cost me nothing.” The politician says, “Take half of the first person’s deposit, give a quarter to the second person, and give the rest to me.” The teller says, “Hey, why are you stealing the productive guys money?” and the politician replies, “It is not stealing since a large group of the second person’s friends all voted to say it was OK.”

equalaccessprivacy 2 years ago

Lawrence is full of harassment. Creepy Lawrence men will even bother you after dark when any sane and considerate person knows that would be scary and unnerving. People from southern-influenced and lower Midwestern cultures have been raised with an offensive sense of entitlement. They are too clueless to realize that patronizing attitudes undermine respect and equality under the law.

Fossick 2 years ago

“We don’t serve your kind here.”

I just love it how all the people who allegedly abhor discrimination in other threads celebrate it in this one. It's almost enough to make one conclude that it's not discrimination which is really at issue...

Abdu Omar 2 years ago

Aren't you gus sick of this topic? I am. But post on, you want to pour out your venom, go for it.

Abdu Omar 2 years ago

booyalab 2 years ago

There are two people I don't like in this world......the intolerant and conservative lawmakers

ivalueamerica 2 years ago

Racist and bigots need to learn that racism is not a point of view, it is a psychopathic behavior, an illness that is a threat. Today a racist told me he is afraid and ashamed to spout his views in public and that made him angry as though his freedom was being breached. I explained to him that free speech does NOT mean freedom from responsibility for what one says. I told him that he should be just as scared as a rapist or child molester in advocating their behaviors.

jafs 2 years ago

Generally speaking, the rights that are being sought by minorities are the same rights that are and have been available to the majority for a long time.

This is true whether we're discussing women, black folks, gay people, etc.

When women sought the right to vote, men already had it.

When black people sought the right to be free from slavery, white people already had it.

When gay people seek the right to marry one they love, straight people already have it.

As a straight white male, I have all of those rights, and wouldn't begrudge them to anyone else - why shouldn't others have the same rights I do?

oletimer 2 years ago

I wish i had half the rights these other "groups" demand. Bottom line is they will never be happy with what they have. Always demanding more. You picked your choice. Live with it, or change your lifestyle. Don't expect the rest of us to feel sorry for you.

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years ago

I dont "hate" gays. But, I do "hate" people that sexually harass me. Even a "look" at my nethers is "harassment".

bisky1 2 years ago

hey chuck, get a life

jafs 2 years ago

Two blondes walk into a building...you'd think at least one of them would have seen it.

Apologies to any who are offended.

weeslicket 2 years ago

The bartender looks at the lawmaker and says, “We don’t serve your kind here.”

(because the barkeep's freedom of religious belief is protected)

Flap Doodle 2 years ago

Two straw men and a walking hyperbole walk into a bar.....

its_just_math 2 years ago

Did they walk into the bar as a group or individually?

Brock Masters 2 years ago

So it is okay for the bartender to discriminate against the legislator?

Abdu Omar 2 years ago

I am sick of this topic. We have bashed the gays, the gay haters and everyone in between. Can't we just get along?

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years ago

Drinks for the house! Bothe sides "Barkeep"

btw, My Lesbian associates prefer to drink with my straight associates than my Gay associates and "vice versa". Don't know why. Just sayin'.

Apparently, "hate" is "hate" and "hate" begets "hate".