Letters to the Editor

Porching charge

April 3, 2012

To the editor:

As threatened, on April 1, my daily Journal-World, which has for the last five years always appeared on my porch, suddenly appeared at the far end of my driveway. I was curious whether this would happen, as it was unclear whether “guaranteed porch delivery” meant “we’ll work hard to make sure you get porch delivery” or the veiled threat “you are guaranteed to not get your newspaper on your porch, unless you cough up 50 percent more a month.” As I expected, it was the latter.

Walking down my block Monday morning, seeing the sidewalk newly strewn with newspapers, I could only think “Thank you, Journal World, for making it that much harder for your elderly and disabled customers to retrieve their papers and for exploiting a new opportunity to gouge your loyal subscribers.”

I don’t mind if you’re a company that provides a new service in exchange for an additional charge. That’s fair. But the Journal-World has taken a new tack: “We won’t increase our customer service level and ask you to pay for it. Instead, we’ll DECREASE our level of service and make you pay more in order to regain it!” Congratulations, I can only imagine the high-fives in the marketing department the day that brilliant idea was hatched.

I look forward to the next phase of ratcheting down your customer service level: Will you supply the newspaper, but only in secret code form, easily deciphered with a decoder available for an additional monthly fee?

Comments

Fossick 2 years ago

World ends, elderly and disabled hardest hit.

annac 2 years ago

I signed up by phone for porch delivery. Due to age and ailments, I've had this delivery for a while by agreement with my newspaper carrier through LJW, so I thought this simply meant LJW would pay the carrier more. What happened, however, is that the newspaper is being left at the end of driveway, near the street. A neighbor told me the carrier did not know where my house was ! I could not reach a live person by phone, tried several times, left messages for the circulation manager, had no reply. This is a mess. I would like my old carrier back but can't connect with LJW.

Mike Ford 2 years ago

I delivered the Manhattan Mercury in the 1980's when I lived there. I once got three stitches in my chin because I looked back on my moped to make sure the paper hit the porch and slid into a parked vehicle. I very sure these lazy people won't exert anywhere near that dedication in their extortion tactics/

Lawrence Morgan 2 years ago

I agree completely with none2.

none2 2 years ago

I think some of you are being a bit harsh. The World Company's cash cow was Sunflower Broadband which is no more. I'm sure it was a big hit to also loose the printing arrangement for the USA Today to Des Moines.

While no one likes less service, what is their alternative? Delivery to the porch is nice, but not a necessity. They are in the newspaper business, not the delivery business. Be thankful Lawrence still has a paper, and that the online version is available to all to read and comment on.

While I think the sale of Sunflower was a horrible mistake for the World Company, what was done is done and nothing is going to change that. Newspapers all over the country have to cut to the core just to keep going. Probably 20 years from now there won't even be many newspapers outside of large cities. I used the classified adds a couple of times, but all who responded had done so from CraigsList. People do not rely on the newspapers like they used to.

Also be thankful that this paper is fairly balanced. I was reading an editorial in another paper where criticism for a proposal made by the Republican-led legislature was briefly stated, and then almost apologetically excused why the Republicans had done so. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why someone would have taken that sort of tact with an editorial. Well another commenter let me in on the obvious that I was blind to: there was a connection of someone high up in this other newspaper with someone very high up in state politics.

I do not know the Simons family personally. I also don't always agree with every single statement made in editorials. While I haven't read every single story in the LJWorld, I have read quite a bit in the paper since I first came to KU In 1980. I cannot recall ever reading an editorial where it was so obvious that the editorial had to back off so as to not offend those high up in political power. Be thankful that Lawrence has such a paper.

blue73harley 2 years ago

I guess they didn't get the lesson that consumers taught Bank of America not too long ago.

headdoctor 2 years ago

Way to go Dolph. You sure know how to promote and sanctify the legacy of the Journal World. It hasn't soaked into to you yet that the circulation numbers are tied to the advertisement income which is where the money is. Seems to me like the last time you tried to boost the circulation numbers you offered a business subscription at a highly reduced annual rate and included two papers a day. I suspect the number of cancellations because of this will wipe out anything you gained in recent years.

Matthew Herbert 2 years ago

as I posted on Ralph Reed's letter of similar nature: free market capitalism is a beautiful thing. When I don't like something, I get to vote with my dollar which often has more impact than when i really vote in November. When people make dumb decisions, they are punished directly. I look forward to the free market effect LJW receives via this dumb decision. In the midst of the largest dropoff in print journalism in American history, the LJWorld has decided to decrease it's level of service, not increase it. Good luck with that.

Ragingbear 2 years ago

LJworld is just taking an example from the banks. Screw you, and now here's a convienience fee. It's the American Dream. Or Deram, or dreaem or something. .