Letters to the Editor

Porching charge

April 3, 2012

To the editor:

As threatened, on April 1, my daily Journal-World, which has for the last five years always appeared on my porch, suddenly appeared at the far end of my driveway. I was curious whether this would happen, as it was unclear whether “guaranteed porch delivery” meant “we’ll work hard to make sure you get porch delivery” or the veiled threat “you are guaranteed to not get your newspaper on your porch, unless you cough up 50 percent more a month.” As I expected, it was the latter.

Walking down my block Monday morning, seeing the sidewalk newly strewn with newspapers, I could only think “Thank you, Journal World, for making it that much harder for your elderly and disabled customers to retrieve their papers and for exploiting a new opportunity to gouge your loyal subscribers.”

I don’t mind if you’re a company that provides a new service in exchange for an additional charge. That’s fair. But the Journal-World has taken a new tack: “We won’t increase our customer service level and ask you to pay for it. Instead, we’ll DECREASE our level of service and make you pay more in order to regain it!” Congratulations, I can only imagine the high-fives in the marketing department the day that brilliant idea was hatched.

I look forward to the next phase of ratcheting down your customer service level: Will you supply the newspaper, but only in secret code form, easily deciphered with a decoder available for an additional monthly fee?

Comments

Ragingbear 2 years, 8 months ago

LJworld is just taking an example from the banks. Screw you, and now here's a convienience fee. It's the American Dream. Or Deram, or dreaem or something. .

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 8 months ago

as I posted on Ralph Reed's letter of similar nature: free market capitalism is a beautiful thing. When I don't like something, I get to vote with my dollar which often has more impact than when i really vote in November. When people make dumb decisions, they are punished directly. I look forward to the free market effect LJW receives via this dumb decision. In the midst of the largest dropoff in print journalism in American history, the LJWorld has decided to decrease it's level of service, not increase it. Good luck with that.

Alex Parker 2 years, 8 months ago

cheeseburger, the decision to add a charge for the premium porch delivery service was not made by one person.

headdoctor 2 years, 8 months ago

Way to go Dolph. You sure know how to promote and sanctify the legacy of the Journal World. It hasn't soaked into to you yet that the circulation numbers are tied to the advertisement income which is where the money is. Seems to me like the last time you tried to boost the circulation numbers you offered a business subscription at a highly reduced annual rate and included two papers a day. I suspect the number of cancellations because of this will wipe out anything you gained in recent years.

jafs 2 years, 8 months ago

Well, they didn't have to sell Sunflower Broadband, right? To drum up sympathy for them based on a bad decision seems funny to me.

And, delivery is part of the newspaper business.

Also, given that newspapers are struggling all over, it seems like an odd decision to either decrease your services or charge more - how do you imagine that will help a struggling business?

The better course for one of those would be to offer incentives for more people to use your services - sales, promotional offerings, etc.

Mike Ford 2 years, 8 months ago

I delivered the Manhattan Mercury in the 1980's when I lived there. I once got three stitches in my chin because I looked back on my moped to make sure the paper hit the porch and slid into a parked vehicle. I very sure these lazy people won't exert anywhere near that dedication in their extortion tactics/

annac 2 years, 8 months ago

I signed up by phone for porch delivery. Due to age and ailments, I've had this delivery for a while by agreement with my newspaper carrier through LJW, so I thought this simply meant LJW would pay the carrier more. What happened, however, is that the newspaper is being left at the end of driveway, near the street. A neighbor told me the carrier did not know where my house was ! I could not reach a live person by phone, tried several times, left messages for the circulation manager, had no reply. This is a mess. I would like my old carrier back but can't connect with LJW.

Alex Parker 2 years, 8 months ago

annac, I recommend emailing subs@ljworld.com. If you'd prefer, you can call me and I'll take a message for circulation, if you're still having trouble getting in touch. My number is 832-6356. If I'm not at my desk, I'll return your message ASAP.

Fossick 2 years, 8 months ago

World ends, elderly and disabled hardest hit.