Letters to the Editor

Delivery fee

April 3, 2012

To the editor:

On Dec. 11, 1997, the paper said, “We are in the process of changing to porch delivery in all Lawrence residential areas where it proves feasible. Although we do not charge more for porch delivery, your carrier receives additional compensation for providing that service.”

Now, for this “blue ribbon service,” we are required to pay an extra $5 per month. We used to tip our carrier for which the carrier put the paper on the porch. This will no longer happen as we’re being held ransom; in fact, this morning (Monday) the paper was in the grass, in the dark, and we didn’t see it until we drove out of the drive to go to work. I envision regular deliveries buried in the snow, in water and so on, rather than where the paper is easily accessible. Well done, this is why we canceled our subscription to the KC Star.

Additionally, who gets the $5 per month, the Journal-World or the delivery person? If you say the delivery person, how can you guarantee to your subscribers that what you say it true?

Ralph P. Reed,

Lawrence

Comments

BlackVelvet 3 years ago

Bye bye LJW....I can read you online. I won't ge held hostage. You have ":screwed the pooch" on this one. Bye bye.

headdoctor 3 years ago

Perhaps they should not have. I recall talking to the circulation manager at the time and I was told it was a business decision to fend off the Kansas City and Topeka papers who were making a push in Lawrence to increase their out of town circulation numbers. The Journal World was offering something they couldn't or wouldn't plus it cut down on the number of papers/expenses of having to replace stolen or damaged papers.

jafs 3 years ago

Oh - look at that.

Competition in a free market system at work.

jafs 3 years ago

Not at all.

You're the one you criticized them for doing it, not me.

jafs 3 years ago

According to headdoctor's post, they did it because of the need to compete in a free market with other newspapers.

So, your criticism of them is a criticism of competition in a free market.

headdoctor 3 years ago

Thanks for providing the date when porch delivery became policy. They were actually doing this in problem circumstances before this and was the primary reason why I started taking the paper again after they did away with afternoon delivery using mostly kids to do the routes.

BigAl 3 years ago

Nice try but you already get this paper online for free. Unlike you, a lot of us ARE paying for this. It seems to me that you and the Fox News lemmings are the hypocritical entitlement crowd.

headdoctor 3 years ago

This has nothing to do with entitlement chump. It has to do with changing a 14 year plus delivery policy and charging more for it. It might have helped if they had explained who was getting the porch fee in the first place. The roll out of this idea was as poor as their attempt to extort money for the green addition a while back. None of this would have helped keeping me as a subscriber because of track record. I would have automatically figured if Dolph was handing over the porch fee to the carriers he probably reduced their contract pay elsewhere.

The delivery people are already working for peanuts. Although they are at least working for it instead of living in their moms basement on a dime a year.

headdoctor 3 years ago

Oh, and please spare us the counter comment of I have a great job, a 6 figure income wife and how you don't live in your moms basement. First of all. No 6 figure income wife would put up with you lazing around trolling online all day or writing ignorant letters to the editor of various news papers. The only way that would happen is if you were a great piece of arm candy which doubt or you are disabled and drawing your own entitlement check.

headdoctor 3 years ago

Of course it is good in your eyes. Living in your moms basement without to many cares collecting an entitlement check.

It isn't just about the five bucks. It is the track record of LJW and how they went about this. I admit when it comes to money I am so tight I squeak when I move. I will not pay a $60 penalty on top of the annual subscription fee and tips for a service that they offered for the last 14 years plus for free. I will also not go back to crawling under my porch, into my bushes, digging it out from a snow drift, crawling under my vehicle or getting on the roof to retrieve my paper nor will I spend two days drying it out so I can read it. The Journal World has to have subscribers but I don"t need the the Journal World.

Compared then to now I would be better off paying for the broken window when the kids use to throw it to the porch which only happened once over a period of several years.

Matthew Herbert 3 years ago

free market capitalism is a beautiful thing. When I don't like something, I get to vote with my dollar which often has more impact than when I REALLY vote in November. When people make dumb decisions, they are punished directly. I look forward to the free market effect LJW receives via this dumb decision. In the midst of the largest dropoff in print journalism in American history, the LJWorld has decided to decrease it's level of service, not increase it. Good luck with that.

budwhysir 3 years ago

This is what I talk about in the previous article that I responded too. Charge $5.00 for a service, and you suddenly give the customer the right to complain. Therefore giving the paper the right to charge a fee to the carrier for the complaint. Profits by confusion, accounting by trickery. All Im saying is the porch fee will be collected but the carrier will end up paying some type of fees by the end of the month that are instated by the paper so they make a profit. Independent contractors, its all a play on words and numbers....... buyer beware.......

I always thought the LJW required its carriers to porch the paper. Therefore making this just another way of finding out who will complain if they pay extra and dont get the service. If they dont get the service and complain the LJW will charge the carrier a fee. That fee has not been stated so I would say it is possible that they charge the customer a $5.00 porch fee, and if they complain they charge the carrier a $7.00 complaint fee for no blue ribbon service. Net profit of $12.00 for LJW since the $5.00 was never given to the carrier and the complaint fee comes out of the paycheck before it is issued.

budwhysir 3 years ago

LJW= lets just walk..... cant we all just walk to get our paper? I understand the need for those with physical limitations, and those expectations should be met without an additional fee shouldnt they????