Letters to the Editor

Carriers hurt

April 3, 2012

To the editor:

With your new policy of charging $5 for porch delivery, you have, in many cases cut into to your carriers’ income. We have always tipped our carrier. Now we won’t be doing that. We realize that times are tough for the newspaper business as it is for most folks. It seems your plan is not well thought out. You are shrinking the size of your product and keeping the same subscription price. That is not a bargain. I think we will have to look elsewhere for our news and that is unfortunate for you and us.

Comments

patkindle 2 years ago

The company that owns a large chain a metro newspapers including the St Louis post dispatch recently announced a fee based system for Reading their papers on line. I can hardly wait for the ljw to pick up on this I can see many of the looney Lawrence liberals that suck Up the paper for free on line clutching their hearts and gasping When it occurs. They don’t like anything they have to pay for Besides they really don’t like anything for free either, it us just Easier to complain.

annac 2 years ago

I see the LJW got rid of the carrier I had before. They did not ask me, or I would have said NO. I left a message with the Circulation Manager asking for the name of my carrier and for my money back. No answer up till now, April 6!!!

George_Braziller 2 years ago

I still have four months left on my six month subscription which included porch delivery. How about a $20 reimbursement check for the service I paid for but now will not receive?

funkdog1 2 years ago

In defense of carriers, there's recently been a huge shakeup in the what carriers are being asked to do. They've all been asked to deliver significantly more papers than they were before (not sure if they're all the JW or if they're delivering other papers now) AND they're getting paid a few cents less per paper to do so. Hence the papers at the end of the driveway.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 years ago

And as with the dawn of today (Wednesday) I still have not received a paper anywhere!

Methinks that the brains at the JW (?) have really stepped in it now, they announce a new policy removing service from their delivery system unless the customer pays up, but for the first few days they cannot even get the paper on the driveway, in the bushes, or in the street!! It is 8:45 and I still have not seen my paper today (Wednesday)

It is a good thing these people are not running the railroads or we would be having freight trains in the middle of the street.

heygary 2 years ago

Having received the LJW for well over a decade, I have had several carriers. The ones that deliver to my door get a substantial Xmas tip, the one that did not got a card! Until MOnday the current carrier pitched the paper near the vacinity of my door ... now it is at the end of my drive! No $5 dollars and no tip from me!

abit_pssd 2 years ago

This is stupid, LJW. More will just cancel and go online. You will decrease your margins on raw materials, goods sold, and revenue leading to more job losses. Do you understand how to keep a business, based on manufacturing and production, can realistically ride out these challenging economic times? I do.

Look what happened to Sunflower Broadband. A company now up for resale......

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years ago

Larryvillage needs a "Town crier" . Like the good old days. Sandwich signs for "breaking" news would be riviting as well.

budwhysir 2 years ago

being carrier several times in my life, I will be the first to say that charging $5.00 to deliver to the porch will generate a large profit for the LJW. Carriers are charged a fee for all missed deliveries and "complaints" made by customers. I can not quote the exact dollar amount for each occurance, but the way I see it, if I am paying $5.00 extra to have my paper in a specific spot, I am probably going to complain if I am not able to walk to my door, open it, bend over and pick up the paper. People will view on the porch as right by the door so I dont have to walk anywhere to get it. The next fee will have to do with knocking on the door and handing you the paper, and another service will include a $20.00 a month fee to read the paper to you.

Now, if the LJW charges the customer $5.00 for porch service, and charges $1.00 per complaint to the carrier ($1.00 per complaint sticks in my mind) you can see that the LJW is still making a profit from the fee, it is like increasing the reasons to complain, therefore increasing the chances of getting complaints so they can charge the carrier. The LJW is just like a go between banker for getting the money to the carrier. The carrier is an independent contractor and is responsible for everything and charge for everything.

I can say that at one time, a paper route was a good teaching tool that allowed kids to learn about business and earn some good money. Now a paper route is just a raw deal that you will loose money on unless you are the paper company

fanofKU 2 years ago

The carrier CHOOSES to work for the Journal-World, so like a postal worker, they deliver through rain, sleet, and snow. Elderly people should have their paper on their porch because they can't afford a fall on ice or snow Broken hips and other bones cost a heck of a lot more than this $5 charge! I've lived in Lawrence 19 years and have NEVER had my paper delivered anywhere but the porch until Monday.

But, I agree, there is so little of the Journal-World these days is it really worth continuing? If I order the KC Star or the Capitol Journal I'll have to walk in the drive to get my paper but at least I'll have something to read. And, the Topeka paper has as much or more Lawrence information in it than our local paper.

Joe Hyde 2 years ago

You are a good person for tipping your carrier, and I can appreciate anyone not wanting to pay $5 more for anything they've been buying. But if I could make a couple of points in the Journal-World's behalf:

The days of neighbor kids walking the blocks with canvas bags slung over their shoulders, those days are gone. Newspapers nowadays get delivered by vehicle, drivers heaving the paper out the window onto your lawn or sidewalk, which many times involves pulling into a subscriber's long driveway before making the toss.

A porch delivery makes the driver stop at your house, park and exit the vehicle. Always the dellivery is made in the dark, often it is made during bad weather with extremely hazardous footing conditions. So the delivery person is already risking damage to their vehicle, and now they risk seriously injuring themselves so that you won't need to walk into your yard or drive to a coin box and approach it by foot to make the daily purchase.

When you spread out that $5 charge over the span of even the shortest duration subscription period the Journal-World offers, the time-savings, convenience and physical safety benefits subscribers enjoy from porch delivery makes that extra $Abe Lincoln quite a bargain. At least I think so.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 years ago

The "Public Forum" in the print version of today's newsrag states that "we want you to know that the entire amount of that charge goes to your carrier"!

Huh!!!!!!

My bill I just received for the next three months of the Urinial World still has a blank for a "carrier tip" and in addition a request for some sort of" donation"

You guys have got to get a shot of reality. "Tips" are for good service, at the resturant or for the paper carrier. No good service, no tip So you druids decide that the "tip" is to be mandatory,. Brilliant!! I hope that the lost income from those of us who are fed up with this shop worn journal of all the stuff we heard on Channel 6 last night or two weeks ago will be sitting at the unemployment office wondering what happened. This alleged "news paper" that was splashed today with all the great moments in last night's basketball loss is one of the worst news sources in this area. I wonder when the bankrupcy sale is scheduled?