Archive for Friday, September 30, 2011

Kansas’ tax collections exceed estimates by about 5 percent

September 30, 2011

— A new report says Kansas collected $27 million more in taxes than anticipated in September.

It was the sixth consecutive month that tax collections have exceeded expectations.

The state Department of Revenue issued preliminary figures Friday showing that Kansas received $562 million in tax revenues for the month, when the expected amount was $535 million. The difference is about 5 percent.

The department also said tax collections since July 1, when the current fiscal year began, were about $66 million ahead of expectations, again about 5 percent. Total collections for the three months were about $1.4 billion.

In September, individual income tax collections, at $275 million, were about 6 percent higher than anticipated, exceeding expectations by $15 million.

Corporate income and sales tax collections also exceeded expectations.

Comments

Scott Morgan 3 years, 7 months ago

Why would a sitting gov. want to take credit for a very positive turn for our state?

parrothead8 3 years, 7 months ago

Man, that $20 they saved by cutting all the state arts funding really saved the day.

WilburNether 3 years, 7 months ago

The little piggies who feed at the public trough don't like it when the flow of other people's money is cut off.

deec 3 years, 7 months ago

As long as then christianists are actively working toward establishing the U.S. as a christian theocracy, they deserve to be spoken of in a derogatory manner. Their message and goals are the diametric opposite of the words of their purported God, Jesus. As an American citizen, those who despise religious people are free to disparage them. The constitution does not just protect the rights of the religious, but also the rights of the irreligious. I'd like to keep it that way.

Jock Navels 3 years, 7 months ago

religion is like a penis...it's okay to have one, even be proud of it. but don't go waving it around in public, and definently don't try to ram it down people's throats.

jackpot 3 years, 7 months ago

Maybe now they can send me a refund. Only sent it in in Feb. Still waiting

GardenMomma 3 years, 7 months ago

Wonder how much of that will trickle down into funding education.

JayhawkFan1985 3 years, 7 months ago

State employees haven't had raises in five years. School districts have had their budgets slashed. SRS has tried to close offices with the local governments paying money to keep them open. The Arts Commission has been eliminated.

Maybe it is time to end the Cultural Revolution practiced by the Far Right. We need to walk forward, not continue this Great Leap Backward that Brownback has set us on.

Dave Trabert 3 years, 7 months ago

To believe school budgets were 'slashed' one must define a 0.4% decline in state aid as 'slashing' budgets. Total state aid to schools this year (according to KS Division of Budget) is $3.194 billion; last year it was $3.206 billion.

chootspa 3 years, 7 months ago

Since, he forgets to mention it, Dave Trabert lives in Wichita and is paid for his time spamming Kansas newspapers through his Koch-funded libertarian "think" tank. Dave currently also holds a position in the (also Koch-funded) ALEC, where he gets to rub elbows with politicians and influence pro-corporate "model legislation" handed out to the mostly Republican attendees who sometimes don't even bother to rephrase those bills before introducing them. His current causes include defunding our public education system by using our public taxpayer money to fund private and/or corporately run schools in the name of "choice." It's a Koch-funded astroturf movement, and I can connect the dots for you, Dave, if you want to deny it's anything other than that.

Yes, Dave, the decline in state aid is a slashing, especially when stimulus funds weren't replaced and when expenses haven't gone down. Last I checked we didn't move to the world where inflation works in reverse. How convenient of you to forget those details.

ResQd 3 years, 7 months ago

Sorry friend! I don't work for the state and haven't had a raise in 5years either, they just keep cutting back. Be thankful you have a job.

ljwhirled 3 years, 7 months ago

Woot! We now have a surplus.

Ignore the fact that we had to cut funding for the poor, those with mental health issues and our education budget.

Tax cuts now! All of us job creators did such a good job, we should get our money back.

Be sure to cut taxes for the highest earners. The working poor and the middle class didn't contribute to this surplus.

Tax Cuts For All (rich people)!!!!

jafs 3 years, 7 months ago

I think this is just collections, not including expenses.

Stuart Sweeney 3 years, 7 months ago

Let us put some of the extra into education, which took a huge hit with King Sams budget, so we can slow the race to the bottom this clown has us on!!!

LogicMan 3 years, 7 months ago

After replenishing the emergencies funds and paying down any short-term debt, and being sure we're not going into a double-dip recession, then yes definitely add support to education and other programs.

ljwhirled 3 years, 7 months ago

I employ 7 folks right now. I could easily create more (lots more), but the capital markets are jacked up and I don't have access to the funds I'd need to purchase the corresponding fixed assets.

By the standards of 99% of earth I am rich.

By American standards I am upper middle class.

By any standard, my success is the result of a combination of luck and hard work.

Note "luck". I was raised middle class, got lots of education opportunities, am very healthy, have a solid work ethic, happen to know/meet the right people to create success.

50% luck, 50% sweat. Most of us rich people don't acknowledge that. It is much better for the old ego to say it was 100% sweat. It never is.

Just so you know, that post above "Woot!..." was sarcasm.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it come to fruition though. The federal tax cuts in 1999 were made on exactly this premise. 12 years later our leadership is busy looking for spending cuts that will balance our budget.

They seem to have forgotten that the tax cuts came at a time of record surpluses.

Americans are so gullible. Sigh. Too much TV rots their tiny little brains. Fox News actually makes its viewers LESS informed.

This was/is an intentional strategy on the part of the libertarian wing of the Republican party:

1. The first rule of white club is you do not talk about white club.
  2. The second rule of white club is you do not talk about white club.
  3. Cut taxes when things are good.
  4. Create a budget deficit.
  5. Wait for bad things to happen.
  6. Cut taxes some more to "stimulate" the economy.
  7. Create a bigger budget deficit.
  8. Force spending cuts.
  9. Repeat until the United States is no longer a super power.

Oh, I forgot

1. Blame it all on liberals.
  2. Blame it all on liberals.
  3. Buy a whole bunch of media (newspapers, tv networks)
  4. Blame it all on liberals.
  5. Repeat until the United States is no longer a super power.
  6. Blame some more liberals.
  7. Yell simple statements really loud. If it is loud it is true.
  8. Blame some more liberals.

Sigh.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 7 months ago

I too am in that upper middle class. And I owned businesses that employed dozens before I got older and decided to sell. But to what do I attribute my success? Very little to luck. Because the bad luck cancelled out the good. Hard work, yes. That's about a third of it. The other two thirds was marrying someone who worked twice as hard as me. And I worked hard. We saved, We invested back into the business. We invested into our home. We had no more children than we could afford. We worked hard. We stayed married. We worked hard. We didn't go on vacations. We worked hard. As business owners, we worked all those holidays the employees didn't want. We worked when they were sick. We worked when we were sick. We both came from very humble beginnings.
So if the state now has a surplus of funds, and would like to give it back to those who earned it, I would be O.K. with that.

jafs 3 years, 7 months ago

The question is who "earned" it.

And, it's interesting that you don't credit much to luck.

Were you born in the ghetto to crack-addicted parents who never made it through high school?

Or did you, as I and lj had, have the benefit of a decent family upbringing, with enough material goods, educated parents, etc.?

Also, finding a woman who worked "twice as hard" as you who wanted to marry you could also be considered a form of luck.

I'm not trying to take away from your hard work, values, etc. Those are clearly valuable, and important factors in your success.

It's just that it's easy, as lj mentions, for people to forget about the luck they've had, and credit themselves with all the credit for success.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 7 months ago

Ghetto, no, crack addicted, crack had not yet been invented, so, no. Immigrant non-English speaking parents, yes. Poor neighborhood in a large city, yes. Divorced parents living thousands of miles apart, yes, so one parent was always absent, yes. High school graduate, no (my mistake). Neither parent finished high school but both worked at honest jobs their whole lives. That's it. But I will agree that meeting my wife was lucky so I'll concede that. But as anyone who has been married for a very long time will tell you, marriage is also a job. You need to work at it.

jafs 3 years, 7 months ago

Ok.

So, you weren't "privileged", but still had decent parents who weren't on drugs/prostitutes/etc.

They clearly had a sense of integrity and a work ethic that they passed to you, working "honest jobs" for their whole lives.

That in itself puts you a few legs up on many poor kids from ghetto neighborhoods, don't you think?

I agree about marriage - I just celebrated my 14th anniversary.

jafs 3 years, 7 months ago

Also, my life has had a share of difficulties as well, like everybody's.

We didn't have much money when I was growing up - my parents divorced when I was 18, and my father died when I was 26.

I went to public, not private schools, through high school.

But, I find a lot to be grateful for - my parents showed me that you don't have to have a lot of money to have enough, that a good life is one in which you're doing something you love with someone you love, that music and art are valuable, etc.

I also have had the good fortune of meeting many teachers/mentors etc. through my life.

Of course, I also try to make good choices and act well.

So, to me, the fact that my life works well is a combination of luck and my own actions.

I recommend a practice of gratitude - I've been doing it daily for some years now - sometime during the day, just consider the things that you're grateful for in your life.

You may be surprised at how much there is in that category once you start, and how easy it is to overlook it before you get in the habit.

jafs 3 years, 7 months ago

Glad to hear things worked out well for you.

Sounds like you had some adversity to overcome there.

KS 3 years, 7 months ago

Better spend that money before someone tries to save a little for a rainy day. It does rain, folks.