Archive for Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Great events

September 28, 2011


To the editor:

I’ve been to two exciting events in Lawrence in the past week. One was the Legends of the Phog game in Allen Fieldhouse on Saturday afternoon. Need I say more? Watching all those great former players on the court together was thrilling to say the least.

The other was the 10-year anniversary celebration of the Oncology Center at Lawrence Memorial Hospital on Sept. 20. As a current oncology patient, I just can’t say enough good things about the Oncology Center, or express enough gratitude that a town the size of Lawrence has such a top-notch facility.

Having breast cancer and going through chemotherapy was not on my bucket list of things to accomplish in my lifetime. But I can tell you for sure that if you have to go through it, there’s no better place to be than right here in Lawrence, Kansas!  A warm and welcoming environment, nurses and staff that are friendly, caring and downright fun and a team of exceptional doctors that is not only professional but so compassionate—what more could anyone ask for?

The basketball game was a lot of fun, and I appreciate the players and coaches who came back and put on such a great show for the Jayhawk fans. But in the big scheme of things, the 10-year anniversary of the Oncology Center was even more thrilling to me. To all of you who have made the center a reality, thank you from the bottom of my heart.


Charles L. Bloss, Jr. 6 years, 3 months ago

Better than dying, but if I had it to do I sure wouldn't go to LMH. I would go to Topeka or Kansas City. Every time I have interacted with LMH, it has been unpleasant. I fell and cut my head. I asked my wife to call their ER and see if they had a doctor there. Not on call, but actually there. The nurse would not answer her question, and rudely told her to bring me in and they would look at it. We went to St. Francis and it was stapled shut in short order by a nurse trained to to it, it was her first day there and she had to put 12 staples in. Had we gone to LMH, I expect I would have waited several hours before I could return home. Even with the hour driving time, by going to St. Francis, I was home in 1.5 hours. Thank you, Lynn

Commenting has been disabled for this item.