Archive for Thursday, September 22, 2011

Statehouse Live: Brownback endorses Perry for president

September 22, 2011, 6:51 a.m. Updated September 22, 2011, 3:10 p.m.

— Gov. Sam Brownback, who has said he wants to make Kansas more like Texas, now wants to make the whole United States more like Texas.

On Thursday, Brownback endorsed Texas Gov. Rick Perry for president.

“Rick Perry is the right leader for this moment in history,” Brownback said of his fellow Republican.

“Now more than ever, America needs a president who knows how to create jobs and stop Washington’s runaway spending,” he said.

Brownback, a friend of Perry’s, made headlines over the summer as the only governor to appear in person with Perry at a stadium prayer event in Houston that was put on by several groups that are highly critical of homosexuality and abortion rights.

On Thursday, he praised Perry’s record as governor in Texas, saying he cut taxes and helped Texas become a leader in job creation.

“On the most important issues of our time, his record of leadership serves as a blueprint for America’s renewal,” Brownback said.

Perry returned the praise, calling Brownback, a former senator and U.S. House member, “one of the most respected voices for conservatism in the country.”

Brownback has often used Texas as an example when touting his proposals to lower taxes and reduce regulations in Kansas.

Brownback was set to travel to Florida later Thursday as Perry’s guest at a Republican presidential candidate debate. Brownback’s office said that no state of Kansas funds are being expended for the trip.

Asked if he had any aspirations in a potential Perry administration, Brownback, who took office as governor in January, said, “No, thank you. I’m very happy with what I’m doing right now and fully occupied.”

In 2007, Brownback, then a U.S. senator, ran for the Republican Party nomination for president, but his campaign failed to gain any traction. Shortly afterward, he endorsed the eventual GOP nominee, Sen. John McCain.

During that campaign, Brownback was critical of Mitt Romney, who is seeking the nomination again and is seen as the chief rival to Perry.

Bob Beatty, a political science professor at Washburn University, said Brownback’s endorsement is a “natural fit” and will be of political value to Perry.

“The timing is very logical because what we could have in this Republican nomination is a mirror of the Democratic side in 2008 (between Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton).

“We might be seeing a more drawn-out contest between Perry and Romney; both are well-funded and both have strengths in certain areas. That means the March 10 Kansas Republican caucus plays a role,” he said.

Comments

jafs 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm shocked!

Who could possibly have seen this coming?

Eileen Jones 3 years, 3 months ago

Since Brownback cannot brown-nose Bush anymore, he picked the closest thing he could find to endorse.

Is it possible America has already forgotten what Bush did to America? Perry is more of the same, only shiftier.

cowboy 3 years, 3 months ago

Brownstains first choice was Bubbles the Chimp but he's not running so the default candidate was Perry.

CLARKKENT 3 years, 3 months ago

THAT IS ONE CANDIDATE ELIMINATED. IF BROWNBACK IS FOR PERRY, THAT TELLS ME I SHOULDN,T BE.

grammaddy 3 years, 3 months ago

No surprise here. I've been saying all along that the Governorship was just a stepping stone to the White House. I'm betting Perry picks him for a running mate. We're in BIG trouble now.

Bob Forer 3 years, 3 months ago

That is frightening. Perry very well could win the nomination, and with the economy still in the tank and no relief in sight, Obama is beatable. I still have a little faith in the American people, but you never know. Worse things have happened.

Grundoon Luna 3 years, 3 months ago

After Sammy was the only other Gov to show up at Perry's God-fest, I figured he was bucking to be tapped for the VP slot. I hope Perry does pick Sammy and it will be a sure loss. If not, the whole freakin' country will be Brownbackistan if those guys get in.

mloburgio 3 years, 3 months ago

What If the Tea Party Wins? They Have a Plan for the Constitution, and It Isn’t Pretty

It is difficult to count how many essential laws would simply cease to exist if the Tea Party won its battle to reshape our founding document, but a short list includes: ■Social Security and Medicare ■Medicaid, children's health insurance, and other health care programs ■All federal education programs ■All federal antipoverty programs ■Federal disaster relief ■Federal food safety inspections and other food safety programs ■Child labor laws, the minimum wage, overtime, and other labor protections ■Federal civil rights laws

Indeed, as this paper explains, many state lawmakers even embrace a discredited constitutional doctrine that threatens the union itself. http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2011/09/tea_party_constitution.html

jafs 3 years, 3 months ago

Thanks - that's interesting.

But, I think there's a valid discussion/debate to be had about the scope of the "general welfare" clause and the intent of the ICC, and what entails a "substantial effect" on interstate commerce.

And, that it's very possible that our large federal government that has a lot of power is not in fact what the founders intended.

jafs 3 years, 3 months ago

And, a funny part of that was the part in which the Constitution is supposed to have a clause stating that acts of Congress are the law of the land, regardless of the Constitution itself - aren't laws that are unconstitutional supposed to be overturned because of the Constitution?

Getaroom 3 years, 3 months ago

A Republican Army of Two, The Christian Crusader Soldiers taking the world back a few hundred thousand years and add Michelle Bachmann to the party and you have a good representation of life in Hades. And as an added bonus, as a package deal, if you support them all today you can get the devil and gayness counseled right out of you through Bachmann's saintly husband. The Trifecta of horror shows.

somedude20 3 years, 3 months ago

taking political advice from Brownback would be like taking musical advice from Milli Vanilli

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 3 months ago

Man, you guys are stealing all my thunder! Brownbackwards and Gov. Hair. What a great combo!! I am sure Puss Bimbo loves this one!!!!

jimmyjms 3 years, 3 months ago

You seem to not understand what "bigotry" means.

overthemoon 3 years, 3 months ago

Its not bigotry. Its the strong desire to keep religion out of our government. I have far greater fears for our 'Freedom' if the Christian Right gets a stronger foothold than I could ever have about 'socialism' or 'big government. Those people want you to behave according to their convoluted standards with no concern for your beliefs or best interests.

overthemoon 3 years, 2 months ago

I think you need to curb you desire to paint everyone who disagrees with you as a 'dirty unemployed hippie'. I am none of those.

Jan Rolls 3 years, 3 months ago

Thanks sham that helps Obama. Now that you have endorsed the guy that can't put two sentences together in a debate your lousy record will be in the national spotlight.

somedude20 3 years, 3 months ago

can't trash something that is not real!! jesus is bigfoot

chootspa 3 years, 3 months ago

I don't have a problem with Jesus, but I do have a problem with people who think they speak for Him.

Armored_One 3 years, 3 months ago

I believe in God. And Allah. And Buddha. Mainly because oen of them might exist. All of them might exist. None of them might exist.

Without the Bible itself, can you actually prove anything in the Bible actually happened, or should it, instead, be shelved next to Aesop's Fables, since the vast majority of the Bible is nothing but morality tale after morality tale.

Face it. No one wants to live in a theocracy.

johnwoods 3 years, 3 months ago

If Brownback is endorsing the candidate that helped add jobs in Texas shouldn't he endorse Obama? Looks like most of the added jobs are related to government jobs or health and education. Government jobs overall in the U.S. have declined... but not in Texas.

beatrice 3 years, 3 months ago

Jobs have been added in Texas, but what about Kansas? Is it the state and its resources, or the governor? Why can one Republican create jobs in one state but not another elsewhere?

Also, how many jobs could Brownback create if he were willing to allow the state to go $27 billion in debt?

Alceste 3 years, 3 months ago

A cowboy named Bud was overseeing his herd in a remote mountainous pasture in California when suddenly a brand-new BMW advanced toward him out of a cloud of dust.

The driver, a young man in a Brioni® suit, Gucci® shoes, RayBan® sunglasses and YSL® tie, leaned out the window and asked the cowboy, "If I tell you exactly how many cows and calves you have in your herd, will you give me a calf?"

Bud looks at the man, who obviously is a yuppie, then looks at his peacefully grazing herd and calmly answers, "Sure, why not?"

The yuppie parks his car, whips out his Dell® notebook computer, connects it to his Cingular RAZR V3® cell phone, and surfs to a NASA page on the Internet, where he calls up a GPS satellite to get an exact fix on his location which he then feeds to another NASA satellite that scans the area in an ultra-high-resolution photo.

The young man then opens the digital photo in Adobe Photoshop® and exports it to an image processing facility in Hamburg, Germany.

Within seconds, he receives an email on his Palm Pilot® that the image has been processed and the data stored. He then accesses an MS-SQL® database through an ODBC connected Excel® spreadsheet with email on his Blackberry® and, after a few minutes, receives a response.

Finally, he prints out a full-color, 150-page report on his hi-tech, miniaturized HP LaserJet® printer, turns to the cowboy and says, "You have exactly 1,586 cows and calves."

"That's right. Well, I guess you can take one of my calves," says Bud.

He watches the young man select one of the animals and looks on with amusement as the young man stuffs it into the trunk of his car.

Then Bud says to the young man, "Hey, if I can tell you exactly what your business is, will you give me back my calf?"

The young man thinks about it for a second and then says, "Okay, why not?"

"You're a Congressman for the U.S. Government", says Bud.

"Wow! That's correct," says the yuppie, "but how did you guess that?"

"No guessing required." answered the cowboy. "You showed up here even though nobody called you; you want to get paid for an answer I already knew, to a question I never asked. You used millions of dollars worth of equipment trying to show me how much smarter than me you are; and you don't know a thing about how working people make a living - or about cows, for that matter. This is a herd of sheep.

"Now give me back my dog."

Armored_One 3 years, 3 months ago

I didn't know there were stories about Brownback in his younger days. Thanks. =)

Liberty275 3 years, 2 months ago

"This is a herd of sheep.

"Now give me back my dog."

LOL. That was a lot of writing, and we thank you for it... Give me back my dog. It's funny because it's true!

beatrice 3 years, 3 months ago

I've alread said this, but it is worth repeating.

Brownback attended Perry's Prayapalooza recently, and in the first day of trading after the event stocks fell more than 600 points. Perry then declared he was going to run for president, and Texas caught on fire. Is he waiting for a swarm of locusts before he starts paying attention to the signs from God that he shouldn't be aiming for a national stage?

verity 3 years, 3 months ago

Oh my, beatrice, just before I read your post I glanced at a headline "Wall Street sharply lower on fears about economy." I do think you might be on to something.

verity 3 years, 3 months ago

". . . one of the most respected voices for conservatism in this country." Apparently the bar is pretty low. Which is really unfortunate for everybody.

My prediction: Perry will not choose Brownback as running mate. He would have to be a fool to do so (well, an even bigger fool). He needs to balance out his ticket in a number of ways, one is geographical and one is on the political scale. Two extremists would scare off too many people.

Also, and this is of course entirely my opinion, where Brownback seems to really believe in the faith-based life, or more likely, believe that he believes in it, I think that Perry is just an opportunist and that whole prayer thing was just for show.

heygary 3 years, 3 months ago

"Bubbles the Chimp"

If Obama continues on his present course, Bubbles is all it would take to oust this administration!

I'm thinking Perry and Bachman are an unbeatable team. Most of the voters are about as informed as you folks. Put a female on the ballot and 90% of the "independents" will vote them in.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 3 months ago

Odd. That didn't happen with Palin and Bachman is even loonier than Palin. She may not see Russia from her back yard but she certainly knows how to "pray away the gay". I also find it hilarious that you think that most "independents" are shallow enough to vote for someone just on gender. Keep trying.

ThePilgrim 3 years, 3 months ago

"one of the most respected voices for conservatism in this country."

In what universe?

Brownback gets all twitterpated with the idea that he could be cjhosen by Perry as a running mate (terrible idea), or for his Cabinet (better idea - we get rid of him, like Sebelius).

Eileen Jones 3 years, 3 months ago

All the better when Perry/Brownback loses. There aren't enough tea party people in the country to carry a national election. And nobody in the center would even consider that ticket.

verity 3 years, 3 months ago

Unfortunately we would still have Brownback because I doubt he would resign to run.

Stuart Sweeney 3 years, 3 months ago

Let's send Brownback to Texas he like the place so damned well he can have it and Perry too!

yourworstnightmare 3 years, 3 months ago

BAA, you sure do seem to spend a lot of time and energy battling this little speck of blue in a sea of red on this forum. Are you threatened by Lawrence? Why don't you post your inanities on the Liberal of Great Bend newspaper?

BTW, every time you log on to the LJW site to post an inane comment, the LJW registers this and presents numbers to their advertisers.

Thank you, BAA, for contributing to the economy of this little speck of blue in a sea of red.

Please respond to my post and boost the Lawrence economy, if only ever so slightly.

Eileen Jones 3 years, 3 months ago

There's a reason why everyone who visits Lawrence loves it here.

CreatureComforts 3 years, 2 months ago

Proof to back up that ridiculous statement?

Eride 3 years, 3 months ago

If we are lucky Brownback will run as Perry's VP and we can be rid of him...

yourworstnightmare 3 years, 3 months ago

Perry/Brownback 2012!

This ticket would guarantee the re-election of Barack Obama

Liberty275 3 years, 2 months ago

You can leave off the "pulse" part. I'd vote for the tree in my front yard before I would for Commander in Chief Downgrade.

Eileen Jones 3 years, 3 months ago

When Brownback was governor there wasn't a single policy or action of Bush's that I ever heard him oppose. I quit sending him letters because the automatic rubber stamping of all things Bush got to be too sickening. It was pointless to communicate with him.

It's no wonder he's endorsing Rick Bush, er, Perry.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm guessing you mean, "When Brownback was in the Senate...".

"I quit sending him letters because the automatic rubber stamping of all things Bush got to be too sickening. It was pointless to communicate with him."

I sent Brownback and Dennis Moore identical letters regarding legislation of two almost identical bills, one in the Senate and one in the House. I received back a thoughtful letter from Moore that addressed what I wrote about and was hand signed. I received back a form letter from Brownback that had nothing to do with what I had written about, was full of "politicalese" word garbage and had an obviously electronic signature. You can guess which one I kept and which one I trashed.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 2 months ago

Hey, Governer Hair! Yes, you who claims sainthood in Texas. You who holds a gigantic hemongus relgious stadium filler to "pray for the country" and invite Governer Brownbackwards to be your guestl.

Read Matthew 6:6

"But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

I do not think that any of these theocrats who love to wear their "religion" on their sleeves have any idea of what the true nature of religion is, to them it is just another grandstanding effort to try to flummox the voters into believing that they are the "right" people. Well, I guess if you think of it, they are "right" people. Remember that the National Socialist German Workers Party (Nazi for short in German) was really far right.

Keep that in mind as you mull over Governer Sham and Governer Hair.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 2 months ago

Last night at a Republican Candidate love fest, there was a gay soldier who spoke to the group from overseas with his concerns about the treatment of gays and lesbians in the military. Some jackass in the audiance booed him. Others shouted down the jackass.

The Replican jackass group on the stage did not address this deplorable behavior of a supporter disrespecting a soldier defending their miserable asses in a war zone.

This is what you get with the Republican Terrorist Party. You want these people as President??????

blindrabbit 3 years, 2 months ago

Brownie is nuts! Perry will eventually go down in flames, making his praying buddy look even more ridiculous. Why would someone endorse an unknown so early in the primary season without some idea where he is really coming from. Perry is beginning to make Bachmann, Palin and Santorum look sensible; which we know they are not! God bless all, everyone!. I'm heading back to b-b-b-Brownbackistan!

blindrabbit 3 years, 2 months ago

To show how close minded Perry is, his Texas and his northern neighbor Oklahoma are having historical drought and fires; yet Perry and his equally loony Oklahoma Senator James Inhofe are totally convinced that there is no issue with global climate change. Of course both of these guys hands are dripping with petroleum dollars and both have breathed in a little too much carbon dioxide. Both are convinced that man has had little impact on climatic changes and that is man's prerogative to reap (rape) the planet for their gain. After all I'm sure they have prayed to God for guidance.