Archive for Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Tonganoxie man, 49, suffers serious injuries in accident early Wednesday morning in rural Leavenworth County

September 21, 2011

A Tonganoxie man was in serious condition at an area hospital following a rollover accident early Wednesday morning about four miles east of Tonganoxie.

A Leavenworth County Sheriff’s officer was dispatched about 3:40 a.m. to the 17900 block of Evans Road after the driver of a black 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee, David V. Finlay, 49, Tonganoxie, swerved to avoid hitting a deer and lost control of the vehicle.

Finlay was taken to Kansas University Hospital with what appeared to be head and ear lacerations, according to the officer. A hospital official said Finlay was listed in serious condition Wednesday afternoon.

The Jeep’s air bags deployed, and Finlay was wearing a seat belt when the crash occurred, reports said.

Alcohol may have been a factor in the crash and test results are pending, according to the sheriff’s office.

Comments

budtugly 3 years, 3 months ago

They need to open Deer Season for about a month.

harleywife 3 years, 3 months ago

Totally agree!!! It will not hurt when deer season really opens, there is plenty of deer to shoot.... well if they don't get hit before then.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 3 months ago

It is true that there is a problem with an overpopulation of deer. It's mostly due to the fact that one of their major predators, the wolf, has been hunted to near extinction in many parts of the country.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 3 months ago

"swerved to avoid hitting a deer and lost control of the vehicle."

Again and again, it's in the news that swerving to miss a deer is usually not the best thing to do, but it still happens again and again.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 3 months ago

From the website of the Commissioner of Insurance of the state of Wisconsin:

"If you see a deer in front of you, brake firmly, don't swerve, stay in your lane and bring your vehicle to a controlled stop. It is better to hit the deer than to swerve and lose control of your vehicle and risk rolling over or hitting a tree or oncoming traffic."

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 3 months ago

There is no telling how many lives ABS has saved!

John Hamm 3 years, 3 months ago

Swerved to miss a dear - investigating if alcohol may have been a factor.............. Maybe no deer?

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 3 months ago

No deer? Oh dear!

But, I do know exactly what you mean. I used to know someone that drove off the left hand side of the highway into the ditch, and crashed against some shrubbery while driving while suspended. I think that was his third citation for driving while suspended, and he was still getting continuance after continuance for his DUI #2, DUI #3, & one driving while suspended in Wyandotte county (Kansas City). And he had/has a few other citations, court date pending last I knew of, for various infractions and at least one other wreck in Douglas county as well. He simply can't drive, and the state of Kansas is having a great deal of difficulty keeping him off the road. It appears to me that the only way he can be kept from driving is to keep him in jail.

When he told me about his latest wreck that I know of, when he simply drove off the left hand side of the highway into the ditch, I think he told me the truth: "I was looking for my cell phone."

Next story: "Maybe I saw a deer."

Later: "I saw a deer!"

Shockem211 3 years, 3 months ago

It is in fact deer season right now. Archery and Muzzleloader season that is... I know this for a fact, as a deer was hanging in my garage Monday evening, thus I avoided the garage.

RoeDapple 3 years, 3 months ago

Where are the deer getting their alcohol?

imastinker 3 years, 3 months ago

If Kansas wanted a lower deep population they could open it up longer for rifle season and make deer hunting cheaper. Right now deer hunting costs about what buying meat at the store does, if you eat it. It's $200 before you even go out.