Letters to the Editor

Book questioned

September 19, 2011

To the editor:

Are we to learn a lesson in fundamental Christian values from the article on the success of “The Original Argument: The Federalists’ Case for the Constitution” (Journal-World, Sept. 14)? Glenn Beck allows his name to be splashed across the cover of a book he didn’t write. That’s called plagiarism.  The true author, Josh Charles, goes along with the travesty of having his name relegated to the inside cover (as junior author?) for the sake of the sales impact of the Beck name. The original authors, Alexander Hamilton, James Madison and John Jay, are unlikely to share in the rich royalties, but we may hope that they receive some acknowledgement.

Having read several of “The Federalist” tracts in Western Civilization many years ago at Kansas University, I’m not convinced that a modernization is necessary. Given the circumstances surrounding “The Original Argument …, ” I would want to read it with The Federalist at hand to see what might have been lost – or added – in translation.

Comments

Benjamin Roberts 3 years, 3 months ago

"Are we to learn a lesson in fundamental Christian values from the article on the success of “The Original Argument: The Federalists’ Case for the Constitution” (Journal-World, Sept. 14)?"

I refer Mr. Enos to his own concluding sentence, "I would want to read it with The Federalist at hand to see what might have been lost – or added – in translation."

Perhaps after you have followed your own advice (that is, read the book), you can get back to us with something of greater merit than, "I don't like Glenn Beck."

Kendall Simmons 3 years, 3 months ago

Well, Enos is wrong that it was plagiarism. Beck doesn't actually claim that he rewrote the Federalist Papers and or that the commentary wasn't written by himself alone but also by members of his staff.

But Enos is right in that Beck allowed his name...and his name only...to be splashed across the cover AS IF he were the sole author. And his name only to be used in all the marketing. Sure...it was a marketing thing. And, yes, the title page gave credit to everyone.

So, no...I didn't get the sense that Enos was saying "I don't like Glenn Beck:. Rather, I got the sense that he was saying "I don't like what Glenn Beck did and allowed, even if it was just for book sales, and I don't consider misleading people for book sales particularly Christian."

Darrell Lea 3 years, 3 months ago

plagiarize |ˈplājəˌrīz| verb [ trans. ] take (the work or an idea of someone else) and pass it off as one's own. • copy from (someone) in such a way.

paraphrase |ˈparəˌfrāz| verb [ trans. ] express the meaning of (the writer or speaker or something written or spoken) using different words, esp. to achieve greater clarity : you can either quote or paraphrase literary texts.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 3 months ago

Me neither. People that make fun of little kids are not nice people.

geekin_topekan 3 years, 3 months ago

In 1785, Madison wrote in his Memorial and Remonstrance against Religious Assessments: "What influence, in fact, have ecclesiastical establishments had on society? In some instances they have been seen to erect a spiritual tyranny on the ruins of the civil authority; on many instances they have been seen upholding the thrones of political tyranny; in no instance have they been the guardians of the liberties of the people. Rulers who wish to subvert the public liberty may have found an established clergy convenient auxiliaries. A just government, instituted to secure and perpetuate it, needs them not."

http://www.earlyamerica.com/review/summer97/secular.html +++

How could you possibly rewrite this without changing the parts you don't agree with?

Fred Mertz 3 years, 3 months ago

I haven't read the book but I looked it up and read the reviews and what I got from them is that Beck includes the original language, but adds a modern version of the text to make understanding it easier.

He doesn't rewrite it, but translate it into modern English.

rtwngr 3 years, 3 months ago

Nice job of taking something out of context to bolster an argument against religion.

"I have sometimes thought there could not be a stronger testimony in favor of religion or against temporal enjoyments, even the most rational and manly, than for men who occupy the most honorable and gainful departments and [who] are rising in reputation and wealth, publicly to declare their unsatisfactoriness by becoming fervent advocates of Christ; and I wish you may give in your eveidence in this way." James Madison

See, I can do that too.

somedude20 3 years, 3 months ago

I don't like Blen Geck!!!

!!!!Kceg nelb ekil t'nod I

jayhawxrok 3 years, 3 months ago

Beck is a documented liar and an all around jerk.