Letters to the Editor

Reality check

September 10, 2011

To the editor:

I am one of those performing artists who was sponsored by the Kansas Arts Commission until Gov. Brownback eliminated funding. This “money-saving” decision cost Kansas artists $1.3 million in grants (i.e., jobs) from the National Endowment for the Arts and the Mid-America Arts Alliance.

Last week, I received a letter from the Mid-America Arts Alliance explaining that, since Kansas is now the only state in the union without an arts council, it could no longer accept applications for sponsorship from Kansas artists and existing agreements would be void as of this July. In other words, Kansas artists need not apply.

Gov. Brownback assured us that his decision would not seriously damage support for the arts because private donors would step forward. So, Governor, show us the money.  I suspect the reason he refuses to even say how much has been raised is that the amount is so paltry compared to the $1.3 million (jobs!) lost that he knows he’ll look ridiculous. Better to hunker down and avoid answering the question.

Man up, Governor. It is reality check time.

Comments

devobrun 2 years, 7 months ago

I have no opinion regarding art. Life is so much better that way.
You don't have to defend your opinion. You don't have to defend art. It changes nothing in your life either way. You can like, or not, and just go about your path in life.

But if you think that art is to be supported by me......through some public taxation.......go to he double hockey sticks.

Liberty275 2 years, 7 months ago

"I already work a full-time government service job."

You already work for the government full time AND you want them to give you more money to pursue an artistic career? You know that money comes out of the pockets of people that are scratching and scraping to keep what they have right now, don't you?

Larry Carter 2 years, 7 months ago

Carter, I read your bowel movement 'Reality check'.....So you lost your money grabbing scam! I for one do not want to pay for your and your like to play your stupid music and draw your stupid so called art or weld old iron together and have it set purchased and set on the street by the idiotic city leaders. You could get a job and make your own spending money. I'm already having to spend money to the school district and they have art classes for grades 1-12. That is enough!! Or hell just join the military and do something important for this country!! Semper Fi!! GySgt. G. Johns USMC (Ret.)

GySgt Guy Johns,

We obviously disagree on the value of art. You might want to know that I appreciate your service to our country and that, although I'm not with the military, I already work a full-time government service job.

Since you are so vocal with your criticism, I assume you won't mind if I post this exchange online. Those of us who support the arts should know the vehemence of the opposition.

Larry Carter

mr_right_wing 2 years, 7 months ago

So are you saying that we'll soon be seeing you downtown, with hat in hand?

When you see me, remind me and I'll put a buck in.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 7 months ago

I want my tax dollars coming home to support Larry Carter. At least Larry Carter did not play a part in the 1st or 2nd home loan scams that brought the nations economy to its' knees.

Look how many worthless politicians our tax dollars support such as the entire Kansas delegation. They are all RINO's.

In fact it is my belief that my tax dollars should come home in the form of Single Payer Medicare Insurance for all of us. Face it $2500 a year for 24/7 coverage is far better than $13,000-$18,000 a year for the same coverage.

It is stunning how many worship RINO's and the BS they put out as facts.

Darrell Lea 2 years, 7 months ago

Dear Liberty_One - I believe the comment I quoted was attached to the ID "Liberty275," yet you responded to my post in the first person singular tense, i.e. "I express hatred towards the initiation of violence."

I don't believe I quoted you, unless you are posting to this thread under multiple IDs and aren't keeping track of who said what.

Darrell Lea 2 years, 7 months ago

Larry Carter is a good man who, in addition to being a performing artist, works forty hours a week at a job that has nothing to do with the arts. Most artists have to do that in Kansas to survive.

Anyone who would say derogatory about someone who works that much, i.e. "You are a parasite. Your host is dead. You should become a gainfully-employed asset to your species and pay for your own art." is openly expressing pathetic hatred of their fellow human and prejudicial ignorance to a high degree.

overplayedhistory 2 years, 7 months ago

BrownGov looked ridiculous before 70% of voters voted for him. The only people who look ridiculous now that he GOV is Kansans, for being to lazy to do research before casting votes, with the usual blind faith based zeal.

Mike Ford 2 years, 7 months ago

like conservatives know what art is...aren't they the prudes who covered classic roman nudes in government buildings and probably hate American Gothic because it paints them as the soulless people they are?

voevoda 2 years, 7 months ago

Liberty_One and Liberty275, Why do you persist in labeling everybody who receives pay for their labors from government sources "parasites"? Most of them are doing valuable work from which at least a significant segment of the population benefits, directly or indirectly. If Mr. Carter is a performing artist, that means that his art benefited the members of his audiences. That makes him a person like any other who performs a service, and thus no more a "parasite" than a person who works for a private business.
Marxist philosophers similarly labels a whole swathe of the working population to be "parasites," except they apply that label to private business owners and their white-collar employees. Maybe people like you, Liberty_One and Liberty275. I'm sure that you don't want to be labeled that way, or to be forced to defend your worth to somebody who starts out from an antagonistic ideological position. "Do unto others as you would have done unto you."

Liberty_One 2 years, 7 months ago

There's plenty of private support for the arts. Everyone here has likely spent money on the arts in the past week. It's just that your art isn't worth anything to anyone, Larry.

Liberty275 2 years, 7 months ago

Dear Larry,

I'm one of those artists (I do have a fine arts degree) that wasn't affected by Brownback/arts defunding. I remain unaffected because I work for a fellow that doesn't like the government, but will put moderate sums of money in my bank account every other week for doing things other than art. I can use that money to support any art I wish to create and the time off to VOLUNTEER to help other artistic entities.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 7 months ago

"Kansas is now the only state in the union without an arts council"

We're also the home of the only known congregation of the Westboro Baptist Church.

And Dorothy and Toto came from here.

We are all very proud of the reputation of the state that we love, aren't we?